- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Mother-Child Emotional Availability Mediating the Effects of Maternal Psychological Well-being and Child's Cognitive Competence on Child Behavior Problems
- Received : 2011.09.30
- Accepted : 2011.11.20
- Published : 2011.12.30
Recent intervention studies document that mother-child dyads with higher levels of Emotional Availability (EA) report fewer child behavior problems than dyads with lower EA. This study examines possible mechanisms that lead to this result by looking at the parent-child micro-system as a whole, with multi-dimensional relationships that include individual differences in the child's cognitive level, parental stress and parent-child interaction. A total 67 children (
Emotional availability;cognitive competence;behavior problems;maternal psychological well-being
- Abidin, R. R. (1995). The Parenting Stress Index (PSI, 3rd Ed.). Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources.
- Achenbach, T. M., & Rescorla, L. A. (2000). Manual for ASEBA preschool forms & profiles. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Research Center for Children, Youth, & Families.
- Ainsworth, M. D. S., Blehar, M.C., Waters, E., & Wall, S. (1978). Patterns of attachment: A psychological study of the Strange Situation. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Alpern, L., & Lyons-Ruth, K. (1993). Preschool children at social risk: Chronicity and timing of maternal depressive symptoms and behavior problems at school and at home. Developmental Psychopathology, 5, 371-387. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400004478
- Arbuckle, J. L. (2007). AMOS 16.0 user's guide. Chicago, IL: SPSS Inc.
- Arbuckle, J. L. & Wothke, W. (1999). AMOS 4.0 user's guide. Chicago: SPSS.
- Bandura, A. (1989). Social cognitive theory. In R. Vasta (Ed.), Annals of Child Development, Vol. 6, (pp. 1-60). Greenwich, CT: JAI Press.
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderatormediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51(6), 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1993
- Bentler, P. M. (1990). Comparative fit indexes in structural models. Psychological Bulletin, 107, 238-246. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.2.238
- Bentler, P. M., & Bonett, D. G. (1980). Significance tests and goodness-of-fit in the analysis of covariance structures. Psychological Bulletin, 88, 588-606. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.88.3.588
- Biringen, Z., Robinson, J., & Emde, R.N. (1998). The Emotional Availability Scales (3rd Ed.). Unpublished manual. Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA.
- Biringen, Z., Robinson, J., & Emde, R. N. (2000). Appendix B: The Emotional Availability scales (3rd Ed.; An abridged infancy/early childhood version). Attachment & Human Development, 2, 256-270. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616730050085626
- Bretherton, I. (2000). Emotional availability: an attachment perspective. Attachment and Human Development, 2(2), 233-241. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616730050085581
- Bronfenbrenner, U. (1979). The ecology of human development: Experiments by nature and design. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Browne, M. W., & Cudeck, R. (1993). Alternative ways of assessing model fit. In K. A. Bollen & J.S. Long (Eds.), Testing structural equation models (pp. 136-162). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Crowell, J.A. & Feldman, S. (1988). Mothers' internal models of relationships and children's behavioral and developmental status: A study of mother-child interaction. Child Development, 59, 1273-1285. https://doi.org/10.2307/1130490
- Dombrowski, S. C., Timmer, S. G., Blacker, D. M., & Urquiza, A. J. (2005). A positive behavioural intervention for toddlers: Parent-child attunement therapy. Child Abuse Review, 14(2), 132-151. https://doi.org/10.1002/car.888
- Downey, G., & Coyne, J.C. (1990). Children of depressed parents: An integrative review. Psychological Bulletin, 108(1), 50-76. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.108.1.50
- Easterbrooks, M.A., Biesecker, G., & Lyons-Ruth, K. (2000). Infancy predictors of emotional availability in middle childhood: the roles of attachment security and maternal depressive symptomatology. Attachment and Human Development, 2, 170-187. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616730050085545
- Eckerman, C. O., & Oehler, J. M. (1992). Very lowbirth weight newborns and parents as early social partners. In S. L. Friedman & M. D. Sigman (Vol. Eds.), Annual advances in applied developmental psychology: Vol. 6. The psychological development of lowbirthweight children (pp. 91-124). Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Emde, R. N. (2000). Next steps in emotional availability research. Attachment and Human Development, 2(2), 242-248. https://doi.org/10.1080/14616730050085590
- Ginsburg, G. S., Grover, R. L., & Ialongo, N. (2004). Parenting behaviors among anxious and non-anxious mothers: Relation with concurrent and longterm outcomes. Child & Family Behavior Therapy, 26(4), 23-41.
- Harnish, J. D., Dodge, K. A., & Valente, E. (1995). Mother-child interaction quality as a partial mediator of the roles of maternal depressive symptomatology and socioeconomic status in the development of child behavior problems. Child Development, 66(3), 739-753.
- Jackson, A. P. (2000). Maternal self-efficacy and children's influence on stress and parenting among single black mothers in poverty. Journal of Family Issues, 21(1), 3-16.
- Leadbeater, B. J., Bishop, S. J., & Raver, C. C. (1996). Quality of mother-toddler interactions, maternal depressive symptoms, and behavior problems in preschoolers of adolescent mothers. Developmental Psychopathology, 32, 280-288.
- Mahler, M. S., Pine, F., & Bergman, A. (1975). The psychological birth of the human infant: Symbiosis and individuation. New York: Basic Books.
- Mills, R. S. L., & Rubin, K. H. (1993). Socialization factors in the development of social withdrawal. In K. H. Rubin, & J. B. Asendorpf (Eds.). Social withdrawal, inhibition and shyness in childhood (pp. 117-150). Erlbaum: Hillsdale, NJ.
- Moreno, A. J., Klute, M. M., & Robinson, J. L. (2007). Relational and individual resources as predictors of empathy in early childhood. Social Development, 17(3), 613-637.
- Radloff, J. S. (1977). The CES-D Scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population. Applied Psychological Measurement, 1, 385-401. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- Schumacker, R. E., & Lomax, R. G. (2004). A beginner's guide to structural equation modeling (2nd Ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Shrout, P. E. & Fleiss, J. L. (1979). Intraclass correlations: Uses in assessing rater reliability. Psychological Bulletin, 86(2), 420-428. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.86.2.420
- Squires, J. Potter, L., & Bricker, D. (1999). The ASQ User's Guide for the Ages & Stages Questionnaires: A parent-completed, child-monitoring system (2nd ed.). Baltimore: Paul. H. Brookes Publishing.
- van Doesum, K. T. M., Riksen-Walraven, J. M., Hosman, C. M. H., & Hoefnagels, C. (2008). A randomized controlled trial of a home-visiting intervention aimed at preventing relationship problems in depressed mothers and their infants. Child Development, 79(3), 547-561. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2008.01142.x
- Vygotsky, L.S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher mental processes. M. Cole, V. John-Stenier, S. Scribner & E. Souberman (Eds.). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press