- Volume 10 Issue 2
Application of Multi-Server Queuing Theory to Estimate Vehicle Travel Times at Freeway Electronic Toll-Collection Systems
고속도로 자동요금징수시스템의 차량 통행시간 산정을 위한 다중서비스 대기행렬이론 연구
- Received : 2011.01.05
- Accepted : 2011.03.25
- Published : 2011.04.30
This paper presents the investigation results of a research on how engineers can analyze the economic effect of the ETCS(Electronic Toll Collection System) installed to minimize the vehicle delays on freeway tollgates during toll payments. This research considered this economic effect to occur in the form of vehicle passing time reductions at the ETCS, and the multi-service queuing theory was applied to estimate these values. This research found: 1) When vehicles approaching tollgates show Poisson distribution and the service time of the ETCS shows Exponential distribution, the multi-service queuing theory would be applicable for estimating vehicle passing times at toll-gates, 2) Despite the ETCS placement, exit sections of tollgates give a greater reduction of vehicle passing times than entering sections due to more delays at conventional toll payments, and 3)The ETCS would not guarantee vehicle passing time reductions all the time, because in such a case as many vehicles were queuing at the ETCS, the total delay level for a toll gate would increase greatly. In addition, in order to examine the accuracy of the estimated vehicle passing values, this research compared the values from the multi-service queuing theory with the observed values from a set of field survey values at freeway toll-gates, and found that the two values were in a good agreement with a very low error range of 1-3 seconds per vehicle. Based on this result, the multi-service queuing theory was recommended for practice.
- 이상건, 조용성, 오세창, "자동요금징수시스템 (ETCS)의 시범사업 효과분석(하이패스 시스템을 중심으로)," 대한교통학회지, 제19권, 제4호, pp.59-68, 2001. 8.
- 국회예산정책처, "하이패스 사업평가," 국회예산정책처, 2008. 11.
- K.Waersted, "Urban Tolling in NORWAY-Practical Experiences, social and environmental impacts and plans for future systems," PIARC Seminar on Road Pricing with emphasis on Financing, Regulation and Equity, April 2005.
- G. U. Padayhag, R. G. Sigua, "Evaluation of metro manila's electronic toll collection(ETC) system," Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies, vol.5, October 2003.
- D. Gross, J. F. Shortle, J. M. Thompson and C. M. Harris, "Fundamentals of queueing theory," A John Wiley & Sons, INC., Publication, Fourth Edition, August 2008.
- D. K. Smith, "Calculation of steady-state probabilities of M/M queues: further approaches," Journal of Applied Mathematics and Decision Sciences, March 2002.
- M. C. Pietrzyk and E. A. Mierzejewski, "Electronic toll and traffic management(ETTM) systems," Transportation Research Board, NCHRP Synthesis Report 194, January 1993.
- 정희운, "경제성 분석을 이용한 Hi-Pass의 효율적인 운영방안에 관한 연구," 한양대학교 석사논문, 2002. 12.
- 이호우, "대기행렬이론-확률과정론적 분석-," 시그마프레스, 제3판, 2006. 1.
- 한국도로공사, "도로설계요령, 제3-3편: 영업소," 한국도로공사, 2009. 2.