- Volume 46 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Concentration Effects on Improved Mechanical Properties of Chopped Kenaf Fiber Filled Polypropylene Composite
케냐프섬유로 강화된 PP복합재료내의 섬유의 함량이 기계적특성 향상에 미치는 효과
- Oh, Jeong-Seok (Hyundai-Kia Motors Co., Materials Development Center) ;
- Lee, Seong-Hoon (Hyundai-Kia Motors Co., Materials Development Center) ;
- Kim, Kwang-Jea (Institute of Polymer Engineering, The Univ. of Akron)
- Received : 2010.06.14
- Accepted : 2011.05.13
- Published : 2011.06.30
The effects of chopped kenaf fiber concentration on mechanical property of polypropylene (PP) composite are investigated. The addition of kenaf increased the tensile strength, flexural modulus, impact strength, specific gravity, and HDT, while decreased the elongation%, flexural strength, and melt flow index. The increase of mechanical properties is due to increased surface area contacting between fiber and polymer matrix and fiber-fiber interaction. Volatile extractives in the kenaf seemed to decrease the interfacial adhesion between kenaf surface and PP.
- J. L. White and K. J. Kim, "Thermoplastic and Rubber Compounds: Technology and Physical Chemistry", Hanser Publisher, Munich, Cincinnati (2008).
- F. Houllier, N. Boquillon, P. Dole, B. Monties, and L. Averous, "Novel Biodegradable Composites Based on Lignocellulosic Fibres", Cite mondiale-Bordeaux, France, March (2003).
- R. G. Stanly, "Biosynthesis of Cellulose Outside of Living Tree", Forest Prod. J., 16, 62 (1966).
- J. W. Rowe and A. H. Conner, "Extractives in Eastern Hardwoods-A Review, General Technical report FPL18", Forest products laboratory, Forest service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Madison, WI (1979).
- A. K. Bledzki, O. Faruk, and V. E. Sperber, "Cars From Bio-Fibres", Macromol. Mater. Eng., 291, 449 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1002/mame.200600113
- H. B. Buttlar, "Natural Fibre Reinforced Construction Materials for SMCApplications", RIKO-2005,November 10, Hannover, Germany (2005).
- M. Zampaloni, F. Pourboghrat, S. A. Yankovich, B. N. Rodgers, J. Moore, L. T. Drzal, A. K. Mohanty, and M. Misra, Compos. Part A: Appl. Sci. Manufac., 38, 1569 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2007.01.001
- G. Natta, "Isotactic Polymers", Makromol. Chem., 16, 213 (1955). https://doi.org/10.1002/macp.1955.020160124
- G. Natta, P. Corradini, and P. Ganis, "Prediction of the Conformation of the Chain in the Crystalline State of Tactic Polymers", J. Polym. Sci., 53, 1191 (1962).
- A. R. Sanadi, D. F. Caulfield, R. E. Jacobson, and R. M. Rowell, "Renewable Agricultural Fibers as Reinforc- ing Fillers in Plastics: Mechanical Properties of Kenaf Fiber- Polypropylene Composites", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 34, 1889 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie00044a041
- P. Wambua, J. Ivens, and I. Verpoest, "Natural Fibres: Can They Replace Glass in Fibre Reinforced Plastics?", Compos. Sci. and Tech., 63, 1259 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(03)00096-4
K. J. Kim and J. L. White, "Relationship Between Interfacial Adhesion and Dynamic Viscosity of Cellulose Fiber Filled Polypropylene and
$\varepsilon$-Caprolactone: A Review", Compos. Interf., 16, 539 (2009).
K. J. Kim, S. Bumm, and J. L. White, "Effects of Regenerated Cellulose and Natural Fiber on Interfacial Adhesion, Rheology, and Crystallization in
$\varepsilon$-Polycaprolactone Compounds", Compos. Interf., 16, 619 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1163/092764409X12477406858223
- W. P. Chang, K. J. Kim, and R. K. Gupta, "Ultrasound- Assisted Surface-Modification of Wood Particulates for Improved Wood/Plastic Composites", Compos. Interf., 16, 687 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1163/092764409X12477425232217
- W. P. Chang, K. J. Kim, and R. K. Gupta, "Moisture Absorption Behavior of Wood/Plastic Composites made With Alkali-Treated Wood Particulates", Compos. Interf., 16, 937 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1163/092764409X12477481859067
- K. J. Kim, S. Bumm, and J. L. White, "Interfacial Adhesion of Pine Wood Filled PP Compounds via Effects of Volatile Extractives", Compos. Interf., 15, 231 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1163/156855408783810830
- K. J. Kim, S. Bumm, R. K. Gupta, and J. L. White, "Interfacial Adhesion of Cellulose Fiber and Natural Fiber Filled Polypropylene Compounds and Their Effects on Rheological and Mechanical Properties", Compos. Interf., 15, 301 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1163/156855408783810939
- K. J. Kim, S. Bumm, and J. L. White, "Volatile Extractives Effects of Pine Wood on PP/Pine Wood Compounds on Rheological Properties", J. Biobased Materials and Bioenergy, 1, 388 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1166/jbmb.2007.015
- Y. Suetsugu and J. L. White, "The Influence of Particle Size and Surface Coating of Calcium Carbonate on The Rheological Properties of Its Suspensions in Molten Polystyrene", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 28, 1481 (1983). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.1983.070280421
- R. Yosomiya, K. Morimoto, A. Nakajima, Y. Ikada, and S. Toshio, "Adhesion and Bonding in Composites"; Dekker, New York (1989).
- A. E. Woodward, "Atlas of Polymer Morphology", Munich, Hanser (1988).
- A. E. Woodward and D. R. Morrow, "Plastic Deformation of Poly-4-Methylpentene-1 Crystals", J. Polym. Sci. A2, 7, 1651 (1969). https://doi.org/10.1002/pol.1969.160071003
- G. M. Rizvi, L. M. Matuana, and C. B. Park, "Foaming of PS/Wood-Fiber Composites using Moisture as A Blowing Agent", Polym. Eng. Sci., 40, 2124 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.11345
- G. Guo, G. M. Rizvi, C. B. Park, and W. S. Lin, "Critical Processing Temperature in The Manufacture of Fine-Celled Plastic/Woof-Fiber Composite Foams", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 91, 621 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.13193
- R. S. Swingle, A. R. Urias, J. C. Doyle, and R. L. Voigt, "Chemical Composition of Kenaf Forage and Its Digestibility by Lambs and in Vitro", J. Anim. Sci., 46, 1346 (1978). https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.4651346x