- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Pre-treatment Process for Natural Dyeing of Wool to Impar t Durable Antimicrobial Efficacy
- Raja, A.S.M. (Division of Textile Manufacture and Textile Chemistry, Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Thilagavathi, G. (Department of Textile Technology, PSG College of Technology)
- Received : 2011.04.29
- Accepted : 2011.06.07
- Published : 2011.06.27
A pre-treatment process has been developed for natural dyeing of wool by which the dyed materials have been imparted antimicrobial efficacy against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria durable up to 20 washes. In this process, wool fabrics were treated with citric acid under oxidizing condition prior to dyeing. The treated fabrics were then dyed with four different types of natural dye powders obtained from leaves of silver oak, wattle, tanner's senna and flame of forest. All the natural dyes produced yellowish brown colour on wool fabrics. The washing and light fastness properties of the fabrics subjected to pre-treatment were one grade higher compared to those of the dyed fabrics without pre-treatment. The pre-treated wool fabrics showed antimicrobial efficacy against both gram-positive bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus) and gram-negative bacteria (Escherichia coli). The fabrics dyed without pre-treatment showed antimicrobial efficacy against gram-positive bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus) only. The durability of antimicrobial efficacy was higher in pre-treated and dyed wool fabrics compared to the dyed fabrics without pre-treatment.
- R. Purwar and M. Joshi, Recent Developments in Antimicrobial Finishing of Textiles-A Review, AATCC Review, 4, 22-26 (2004).
- S. Han and Y. Yang, Antimicrobial Activity of Wool Fabric Treated with Curcumin, Dyes and Pigments, 64, 157-161(2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2004.05.008
- R. Singh, A. Jain, S. Panwar, D. Gupta and S.K. Khare, Antimicrobial Activity of Some Natural Dyes, Dyes and Pigments, 66, 99-102(2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dyepig.2004.09.005
- A. S. M. Raja and G. Thilagavathi, Dyes from Leaves of Deciduous Plants with High Tannin Content for Wool, Coloration Technology, 124, 285-289(2008). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-4408.2008.00153.x
- T. H. Chuang and P. L. Wu, Cytotoxic 5-Alkylresorcinol Metabolites from the Leaves of Grevillea robusta, J. of Natural Products, 70, 319-323(2007). https://doi.org/10.1021/np0605687
- B. R. Min, W. E. Pinchak, R. Merkel, S. Walker, G. Tomita and R.C. Anderson, Comparative Antimicrobial Activity of Tannin Extracts from Perennial Plants on Mastitis Pathogens, Scientific Research and Essay, 2, 66-73(2008).
- X. Han, T. Shen and H. Lou, Dietary Phenols and their Biological Significance, International J. of Molecular Sciences, 8, 950-988 (2007). https://doi.org/10.3390/i8090950
- Y. S. Biradar, S. Jagatap, K. R. Khandelwal and S. S. Singhania, Exploring of Antimicrobial Activity of Triphala Mashian Ayurvedic Formulation, eCAM, 5, 107-113(2008).
- B. S. Nagoba, R. C. Gandhi, B. J. Wadher, R. M. Potekar and S. M. Kolhe, Microbiological, Histopathological and Clinical Changes in Chronic Infected Wounds after Citric Acid Treatment, J. of Medical Microbiology, 57, 681-682(2008). https://doi.org/10.1099/jmm.0.47647-0
- E. Skrivanova and M. Marounek, Influence of pH on Antimicrobial Activity of Organic Acids against Rabbit Enteropathogenic Strain of Escherichia coli, Folia Microbiologica, 52, 70-72(2007). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02932141
- D. M. Lewis, "Wool Dyeing", Society of Dyers and Colorists, PP.4-5, ISBN 0901956538, UK, Bradford, 1992.
- A. S. M. Raja and G. Thilagavathi, Comparative Study on the Effect of Acid and Alkaline Protease Enzyme Treatments on Wool for Improving Handle and Shrink Resistance, J. of the Textile Institute, 101, 823-834 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1080/00405000902829689
- S. H. Hsieh, S. K. Huang, Z .A. Huang and Z. S. Tseng, Antimicrobial and Physical Properties of Woolen Fabrics Cured with Citric Acid and Chitosan, J. of Applied Polymer Science, 94, 1999-2007(2004). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.21104
- R. R. Chattopadhyay, S. K. Bhattacharyya, C. Medda, S. Chanda, S. Datta and N. K. Pal, Antibacterial Activity of Black Myrobalan (Fruit of Terminalia chebula Retz.) against Uropathogen Escherichia coli, Pharmacognosy Magazine, 11, 212-215(2007).
- Antimicrobial Finish of Cotton and Silk Fabrics Dyed with Schizandra chinensis Fruit Extract vol.50, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12772/TSE.2013.50.167