- Volume 35 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Study on the Failure Mechanism of a Chip Resistor Solder Joint During Thermal Cycling for Prognostics and Health Monitoring
고장예지를 위한 온도사이클시험에서 칩저항 실장솔더의 고장메커니즘 연구
- Han, Chang-Woon (Reliability Physics Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Park, Noh-Chang (Reliability Physics Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute) ;
- Hong, Won-Sik (Reliability Physics Research Center, Korea Electronics Technology Institute)
- Received : 2011.02.10
- Accepted : 2011.04.20
- Published : 2011.07.01
A thermal cycling test was conducted on a chip resistor solder joint with real-time failure monitoring. In order to study the failure mechanism of the chip resistor solder joint during the test, the resistance between both ends of the resistor was monitored until the occurrence of failure. It was observed that the monitored resistance first fluctuated linearly according to the temperature change. The initial variation in the resistance occurred at the time during the cycle when there was a decrease in temperature. A more significant change in the resistance followed after a certain number of cycles, during the time when there was an increase in the temperature. In order to explain the failure patterns of the solder joint, a mechanism for the solder failure was suggested, and its validity was proved through FE simulations. Based on the explained failure mechanism, it was shown that prognostics for the solder failure can be implemented by monitoring the resistance change in a thermal cycle condition.
Failure Mechanism;Prognostics;Solder;Chip Resistor;Thermal Cycling Test
- Pecht, M., 2008, Prognostics and Health Management of Electroncis, John Wiley & Sons Inc, Hoboken, New Jersey.
- Zhang, S., Kang, R., Niu, G. and Pecht, M., 2010, "Status of Research and Development on Prognostics and Heath Management in China," PHM Conference 2010.
- Bailey, H. L. C., 2000, "Modeling the Fatigue Life of Solder Joints for Surface Mount Resistors," International Symposium on Elastic Materials and Packaging 2000.
- Han, C.-W. and Song, B., 2006, "Development of Life Prediction Model for Lead-Free Solder at Chip Resistor," 8th EPTC, 2006, pp.781-786.
- IPC Technical Committees, 2004, IPC-SM-785, "Guidelines for Accelerated Reliability Testing of Surface Mount Solder Attachments," pp.737-746,
- IPCTechnical Committees, 2002, IPC-9701, "Performance Test Methods and Qualification Requirements for Surface Mount Solder Attachments," p.13.
- Salemi, S., Yang, L., Dai, J., Qin, J. and Bernstein, J. B., 2008, Physics-of-Failure Based Handbook of Microelectronics Systems, Reliability Information Analysis Center, Utica, NY, p.189.
- Shear Strength Degradation of Pb-Free Solder Joint with Mounted Location in Automobile vol.56, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2320/matertrans.MI201420