- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Maximizing the Overall Satisfaction Degree of all Participants in the Market Using Real Code-based Genetic Algorithm by Optimally Locating and Sizing the Thyristor-Controlled Series Capacitor
- Nabavi, Seyed M.H. (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Tabriz Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Hajforoosh, Somayeh (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Tabriz Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Hajforoosh, Sajad (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Tabriz Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Karimi, Ali (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Tabriz Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Khafafi, Kamran (Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Tabriz Branch, Islamic Azad University)
- Received : 2010.09.14
- Accepted : 2011.03.03
- Published : 2011.07.01
The present paper presents a genetic algorithm (GA) to maximize social welfare and perform congestion management by optimally placing and sizing one Thyristor-Controlled Series Capacitor (TCSC) device in a double-sided auction market. Simulation results, with line flow constraints before and after the compensation, are compared through the Sequential Quadratic Programming SQP method, and are used to analyze the effect of TCSC on the congestion levels of modified IEEE 14-bus and 30-bus test systems. Quadratic, smooth and nonsmooth (with sine components due to valve point loading effect) generator cost curves, and quadratic smooth consumer benefit functions are considered. The main aims of the present study are the inclusion of customer benefit in the social welfare maximization and congestion management objective function, the consideration of nonsmooth generator characteristics, and the optimal locating and sizing of the TCSC using real code-based GA to guarantee fast convergence to the best solution.
- D. Shirmohammadi, B. Wollenberg, A. Vojdani, P. Sandrin, M. Pereira, F. Rahimi, T. Schneider and B. Stott, "Transmission dispatch and congestion management in the emerging energy market structures", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 13, Issue 4, pp. 1466-1474, Nov. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.736292
- J. Hazra and A.K. Sinha, "Congestion management using multi objective particle swarm optimization", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 22, Issue 4, pp. 1726-1734, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2007.907532
- S.M.H. Nabavi, S. Jadid, M.A.S. Masoum and A. Kazemi, "Congestion management in nodal pricing with genetic algorithm", International Conference on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Syst., PEDES'06, pp. 1-5, 12-15 Dec. 2006.
- C.Z. Karatekin and C. Uçak, "Sensitivity analysis based on transmission line susceptances for congestion management", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 78, Issue 9, pp. 1485-1493, Sept. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2008.01.011
- D. Gautam, N. Mithulananthan, "Locating Distributed Generator in the LMP-based Electricity Market for Social Welfare Maximization", Electric Power Components and Systems, 35 (5), pp. 489-503 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1080/15325000601078146
- J. D. Weber and T. J. Overbye, "An individual welfare maximization algorithm for electricity markets", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., 17(3), pp 590-596 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2002.800899
- L, Hongrui, S. Yanfang, Z.B. Zabinsky, L. Chen- Ching, A. Courts, and J. Sung-Kwan, "Social welfare maximization in transmission enhancement considering network congestion", IEEE Trans. Power Syst, 23(3), pp 1105-1114 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2008.926717
- P. A. J. Fonseka and G. B. Shrestha, "Network expansion under frameworks of regulated monopoly and merchant transmission," IEEE Singapore Power Tech. Conf., 2, pp. 1716-1721 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICPST.2004.1460280
- M. O. Buygi, G. Balzer, H. M. Shanechi, and M. Shahidehpour, "Market-based transmission expansion planning," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., 19 (4), pp. 2060-2067 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.836252
- S. Gerbex, R. Cherkaoui and A.J. Germond, "Optimal location of multitype FACTS devices in a power system by means of genetic algorithms", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 16, pp. 537-544, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.932292
- S.N. Singh and A.K. David, "Optimal location of FACTS devices for congestion management", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 58, Issue 2, pp. 71-79, 21 June 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(01)00087-6
- S. Bruno and M. LaScala, "Unified power flow controllers for security constrained transmission management", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., pp. 418-426, 18 February 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2003.820694
- K.S. Verma, S.N. Singh and H.O. Gupta, "Location of unified power flow controller for congestion management", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 58, Issue 2, pp. 89-96, 21 June 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(01)00123-7
- J. Zhang and A. Yokoyama, "Optimal power flow control for congestion management by interline power flow controller (IPFC)", International Conference on Power System Technology, PowerCon, pp.1-6, Oct. 2006.
- G.B. Shrestha and W. Feng, "Effects of series compensation on spot price power markets", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 27, pp. 428-436, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2005.03.001
- Kankar Bhattacharya, Math H. J. Bollen, Jaap E. Daalder, "Operation of restructured power systems" Springer, 2001
- K. Singh, N.P. Padhy, and J.D. Sharma, "Social welfare maximization considering reactive power and congestion management in the deregulated environment", Electric Power Components and System, 38(1), pp 50-71(2010).
- S. Sayah and Kh. Zehar, "Modified differential evolution algorithm for optimal power flow with nonsmooth cost functions", Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 49, pp. 3036-3042, 2008.
- X. P. Wang and L. P. Cao, "Genetic algorithms - theory, application and software realization", Xi'an Jiaotong University, Xi'an, China, 1998.
- Y. L. Abdel-Magid, M. A. Abido, S. Al-Baiyat, and A. H. Mantawy, "Simultaneous stabilization of multimachine power systems via genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 14, pp. 1428-1439, Nov. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.801907
- Daneshfar, F., Bevrani, H., "Load-frequency control: a GA-based multi-agent reinforcement learning", Generation, Transmission & Distribution, IET,Vol: 4, Issue: 1, 2010, pp. 13-26 https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2009.0168
- Furong Li, Pilgrim, J.D., Dabeedin, C., Chebbo, A., Aggarwal, R.K., "Genetic algorithms for optimal reactive power compensation on the national grid system", IEEE Trans. Power Syst.,Vol. 20, 2005, pp. 493-500 https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.841236
- A. Ulinuha, M.A.S. Masoum and S.M. Islam, "Optimal Scheduling of LTC and Shunt Capacitors in Large Distorted Distribution Systems using Genetic Algorithms", IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol.23, No.1, pp.434-441, Jan 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.911166
- Senjyu, T., Saber, A.Y., Miyagi, T., Shimabukuro, K., Urasaki, N., Funabashi, T., "Fast technique for unit commitment by genetic algorithm based on unit clustering", IEEE Trans. Power Syst.,Vol. 152, 2005, pp. 705-713. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20045299
- Bhattacharya, A., Chattopadhyay, P.K., "Biogeography- Based Optimization for Different Economic Load Dispatch Problems", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 25, 2010, pp. 1064-1077. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2009.2034525
- Todorovski, M., Rajicic, D., "An initialization procedure in solving optimal power flow by genetic algorithm", IEEE Trans. Power Syst.,Vol. 21, 2006, pp. 480-487. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2006.873120
- Kannan, S., Baskar, S., McCalley, J.D., Murugan, P., "Application of NSGA-II Algorithm to Generation Expansion Planning", IEEE Trans. Power Syst.,Vol. 24, 2009, pp. 454-461. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2008.2004737
- Granelli, G., Montagna, M., Zanellini, F.; Bresesti, P.; Vailati, R.; "A genetic algorithm-based procedure to optimize system topology against parallel flows", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 21, 2006, pp. 333-340. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.860921
- Ying-Yi Hong Saw-Yu Ho, "Genetic algorithm based network reconfiguration for loss minimization in distribution systems", Power Engineering Society General Meeting, 2003, IEEE. https://doi.org/10.1109/PES.2003.1267225
- E. Haesen, M. Espinoza, B. Pluymers, I. Goethals, T. Vu Van, J.Driesen, R. Belmans, B. De Moor, "Optimal Placement and Sizing of Distributed Generator Units Using Genetic Optimization Algorithms," Electrical Power Quality and Utilisation Journal, Vol. XI, Nr. 1, pp. 97- 104, 2005
- Samaan, N., Singh, C., " Adequacy Assessment of Power System Generation Using A Modified Simple Genetic Algorithm", IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 17, 2002, pp. 974-981. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2002.804994
- R.S. Fang and A.K. David, "Optimal dispatch under transmission contracts," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 732-737, May 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.761905
- M, Shiddehpour, H. Yamin and Z.Y. LI, "Market Operations in Electric Power System", New York: Wiley, pp. 477-478, 2002
- R. D. Zimmerman, C. E. Murillo-Sanchez, and D. Gan, MATPOWER: A Matlab Power System Simulation Package 2006.