- Volume 25 Issue 3
The rogue wave was generated in a two-dimensional wave tank the rogue wave kinematics was investigated including local and convective accelerations of the water particle and verification of existing prediction methods. PIV technique was applied to measure the wave kinematics near the wave crest which extended to compute the local and convective accelerations. The experimental results were compared with several analytical predictions. The convective acceleration under the crest of rogue wave has a similar magnitude with the local acceleration.
Rogue wave;Velocity;Local and convective accelerations;Wave crest;Wave theory
- Airy, G.B. (1845). "Tides and waves," Encyclopedia Metropolitana, London, 5, pp 241-396.
- Bonmarin, P. and Kjeldsen, P. (2001). "Some Geometric and Kinematic Properties of Breaking Waves," In: Olagnon, M., and Athanassoulis, G. (Eds.) Rogue Waves 2000. Ifremer, Brest, pp 169-180.
- Choi H.J., Jung K.H., Suh S., Jo H.J. and Choi H.S. (2010). "Experimental Study on Nonlinearity Characteristics Near the Free Surface in the Regular Wave Condition" Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol 24, No 1, pp 1-9
- Clamond, D. and Grue, J. (2002). "Interaction between Envelop Solitons as a Model for Freak Wave Formulations-part 1: Long Time Interaction," Comptes Rendus. Mecanique, 330, pp 575-580. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1631-0721(02)01496-1
- Clauss, G.F. (2002). "Dramas of the Sea: Episodic Waves and Their Impacts on Offshore Structures," Applied Ocean Research, 24, 147-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1187(02)00026-3
- Cokelet, E.D. (1977). "Steep Gravity Waves in Water of Arbitrary Uniform Depth," Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences, 286 (1335), pp 183-230. https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.1977.0113
- Dean, RG (1990). "Freak Wave: A Possible Explanation," In: Torum, A., and Gudmestad, O.T. (Eds.) Water Wave Kinematics, NATO ASI Series, Kluwer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp 609-612.
- Draper, D. (1965). "Freak Ocean Waves," Marine Observer, 35, pp 193-195.
- Dysthe, K.B. and Trulsen, K. (1999). "Note on Breather Type Solutions of the NSL as a Model for Freak-Waves," Physica Scripta, T82, pp 48-52. https://doi.org/10.1238/Physica.Topical.082a00048
- Faulkner, D. (2001). "Rogue Waves - Defining Their Dharacteristics for Marine Design," Rogue Waves 2000, Ifremer, Brest, pp 3-18.
- Funke, E.R. and Mansard, E.P.D. (1982). "The Control of Wave Asymmetries in Random Waves," Proc 18th International Conference on Coastal Engineering, Cape Town, South Africa, pp 725-744.
- Grue, J. (2002). "On Four Highly Nonlinear Phenomena in Wave Theory and Marine Hydrodynamics," Applied Ocean Research, 24, pp 261-274. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1187(03)00006-3
- Haver, S. (2001). "Evidences of the Existence of Freak Waves," Rogue Waves 2000. Ifremer, Brest, pp 129-140.
- Henderson, K.L., Peregrine, D.H. and Dold, J.W. (1999). "Unsteady Water Wave Modulations: Fully Nonlinear Solutions and Comparison with the Nonlinear Schrodinger Equation," Wave Motion, 29, pp 341-361. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2125(98)00045-6
- Kharif, C., Pelinovsky, E., Talipova, T. and Slunyaev, A. (2001). "Focusing of Nonlinear wave Groups in Deep Water," JETP Letters, 73 (4), pp 170-175. https://doi.org/10.1134/1.1368708
- Kim, N.S. and Kim, C.H. (2003). "Simulation of Draupner Freak Wave Impact Force on a Vertical Truncated Cylinder," Int J of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 13 (4), pp 260-265.
- Kim, C.H., Xu, Y. and Zou, J. (1997). "Impact and Nonimpact on Vertical Truncated Cylinder due to Strong and Weak Asymmetric Wave," Int J of Offshore and Polar Engineering, 7 (3), pp 161-167.
- Kjeldsen, P. (2001). "A Sudden Disaster-in Extreme Waves," Rogue Waves 2000. Ifremer, Brest, pp 19-35.
- Jansen, P.A.E.M. (2003). "Nonlinear Four-Wave Interactions and Freak Waves," J of Physical Oceanography, 33, pp 863-884. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0485(2003)33<863:NFIAFW>2.0.CO;2
- Lavrenov, I.V. (1998). "The Wave Energy Concentration at the Agulhas current off South Africa," J of Natural Hazards, 17, pp 117-127. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007978326982
- Lemire, J. "Freak Wave Rocks Cruise," http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/300826p-257523c.html, Accessed April. (2005).
- Mastroianni, M. "Giant Wave Hits Semester at Sea Ship," http://www.pittnews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/01/28/41f9e1e0b91d4, Accessed March. (2005).
- Met Office (1996). "Hurricane 'Luis', the Queen Elizabeth 2, and a Rogue Wave," Marine Observer, 66 (333), pp 134-137.
- Mori, N. and Yasuda, T. (2001). "Effects of High-Order Nonlinear Wave-Wave Interactions on Gravity Waves," Rogue Waves 2000. Ifremer, Brest, pp 229-244.
- Myrhaug, D. and Kjeldsen, S.P. (1986). "Steepness and Asymmetry of Extreme Waves and the Highest Waves in Deep Water," Ocean Engineering, 13 (6), pp 549-568. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-8018(86)90039-9
- Olagnon, M. and Van Iseghem, S. (2001). "Some Cases of Observed Rogue Waves and an Attempt to Characterize Their Occurrence Conditions," Rogue Waves 2000. Ifremer, Brest, pp 105-116.
- Onorato, M., Osborne, A.R. and Serio, M. (2002). "Extreme Wave Events in Directional, Random Oceanic Sea State," J of Physics of Fluids, 14 (4), L25-L28. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1453466
- Osborne, A.R., Onorato, M. and Serio, M. (2000). "The Nonlinear Dynamics of Rogue Waves and Holes in Deep-Water Gravity Wave Trains," J of Physics Letters A, 274, pp 386-393.
- Peregrine, D.H. (1976). "Interaction of Water Waves and Currents," Advances in Applied Mechanics, 16, pp 9-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2156(08)70087-5
- Rosenthal, W. and Lehner, S (2004). "Results from the MAXWAVE project," Proc the 23th OMAE conference, Vancouver, Canada.
- Smith, R. (1976). "Giant Waves," J of Fluid Mechanics, 77, pp 417-431. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002211207600219X
- Smith, S.F. and Swan, S. (2002). "Extreme Two-Dimensional Water Waves: An Assessment of Potential Design Solutions," Ocean Engineering, 29 (4), pp 387-416. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-8018(01)00028-2
- Trulsen, K. and Dysthe, K.B. (1997). "Freak Waves-A Three Dimensional Wave Simulation," Proc of the 21th Symposium on Naval Hydro-dynamics, The National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C., pp 550-560.
- Tulin, M.P. and Waseda, T. (1999). "Laboratory Observations of Wave Group Evolution, Including Breaking Effects," J of Fluid Mechanics, 378, pp 197-232. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112098003255
- Westerweel, J. (1993). Digital Particle Image Velocimetry-Theory and Application, Ph.D Dissertation, Delft University, The Netherlands.
- Wheeler, J.D. (1970). "Method for Calculating Forces Produced by Irregular Waves," J of Petroleum Technology, 249, pp 359-367.
- Wu, C.H. and Nepf, H. (2002). "Breaking Criteria and Energy Losses for Three-Dimensional Wave Bbreaking," Geophysical Research, 107 (c10), (41) pp 1-18.
- Wu, C.H. and Yao, A. (2004). "Laboratory Measurements of Limiting Freak Waves on Currents," Geophysical Research, 109(c12002), pp 1-18.
- Zou, J. and Kim, C.H. (2000). "Generation of Strongly Asymmetric Wave in Random Seaway," Proc of the 10th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Seattle, pp 95-100.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)