- Volume 11 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Impact of Leader's Coaching on Employees' Job Satisfaction and Job Involvement: Focusing on Mediating Effect of Self-efficacy
리더의 코칭이 조직구성원들의 직무만족과 직무몰입에 미치는 영향: 자기효능감의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Received : 2011.06.10
- Accepted : 2011.07.18
- Published : 2011.07.28
This study investigated the impact of leader's coaching on job satisfaction and job involvement. In particular, this study examined employees' self-efficacy as a mediator in the relationship between leader's coaching and job satisfaction and job involvement. On the basis of theoretical linkages between the constructs, a conceptual model and hypotheses were established. Empirical data were collected by using a set of questionnaires. This survey was administered to employees working in 20 firms. 269 samples were used for the analysis. This study conducted a exploratory factor analysis and confirmatory factor analysis for the validity test, structural equation modeling(SEM) was employed to test the hypothesized relationships in the conceptual model. This study shows that the proposed model is reasonably fit to the actual data. From these analyses, the following results were obtained. First, leader's coaching is positively related to employees' self-efficacy. Second, leader's coaching is positively related to job satisfaction and job involvement. Third, employees' self-efficacy has partially mediated effects on the relationship between leader's coaching and job satisfaction and job involvement.
Leader's Coaching;Self-efficacy;Job Satisfaction;Job Involvement
- J. J. Arnold, S. Arad, J. A. Rhoades, and F. Drasgow, "The Empowering Leadership Questionnaire: The construction and validation of a new scale for measuring leader behaviors," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.21, pp.249-269, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(200005)21:3<249::AID-JOB10>3.0.CO;2-#
- R. Agawal, C. M. Angst, and M. Magni, "The performance effects of coaching: a multilevel analysis using hierarchical linear modeling," The International Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol.20, No.10, pp.2110-2134, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190903178054
- M. London, Job feedback: Giving, seeking, and using feedback for performance improvement, Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2003.
- G. Yukl, "Leadership In Organizations(6th ed.)," Upper Saddle River, Nj Prentice Hall, 2006.
- A. D. Ellinger, A. E. Ellinger, and S. B. Keller, "Supervisory coaching behavior, employee satisfaction, and warehouse employee performance : a dyadic perspective in the distribution industry," Human Resourse Development Quarterly, Vol.14, No.4, pp.435-458, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrdq.1078
- A. B. Elmadag, A. E. Ellinger, and G. R. Franke, "Antecedents and consequences of frontline service employee commitment to service quality," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, Vol.16, No.2, pp.95-10, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679160201
- 김정식, 서문교, "리더의 코칭행위가 조직구성원들의 인지적 유연성과 성과에 미치는 영향", 인적자원관리연구, 제15권, 제3호, pp.31-48, 2008.
- 정태영, 최운실, "영업관리자의 코칭이 직원의 직무성과에 미치는 영향 분석", 인력개발연구, 제11권, 제3호, pp.125-153, 2009.
- S. B. Brown, "A meta-analysis and review of organizational research on job involvement," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.20, pp.235-255, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.120.2.235
- S. P. Brown and T. W. Leigh, A new look at psychological climate and its relationship to Job involvement, effort, and performance, Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.81, No.4, pp.358-368, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.81.4.358
- C. Chen and S. Chiu, "The mediating role of job involvement in the relationship between job characteristics and organizational citizenship behavior," The Journal of Social Psychology, Vol.149, No.4, pp.474-494, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3200/SOCP.149.4.474-494
- J. L. Cotton and J. M. Tuttle, "Employee turnover: A meta-analysis and review with implications for research," Academy of Management Review, Vol.11, pp.55-70, 1986. https://doi.org/10.2307/258331
- J. M. Diefendorff, D. J. Brown, A. M. Kamin, and R. G. Lord, "Examining the roles of job involvement and work centrality in predicting organizational citizenship behaviors and job performance," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.23, pp.93-108, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.123
- R. P. Tett and J. P. Meyer, "Job satisfaction, organizational commitment, turnover intention, and turnover: Path analyses based on meta-analytical findings," Personnel Psychology, Vol.46, pp.259-293, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1993.tb00874.x
- K. Nielsen and F. Munir, "How do transformational leaders influence followers' affective well-being? Exploring the mediating role of self-efficacy," Work & Stress, Vol.23, No.4, pp.313-329, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678370903385106
- A. Srivastava, K. M. Bartol, and E. A. Locke, "Empowering leadership in management teams: Effects on knowledge sharing, efficacy, and performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.49, No.6, pp.1239-1251, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2006.23478718
- B. S. O'Neill and M. A. Mone, "Investigating Equity Sensitivity as a Moderator of Relations Between Self-Efficacy and Workplace Attitudes," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.83, No.5, pp.805-816, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.83.5.805
- A. Carmeli and J. Schaubroeck, "The influence of leaders' and other referents' normative expectations on individual involvement in creative work," The Leadership Quarterly, Vo.18, pp.35-48, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2006.11.001
- R. R. Kilburg, "Facilitating intervention adherence in executive coaching: a model and methods," Consulting Psychology Journal: Research and Practice, Vol.53, pp.251-267, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/1061-4087.53.4.251
- S. Berglas, "The very real danger of executive coaching," Harvard Business Review, pp.86-92, 2002(6).
- F. F. Fournies, Coaching for Improved Work Performance, Liberty Hall Press, Chichester, 1987.
- C. D. Orth, H. E. Wilkinson, and R. C. Benfari, "The manager's role as coach and mentor," Organizational Dynamics, Vol.15, No.4, pp.66-74, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(87)90045-3
- S. J. Stowell, Leadership and the coaching process in organizations, unpublished doctoral dissertation, The University of Utah, 1987.
- R. D. Evered and J. C. Selman, "Coaching and the art of management," Organizational Dynamics, Vol.18, pp.16-32, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0090-2616(89)90040-5
- D. T. Hall, K. L. Otazo, and G. P. Hollenbeck, "Behind closed doors: What really happens in executive coaching," Organizational Dynamics, Vol.27, No.3, pp.39-52, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-2616(99)90020-7
- B. Redshaw, "Evaluating organizational effectiveness," Measuring Business Excellence, Vol.5, No.1, pp.16-18, 2000.
- C. A. Douglas and W. H. Morley, Executive coaching: An annotated bibliography, Greensboro, NC: Centre for Creative Leadership, 2001.
- A. Bandura, Social foundations of thought and action: A social cognitive theory, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey : Prentice-hall, 1986.
- K. W. Thomas and B. A. Velthouse, "Cognitive elements of empowerment: An "interpretive" model of intrinsic task motivation", Academy of Management Review, Vol.15, pp.666-681, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/258687
- G. M. Spreitzer, "Psychological empowerment in the workplace: Dimensions, measurement, and validation," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.36, No.5, pp.1442-1465, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/256865
- A. Bandura, Self-efficacy: The exercise of control, New York: Freeman, 1997.
- R. N. Kanungo, "Measurement of job and work involvement," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.67, No.3, pp.341-349, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.67.3.341
- P. P. Brooke, D. W. Russell, and J. L. Price, "Discuss validation of measures of job satisfaction, job involvement and organizational commitment," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.73, No.2, pp.139-145, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.73.2.139
- B. M. Bass, Leadership and performance beyond expectations, New York: Free Press, 1985.
- G. R. Jones, "Socialization tactics, self-efficacy, and newcomers' adjustments to organizations," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.29, pp.262-279, 1986.. https://doi.org/10.2307/256188
- E. A. Locke, The nature and causes of job satisfaction. In M. D. Dunnette (Ed.), Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology (pp.1297-1349). Chicago: Rand McNally, 1976.
- S. B. Bacharach, P. Bamberger, and S. Conley, "Work-home conflict among nurses and engineers: Mediating the impact of role stress on burnout and satisfaction at work," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.12, No.1, pp.39-53, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030120104
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, R. E. Anderson, and R. L. Tatham, Multivariate Data Analysis(6th ed.), New Jersey : Prentice Hall, 2006.
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.18, pp.39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- E. K. Kelloway, Using LISREL for structural equation modeling, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 1998.
- E. L. Deci, "Intrinsic motivation," New York: Plenum, (1975).