- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Investigation on the Electrical Discharge Characteristics of a Unipolar Corona-Wire Aerosol Charger
- Intra, Panich (College of Integrated Science and Technology, Rajamangala University of Technology Lanna) ;
- Yawootti, Artit (College of Integrated Science and Technology, Rajamangala University of Technology Lanna) ;
- Vinitketkumnuen, Usanee (Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University) ;
- Tippayawong, Nakorn (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Chiang Mai University)
- Received : 2010.05.25
- Accepted : 2011.03.29
- Published : 2011.07.01
In the present study, a simple corona-wire charger for unipolar diffusion charging of aerosol particles is designed, constructed, and characterized. Experimental characterizations of the electrostatic discharge in terms of current-voltage relationships of positive and negative coronas of the corona-wire charger are also presented and discussed. The charging current and ion concentration in the charging zone increased monotonically with corona voltage. The negative corona showed higher current than the positive corona. At the same corona voltages, the current in the discharge zone is about 600 times larger than the charging current. The ion number concentrations ranged within approximately
- P. Intra and N. Tippayawong, "Progress in unipolar corona discharger designs for airborne particle charging: A literature review", Journal of Electrostatics, Vol. 67, No. 4, pp. 605-615, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elstat.2008.12.018
- P. Buscher, A. Schmidt-Ott, and A. Wiedensohler, "Performance of a unipolar "Square Wave" diffusion charger with variable nt-product", Journal of Aerosol Science, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 651-663, 1980.
- F. E. Kruis and H. Fissan, "Nanoparticle charging in a twin Hewitt charger", Journal of Nanoparticle Research, Vol. 3, pp. 39-50, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011425816983
- G. Biskos, K. Reavell and N. Collings, "Electrostatic characterization of corona-wire aerosol charges", Journal of Electrostatics, Vol. 63, pp. 69-82, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elstat.2004.07.001
- A. Medved, F. Dorman, S. L. Kaufman and A. Pocher, "A new corona-based charger for aerosol particles", Journal of Aerosol Science, Vol. 31, pp. s616-s617, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-8502(00)90625-6
- A. Marquard, M. Kasper, J. Meyer, and G. Kasper, "Nanoparticle charging efficiencies and related charging conditions in a wire-tube ESP at DC energization", Journal of Electrostatics, Vol. 63, pp. 693-698, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elstat.2005.03.032
- D. Park, M. An, and J. Hwang, "Development and performance test of a unipolar diffusion charger for real-time measurements of submicron aerosol particles having a log-normal size distribution", Journal of Aerosol Science, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 420-430, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaerosci.2007.01.003
- B. Y. H. Liu and D. Y. H. Pui, "On the performance of the electrical aerosol analyzer", Journal of Aerosol Science, Vol. 6, pp. 249-264, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-8502(75)90093-2
- G. W. Hewitt, "The charging of small particles for electrostatic precipitation", AIEE Transactions, Vol. 76, pp. 300-306, 1957.
- Y. J. Lee, H. T. Kim and K. W. Lee, "Development of monitoring technology for airborne particulate matter", Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Vol. 70, pp. 3-20, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010679128979
- CFDRC Manual, CFDRC 2004, User's Guide, 2004.
- P. Itra and N. Tippayawong, "Approach to characterization of a diode type corona charger for aerosol size measurement", KIEE International Transactions on Electrophysics & Applications, Vol. 5-C, No. 5, pp. 196-203, 2005.
- P. Intra and N. Tippayawong, "Comparative study on electrical discharge and operation characteristics of needle and wire-cylinder corona chargers", Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 1, No. 4, pp. 520-527, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2006.1.4.520
- G.P. Reischl, J.M. Makela, R. Harch, and J. Necid, Bipolar charging of ultrafine particles in the size range below 10 nm, Journal of Aerosol Science, Vol. 27, pp. 931-949, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-8502(96)00026-2
- Design and Evaluation of a High Concentration, High Penetration Unipolar Corona Ionizer for Electrostatic Discharge and Aerosol Charging vol.8, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.5.1175