- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Core Sedimentary Facies at the Ulleung Basin in the East Sea of Korea
한국 동해 울릉분지 코어 퇴적상 특성
Lee, Byoung-Kwan;Lee, Su-Woong;Kim, Hong-Tae;Kim, Seok-Yun
- Received : 2010.10.27
- Accepted : 2011.06.09
- Published : 2011.07.31
A study on the grain size change, sedimentary facies and age indicator of volcanic tephra was analysis through four cores (P1 ~ P4) at the Ulleung Basin in the East Sea of Korea. The two cores (P1 and P2) were collected in the northeastern side of the Ulleung Basin (about 2,000 m in water depth), while the other two cores (P3 and P4) with the water depth of about 1,500 m and 1,700 m, respectively, were collected from the continental slope of the southwestern and western side of the Ulleung Basin. Four sedimentary facies and eight sedimentary subfacies were identified. The four facies were massive sand, bioturbated mud, homogeneous mud, and laminated mud. The eight subfacies were further divided as pumiceous ash massive sand, scorieaous massive sand, plain bioturbated mud, pyrite filamented bioturbated mud, distinctly laminated mud, indistinctly laminated mud, thinly laminated mud and homogeneous mud. The homogeneous mud was not found in the core of P3 which is located in the western side of Ulleung Basin (close to the Korean coast). In the case of laminated mud facies, the thinly laminated mud facies was dominated in the lower part of core sequences of the Ulleung Basin (P1 and P2), while the indistinctly laminated mud were overally distributed in the core sequences from the continental slope of Ulleung Basin. The Tephra layers from the core sequences of central Ulleung Basin were more dominated and distinctive than those from the core sequences of continental slope. This is related to the distance from the volcanic source and the amount of sediment supply. The core locations of Ulleung-Oki Tephra layers in the central Ulleung Basin were in the upper part of core sequences, while those in the continental slope were in the lower part of core sequences. This is indicated that the amounts of sediment supply in the continental slope after the Ulleung-Oki eruption were very high and different sedimentary environment between upper and lower of Tephra layer.
East Sea;Ulleung Basin;Sedimentary facies;Ulleung-Oki Tephra;Core sediment
- 김종수, 1981, 한국 동해 해저지질에 관한 연구, 박사학위논문, 서울대학교.
- 이석우, 1992, 한국 근해 해상지, 집문당, 334.
- Arai, F., Kitazato, T., Horibe, H., Machida, H., 1981, Late Quaternary tephrochronology and paleogeography of the sediments of the Japan Sea, Qust. Res., 20, 209-230. https://doi.org/10.4116/jaqua.20.209
- Chough, S. K., 1984, Fine-grained turbidites and associated mass-flow deposits in the Ulleung (Tshshima) Back-arc Basin, East Sea(Sea of Japan), Deep-water processes and products, Geol, Soc, London Spec. Publ., 15, 185-199. https://doi.org/10.1144/GSL.SP.1984.015.01.12
- Chough, S. K., Lee, G. H., Park, B. K., Kim, S. W., 1984, Fine structures of turbidite and associated muds in the Ulleung Basin, East Sea. J. Sed. Pet., 54, 1212-1220.
- Chough, S. K., Lee, H. J., Han, S. J., 1991, Sedimentological and geotechnical properties of fine-grained sediments in part of the South Sea, Korea. Cont. Shelf Res., 11, 183-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-4343(91)90061-A
- Chough, S. K., Jeong, K. S., Honza, E., 1985, Zoned facies of mass-flow deposits in the Ulleung(Tsushima) basin, East Sea(sea of Japan), Mar. Geol., 65, 113-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(85)90049-0
- Chun, J. H., Han, S. J., Cheong, D. K., Huh, S., Shin, D. H., 1997, Volcanic processes of the Ulleung-II tephra (Ulleung-Oki ash) erupted from the Ulleung Island, Ocean Research, 19, 275-283 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1187(97)00030-8
- Folk, R. L., Ward., W. C., 1957, Brazos River bar: A study in the significance of grain size parameters, J. Sed. Petro., 27, 3-27. https://doi.org/10.1306/74D70646-2B21-11D7-8648000102C1865D
- Furuta, T., Fujioka, K., Arai, F., 1986, Widespread submarine tephras around Japan-Petrographic and chemical properties, Mar. Geol., 72, 125-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(86)90103-9
- Hilde, T. W. C., Wageman, J. M., 1973, Structure and orgin of the Japan Sea, In: Coleman, P. J.(ed.) The Western Pacific Crance, Russak and Co., New York, 415-434.
- Hill, P. R., 1984, Sedimentary facies of the Nova Scotian upper and middle continental slope, offshore Canada, Sedimentology, 31, 293-309. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3091.1984.tb00861.x
- Kobayashi, K., 1985, Sea of Japan and Okinawa Trough, Ocean basins and Margins, The Pacific Ocean, Plenum Press, New York, 419-458.
- Lee, B. K., Kim, S. Y., 2007, Sedimentary Facies and Processes in the Ulleung Basin and Southern East Sea, J. Korean Fish. Soc, 40, 160-166. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2007.40.3.160
- Lee, H. J., Chough, S. K., Chun, S. S., Han, S. J., 1991, Sediment failure on the Korea Plateau slope, East Sea(Sea of Japan). Mar. Geol., 110, 7-30.
- Lee, H. J., Chun, S. S., Yoon, S. H., Kim, S. R., 1993, Sediment failure on the Korea Plateau slope, East Sea(Sea of Japan). Mar. Geol., 110, 7-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(93)90102-2
- Lee, Y. D., You, H. S., Kim, S. Y., 1996, Silicoflagellate biostratigraphy and sediment facies in Ulleung Basin the East Sea, G. Geol. Soc. Kor., 32, 73-90.
- Machida, H., Arai, F., Lee, B. S., Moriwaki, H., Furuta, T., 1984. Late Quaternary tephras in Ulleung-do Island, Korea. Journal of Geography, 93, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.5026/jgeography.93.1
- Machida, H., Arai, F., 1992, Atlas of Tephra in and around Japan, Univ. of Tokyo press, ISBN 4-13-66700-9, 276.
- Murray, J., Renard, A. J., 1984, On the microscopic characters of volcanic ashes and cosmic dust and their distribution in the deep-sea deposits, Proc. Roy. Soc. Edinburgh, 12, 474-495.
- Oba, T., Kato, M., Kitazato, H., Koizumi, I., Omura, A., Sakai, T., Takayama, T., 1991, Paleoenvironmental changes in the Japan Sea during the last 85.000years, Paleoceanography, 6(4), 499-518. https://doi.org/10.1029/91PA00560
- Park, S. C., Yoo, D. G., 1988, Depositional history of Quaternary sediments on the continental shelf off the southeastern coast of Korea(Korea Strait), Mar. Geol., 79, 65-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-3227(88)90157-0
- Park, Y. A., 1983, The nature of Holocene sedimentation and sedimentary facies of the continental shelves of Korea. Proceeding, 1983 Summer conference for domestic and foreign scholars of science and technology, KOFET, 72-80.
- Piper, D. J. W., 1978, Turbidite muds and silts in deep-sea fans and abyssal plains. Hutchinson and Ross, Stroudsburg, Penn., 163-176.
- Seibold, E., Berger, W. H., 1982, The Sea Floor. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 380.
- Uyeda, S., Miyashiro, A., 1974, Plate tectonics and Japanese Islands: Asynthesis: Geol. Soc. Amer. Bull., 85, 1159-1170. https://doi.org/10.1130/0016-7606(1974)85<1159:PTATJI>2.0.CO;2
- Youn, J. S., Jung, D. S., 1992, Sedimentological characteristics and depositional environment of marine sediment around the Cheju Island, Korea. J. Geol. Soc. Korea, 28, 342-365.