- Volume 35 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Maximization of the Output Voltage of a Cantilevered Energy Harvester Comprising Piezoelectric Fiber Composites
압전섬유복합재 외팔보 에너지 회수장치의 출력전압 최대화
- Kim, Seon-Myeong (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Kyungpook Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Cheol (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Kyungpook Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2011.03.15
- Accepted : 2011.04.07
- Published : 2011.07.01
In this study, a cantilevered energy harvester comprising piezoelectric fiber and epoxy composites was designed and analyzed electro-mechanically. In order to maximize the power of the cantilevered energy harvester, its exciting frequency was tuned to the first natural frequency of the beam. An efficient analysis method for predicting the output voltage of the beam was developed by using the finite element method coupled with piezoelectric behavior. By using this method, the effects of geometric parameters and various piezoelectric materials on power generation were investigated and the electric characteristics were evaluated. Design optimization of the beam geometries was performed for a base model. The optimum MFC design generated a maximum electric output of 40.1 V at a first natural frequency of 24.5 Hz.
Energy Harvester;Piezoelectric Fiber;Voltage;Cantilevered Beam
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Roundy, S., Wright, P. and Rabaey, J., 2003, "A Study of Low Level Vibrations as a Power Source for Wireless Sensor Nodes," Comput. Commun., Vol. 26, No. 11, pp. 1131-1144. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-3664(02)00248-7
- Mitchson, P. D., Yeatman, E. M., Rao, G. K., Holmes, A. S. and Green, T. C., 2008, "Energy Harvesting from Human and Machine Motion for Wireless Electronic Devices," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 96, No. 9, pp. 1457-1468. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2008.927494
- Priya, S., 2007, "Advances in Energy Harvesting Using Low Profile Piezoelectric Transducers," J. Electroceram., Vol. 19, pp. 165-182.
- Glynne-Jones, P. and white, N. M., 2001, "Self-Powered Systes: A Review of Energy Sources," Sensor Review, Vol. 21, pp. 91-97. https://doi.org/10.1108/02602280110388252
- Paradiso, J. A. and Starner, T. 2005, "Energy Scavenging for Mobile and Wireless Electronics," Pervasive Computing, IEEE CS and IEEE ComSoc, Vol 4, No. 1, pp. 18-27. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPRV.2005.9
- Beeby, S. P. Tudor, M. J. and White, N. M., 2006, "Energy Harvesting Vibration Sources for Microsystems Applications," Meas. Sci. Tech., Vol. 17, p. 175. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/17/12/R01
- Yang, Y., Tang, L. and Li, H., 2009, "Vibration Energy Harvesting Using Macro-Fiber Composites," Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 18, No. 11, p. 115025. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/18/11/115025
- ANSYS, ANSYS Release 11.0 documentation.
- Williams, B. R., Grimsley, B. W., Inman, D. J. and Wilkie, W. K., 2002, "An Overview of Composite Actuators with Piezoceramic Fibers," Proc. 20th Int'l Modal Analysis Conference, L.A., USA.
- Deraemaeker, A., Nasser, H., Benjeddou, A. and Preumont, A., 2009, "Mixing Rules for the Piezoelectric Properties of Macro Fiber Composites, J. Intel. Mat. Sys. Str., Vol. 20, No. 12, pp. 1475-1482. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X09335615