- Volume 25 Issue 3
This paper estimates the residual longitudinal strength of a damaged double hull VLCC (Very Large Crude Carrier) under combined vertical and horizontal bending moments using Smith's method. The damage estimated in this study occurred due to collision or grounding accidents. The effects of the randomness of the yield stress, plate thickness, extent of damage, and the combination of these three parameters on the ultimate hull girder strength were investigated. Random variables were generated by a Monte Carlo simulation and applied to the double hull VLCC described by the ISSC (International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress) 2000 report.
Damaged ship;Double Hull VLCC;Residual longitudinal strength;Combined bending moment;Monte Carlo simulation
- American Bureau of Shipping ABS (1995a). Guide for Assessing Hull-Girder Residual Strength for Tankers, July.
- American Bureau of Shipping ABS (1995b). Guide for Assessing Hull-Girder Residual Strength for Bulk Carriers, November.
- Cheon, S.G. (2010). Ultimate Strength Assessment for Foundation of Bow Chain stopper, Master Thesis, School of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, University of Ulsan.
- Cho, S.R. (2001). Manual of ULSAN Program, School of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, University of Ulsan.
- Cho, S.R. and Lee, S.H. (2005). Residual Longitudinal Strength Analysis of Damaged Ships, Proceedings of the Annual Autumn Meeting, SNAK, Yongin, 3-4 November, pp 405-412.
- Das, P.K. and Chuang, F. (2007). "Residual Strength and Survivability of Bulk Carriers after Grounding and Collision", Journal of Ship Research, Vol 51, No 2, pp 137-149.
- Det Norske Veritas DNV (2008). Hull Structural Design Ships with Length 100 Meters and Above, Part 3 Chapter 1, January.
- Fang, C. and Das, P. (2005). Survivability and Reliability of Damaged Ships after Collision and Grounding, Ocean Engineering 32, pp 293-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2004.08.006
- Gordo, J.M. and Guedes Soares, C. (2000). "Residual Strength of Damaged Ship Hulls", Proceedings of 9th IMAM, Napoli, Italy, pp 79-86.
- Hussein, A.W. and Guedes Soares, C. (2009). "Reliability and Residual Strength of Double Hull Tankers Designed according to the New IACS Common Structural Rules", Ocean Engineering, doi: 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2009.04.006.
- International Maritime Organization IMO, Annex I of MARPOL 73/78, November 2000.
- ISSC (2000). "Report of Special Task Committee VI.2 (Ultimate Hull Girder Strength)", Proceedings of 14th ISSC, Nagasaki, Japan, Vol 2, pp 91-321.
- Khan, I.A. and Das, P.K. (2008). "Reliability analysis of intact and Damaged Ships considering Combined Vertical and Horizontal Bending Moments", Ships and Offshore Structures, Vol 3, No 4, pp 371-384. https://doi.org/10.1080/17445300802369950
- Lee, J.S. and Yang, P.D.C. (1992). "Reliability Assessment against Ultimate Bending Moment of Ships' Hull Girder", Transaction of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Vol 29, No 1, March.
- Luis, R.M., Hussein, A.W. and Guedes Soares, C. (2007). "On the Effect of Damage to the Ultimate Longitudinal Strength of Double Hull Tankers", Proceeding of 10th Int. Sym. On Practical Design of Ships and Other Floating Structures PRADS, Houston, Texas, USA.
- Nowak, A.S. and Collins, K.R. (2000). Reliability of Structures, McGraw-Hill Publisher.
- Paik, J.K., Thayamballi, A.K. and Yang, S.H. (1998). "Residual Strength Assessment of Ships after Collision and Grounding", Marine Technology, Vol 35, No 1, pp 38-54.
- Qi, E., Cui, W., Wan, Z. and Qiu, Q. (2004). "Study of Residual Strength Index of Damaged Ship Hulls", Journal of Ship Mechanics, Vol 8, No 3, pp 76-84.
- Smith, C.S. (1977). "Influence of Local Compressive Failure on Ultimate Longitudinal Strength of Ship's Hull", Proceeding of the International Symposiumon Practical Design in Shipbuilding, Tokyo, pp 73-79.
- Vhanmane, S. and Bhattacharya, B. (2009). "Ultimate Strength Analysis of Ship Hull Girder Under Random Material and Geometric Properties", Proceeding of the ASME 28th International Conferenceon Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering OMAE, May 31-June 5, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Wang, G., Chen, Y., Zhang, H. and Shin, Y. (2000). "Residual Strength of Damaged Ship Hull", Ship Structures for the New Millennium: Supporting Quality in Shipbuilding, 13, 14 June, Arlington, VA.
- Wang, G., Chen, Y., Zhang, H. and Peng, H. (2002). "Longitudinal Strength of Ships with Accidental Damages", Marine Structures 15, pp 119-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0951-8339(01)00018-1