- Volume 35 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Low-Cycle Fatigue Life Prediction in GTD-111 Superalloy at Elevated Temperatures
초내열합금 GTD-111의 고온 저주기피로 수명예측
- Yang, Ho-Young (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Jae-Hoon (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Chungnam Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Yoo, Keun-Bong (Korea Electric Power Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Han-Sang (Korea Electric Power Research Institute) ;
- You, Young-Soo (Korea Institute of Materials Science)
- Received : 2010.12.14
- Accepted : 2011.04.22
- Published : 2011.07.01
The Ni-base super-heat-resistant alloy, GTD-111, is employed in gas turbines because of its high temperature strength and oxidation resistance. It is important to predict the fatigue life of this superalloy in order to improve the efficiency of gas turbines. In this study, low-cycle fatigue tests are performed as variables of total strain range and temperature. The relationship between the strain energy density and number of cycles to failure is examined in order to predict the low-cycle fatigue life of the GTD-111 superalloy. The fatigue life predicted by using the strain-energy methods is found to coincide with that obtained from the experimental data and from the Coffin-Manson method.
GTD-111;Low Cycle Fatigue;Superalloy;Life Prediction;Strain Energy Method
Supported by : 전력연구원
- Tomkins, B., 1981, Creep and Fatigue in High Temperature Alloys, J. Bresers (Ed.), Applied Science Pub.,
- Runkle, J.C. and Pellous, R. M., 1978, Fatigue Mechanisms, ASTM STP 675.
- Polak, J., 1991, Cyclic Plasticity and Low Cycle Fatigue Life of Metals, Elsevier.
- Bannantine, J.A., Comer, J.J. and Handrock, J.L., 1990, Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis, Prentice Hall.
- Feltner. C.E. and Morrow. J. D., 1961, "Micro Plastic Strain Hysteresis Energy as a criterion for Fatigue Fracture," Journal of Basic Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 15-22.
- Ellyin, F. and Kujawski, D., 1984, "Plastic strain Energy in Fatigue Failure," Transactions of ASME, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 106, No. 4, pp. 342-347. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3264362
- Lefebvre, D. and Ellyin, F,. 1984, "Cyclic Response and Inelastic Strain Energy in Low Cycle Fatigue," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 9-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-1123(84)90003-3
- Ellyin, F., 1985, "Effect of Tensile Mean Strain on Plastic Strain Energy and Cyclic Response," Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, Vol. 107, pp. 119-125 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3225786
- Halford, G.R. 1966, "The Energy Required for Fatigue," Jorunal of Materials, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 3-18
- Morrow, J. D., 1965, "Cyclic Plasticity Strain Energy and Fatigue of Metals," Internal Friction, Damping and Cyclic Plasticity, ASTM STP 378, pp. 45-87.
- Ellyin, F. and Kujawski, 1986, "The Energy-Based Fatigue Failure Criterion," Microstructure and Mechanical Behaviour of Materials, Vol. 2, pp. 541-600.
- Golos, K. and Ellyin, F., 1988, "A Total Strain Energy Density Theory for Cumulative Fatigue Damage," Transactions of ASME, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 110, pp. 36-41. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3265565
- Hwang, K. T., Kim, J.H,, Yoo, K.B., Lee, H.S., Yoo, Y.S., 2010, "Low-Cycle Fatigue in Ni-Base Superalloy IN738LC at Elevated Temperature," 2010 spring Annual meeting of KSME, pp. 77-83.
- Thermo mechanical fatigue life prediction of Ni-based superalloy IN738LC vol.18, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-017-0067-7