- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Visualization of Dynamic Simulation Data for Power System Stability Assessment
- Song, Chong-Suk (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Jang, Gil-Soo (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Park, Chang-Hyun (Department of Electrical Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2010.09.30
- Accepted : 2011.04.21
- Published : 2011.07.01
Power system analyses, which involve the handling of massive data volumes, necessitate the use of effective visualization methods to facilitate analysis and assist the user in obtaining a clear understanding of the present state of the system. This paper introduces an interface that compensates for the limitations of the visualization modules of dynamic security assessment tools, such as PSS/e and TSAT, for power system variables including generator rotor angle and frequency. The compensation is made possible through the automatic provision of dynamic simulation data in visualized and tabular form for better data intuition, thereby considerably reducing the redundant manual operation and time required for data analysis. The interface also determines whether the generators are stable through a generator instability algorithm that scans simulation data and checks for an increase in swing or divergence. The proposed visualization methods are applied to the dynamic simulation results for contingencies in the Korean Electric Power Corporation system, and have been tested by power system researchers to verify the effectiveness of the data visualization interface.
- F. F. Wu, K. Moslehi and A. Bose, "Power System Control Centers: Past, Present, and Future," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 93, No. 11, pp. 1890-1908, Nov. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2005.857499
- H. Mitsui and R.D. Christie, "Visualizing voltage profiles for large scale power systems," IEEE Computer Applications in Power, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 32-37, Jul. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/67.595289
- J.D. Weber and T.J. Overbye, "Voltage Contours for Power System Visualization," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 404-409, Feb. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.852151
- T.J. Overbye, "Wide-area Power System Visualization with Geographical Data Views," Power and Energy Society General Meeting: Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st century, pp. 1-3, Jul. 2008.
- J.N. Bank, R.M. Gardner, S.J.S. Tsai, K.S. Kook, and L. Yilu, "Visualization of Wide-Area Frequency Measurement Information," Power Engineering Society General Meeting, pp. 1-8, Jun. 2007.
- C.L. Su and B.Y. Jau, "Visualization of Wide Area Dynamics in Power Network for Oscillatory Stability Assessment," Intelligent Systems Applications to Power Systems 2007, pp. 1-6, Nov. 2007.
- T.J. Overbye, D.A. Wiegmann, A.M. Rich and Y. Sun, "Human Factors Aspects of Power System Voltage Contour Visualizations," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 76-82, Feb. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2002.807060
- T.J. Overbye, D.A. Wiegmann, A.M. Rich and Y. Sun, "Human Factors Analysis of Power System Visualizations," Proceedings of the 34th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp. 647-52, Jan. 2001.
- Power System Relaying Committee of the IEEE Power Engineering Society, "IEEE Guide for Abnormal Frequency Protection for Power Frequency for Power Generating Plants," IEEE Std C37. 106-2003, 2004.
- S. Patel, "Performance of Generation Protection during Major System Disturbances," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 1650-62, Oct. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2003.820613
- Power System Relaying Committee of the IEEE Power Engineering Society, "IEEE Guide for AC Generator Protection," IEEE Std C37.102-2006, 2006.