- Volume 21 Issue 2
The purpose of this study was to analyze the distribution of foot pressure generated by active materials of a functional insole. Comfort is an important consideration while selectingfootwear and insoles. Consequently, it has an influence on injury. The development of new materials for functional insoles is considered one of the more important points for their manufacture. The method adopted in this study is as follows. First, ten healthy males were selected as subjects for the study. Each subject's foof was pre-screened podoscope(Alfoots, Korea) to check for the presence of any foot abnormalities, Two kinds of equipment were used for the study: a foot pressure device from Pedar-X, Germany, and a treadmill from Pulsefitness, UK. Next, each subject was asked to test four types of insoles(insoles of outdoor shoes, indoor shoes, walking shoes, and sports shoes) via walking trials on the treadmill at a constant speed of 4.2 km/h. The pressure distribution data(contact area, maximum force, maximum peak pressure, and maximum mean pressure) was collected using the pressure device at a sampling rate of 100 Hz. Results of the tests showed that all four types of functional insoles increased contact areas whit the foot. Further, functional insoles of walking shoes and sport shoes decreased the foot pressure. From these results, we conclude that the active materials of functional insoles of shoes can increase the contact area and provide greater comfort.
Four Type Shoes;Functional Insole;Foot Pressure;Contact Area;Multimask
- Burns, J., Keenan, A., & Redmond, A.(2005). Foot type and overuse injury in triathletes. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, 95(3), 235-241. https://doi.org/10.7547/0950235
- Brown, D., Wersch, J. J., Harris, G. F., Klein, J., & Janisse, D.(2004). Effect of rocker soles on plantar pressures. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehavilitation, 85(1), 81-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(03)00374-5
- Chen, W. P., Ju, C. W., & Tang, F. T.(2003). Effects of total contact insoles on the plantar stress redistribution : a finite element analysis. Clinical Biomechanics, 25, 265-270.
- Dixon, S. J., Collop, A. C., & Batt, M.(2000). Surface effects on ground reaction forces and lower extremity kinematics in running. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 32(11), 1919-1926. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200011000-00016
- Hennig, E. M., Valiant, G. A., & Liu, Q.(1996). Biomechanical variables and the perception of cushioning for running in various types of footwear. Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 12, 143-150.
- Hreljac, A., Marshall, R. N., & Hume, P. A.(2000). Evaluation of lower extremity overuse injury potential in runners. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 32(9), 1635-1641.
- Jeong, B. Y., & Hah, H. B.(2004). The change of the foot pressure according to the material and height of the shoe insole during exercises. Korea Sport Research, 15(1), 911-924.
- Jung, J. Y., Kim, J. H., Kim, K., Pham, H. T., Won, Y. G., Kwon, D. K., & Kim, J. J.(2010). Evaluation of insole-equipped ankle foot orthosis for effect on gait based on biomechanical analysis. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 20(4), 469-477. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2010.20.4.469
- Kanatli, U., & Yalcin, N.(2003). The relationship between accessory navicular and medial longitudinal arch: evaluation with plantar pressure distribution measurement system. Foot & Ankle, 24(6), 486-489.
- Kim, E. H., Cho, H. K., Jung, T. W., Kim, S. S., & Chung. J. W.(2010). The Biomechanical Evaluation of Functional Insoles. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 20(3), 345-353. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2010.20.3.345
- Ko, E. H., Choi, H. S., Kim, T. H., Roh, J. S., & Lee, K. S.(2004). Effect of the Fatigue to Insole Types During Treadmill Exercise. Physical Therapy Korea, 11(2), 17-25.
- Lee, Y. K., & Kim, Y. H.(2009). Influence of Midsole Hardness on Vertical Ground Reaction Force and Heel Strike Angle during Men's and Women's Running. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 19(2), 379-386. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2009.19.2.379
- Lee, C. M., Lee, K. D., Oh, Y. J., & Kim, J. H.(2007). The study on the workload decrease effect of multi-hardness insole. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 26(2), 157-165. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2007.26.2.157
- Lee, C. M., & Oh, Y. J.(2005). The Development of the Insole for Gait Load Decreasing by Biomechanics Analysis. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 24(4), 23-30. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2005.24.4.023
- Mohsen, R., & Mark, E.(2002). Foot type classification: a critical review of current methods. Gait & Posture, 15, 282-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(01)00151-5
- Nigg, B. M.(1986). Biomechanics of Running Shoes. Champaign, IL, Human Kinetics Publishers.
- Nigg, B. M., Hintzen, S., & Ferber, R.(2006). Efeect of an unstable shoe construction on lower extremity gait characteristics. Clinical Biomechanics, 21(1), 82-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2005.08.013
- Nigg, B., Stefanyshyn, D., Cole, G., & Boyer, K.(2005). Footwear Research-Past, Present and Future. Proceedings of the 7th symposium on Footwear Biomechanics. Cleverland, Oh, USA.
- Park, C. C.(2004). Impact and Rebounding Properties of Shoe Midsole with Temperature. Elastomer, 39(4), 274-280.
- Park, C. C.(2006). The Effects of Hardness and Thickness of Midsole on the Bending Properties of Footwear. Elastomer, 41(2), 125-130.
- Park, J. Y.(2010). The Analysis of Muscle Activities on the Lower Limb dur ing Wearing Functional Insole. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 20(3), 327-336. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2010.20.3.327
- Stefanyshyn, D. J., & Nigg, B. M.(2000). Energy aspects associated with sport shoes. Sportverletz Sportschaden, 14(3), 82-89. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2000-7867
- Ramanathan, A. K., Kiran, P., Arnold, G. P., Wang, W., & Abboud, R. J.(2010). Repeatability of the Pedar-X in-shoe pressure measuring system. Foot & Ankle Surgery, 16, 70-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fas.2009.05.006
- Ruy, T., Choi, H. S., Choi, H., & Chung, M. K.(2006). A comparison of gair characterstics between Korean and Westem people for establishing Korean gait reference data. Industrial Ergonomics, 36, 1023-1030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ergon.2006.09.013
- Stewart, A., Casey, M., Laura, F., Patricia, M., Edward, P., James, A., & Joseph, H.(2009). The Impact of Footwear and Packweight on Injury and Illness Among Long-Distance Hikers. Wilderness and Environmental Medicine, 20, 250-256. https://doi.org/10.1580/08-WEME-OR-196R2.1
- Stewart, L., Gibson, J. N. A., & Thomson, C. E.(2007). In-shoe pressure distribution in "unstable" (MBT) shoes and flat-bottomed training shoes: A comparative study. Gait & Posture, 25, 648-651. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2006.06.012
- Williams, D., McClay, I., & Hamill, J.(2001). Arch structure and injury patterns in runners. Clinical Biomechanics, 16(4), 341-347. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(01)00005-5
- Windle, C. M., Gregory, S. M., & Dixon, S. J.(1999). The shock attenuation characteristics of four different insoles when worn in a military boot during running and marching. Gait & Posture, 9(1), 31-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(99)00002-8
- 1. Biomechanical Evaluation of Trekking Shoes using 3D Bootie Method as Mimics Barefoot Form vol.16, pp.7, 2015, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- 2. Analysis of Plantar Pressure Differences between Flat Insole Trekking Shoes and Nestfit Trekking Shoes vol.25, pp.4, 2015, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- 3. Systematic Development and Effect Estimation of the Functional Insoles for Seniors vol.38, pp.4, 2015, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- 4. Effects of Forefoot Rocker Shoes with Metatarsal Bar on Lower Extremity Muscle Activity and Plantar Pressure Distribution vol.22, pp.1, 2012, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- 5. Characteristic Comparison of Ground Reaction Force of the Taekwondo's Apkubi Motion and the Walking on Older Persons vol.21, pp.3, 2011, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- 6. Biomechanical Analysis of Muscle Fatigue and Ground Reaction Force for the Development of Outdoor Walking Shoes vol.26, pp.4, 2016, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- 7. Analyses of Plantar Foot Pressure and Static Balance According to the Type of Insole in the Elderly vol.26, pp.1, 2016, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- 8. Evaluation for Biomechanical Effects of Metatarsal Pad and Insole on Gait vol.21, pp.4, 2011, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- 9. Comparative Analysis of Plantar Pressure and Comfort Level in Developed-Domestic and Import Comfort Shoes for Elderly vol.30, pp.4, 2013, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- 10. 3D printed midsole design according to the sole types of elementary school students vol.24, pp.3, 2016, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231
- 11. A Study on Changes in Biomechanical Characteristics of the Foot with Respect to Wedge-type Insole Thickness vol.34, pp.2, 2013, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.2.231