- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Antimicrobial Activity and Coloration of Environment-Friendly Biopolymer, Bacterial Cellulose
환경친화적 바이오폴리머인 세균 섬유소의 항균활성과 염색성
- Lee, Na-Ri ;
- Jeong, Jin-Ha ;
- Park, Sung-Bo ;
- Jeong, Seong-Yun ;
- Hwang, Dae-Youn ;
- Kim, Hong-Sung ;
- Son, Hong-Joo
- Received : 2011.04.22
- Accepted : 2011.06.14
- Published : 2011.07.31
In order to develop bacterial cellulose (BC) with antimicrobial activity against pathogenic microorganisms, silver and chitosan were incorporated into BC, respectively. Experiment results showed that antimicrobial activity against pathogenic microorganisms was improved with increasing silver concentration. Chitosan also showed a direct proportion between its concentration and antimicrobial activity. These results suggest that antimicrobial effects of BC using silver and chitosan are well proven to be effective. We also tested the stainability of BC with natural colorant for the application of food industry. Stainability of BC was enhanced with increasing natural colorant concentration. Decolorization of BC stained was observed by dipping it into distilled water with one hour-intervals. As a result, there was no significant difference. Combination of natural colorant-stainability and antibiosis of BC is expected to be useful in making colored antibiotic BC in various industrial application areas, considering its antimicrobial activity, high stainability and low decolorization tendency.
Acetobacter sp.;Cellulose;Antimicrobial activity;Coloration
- Cannon, R. E., Anderson, S. M., 1991, Biogenesis of bacterial cellulose. Crit. Rev. Microbiol., 17, 435-447. https://doi.org/10.3109/10408419109115207
- Cho, K. R., Jang, J. D., 1993, Studies on the natural dyes(VI)-dyeing of cellulose fibers by color of Cape Jasmin, J. Pusan Women's Juni. Coll., 36, 323-334.
- Choi, S. C., Jung, J. S., 1997, Studies of antimicrobial from extracts of Impatiens balsamina (I), J. Kor. Textile Sci. Eenginee., 34, 393-399.
- Ciechanska, D., 2002, Multifunctional bacterial cellulose/chitosan composite materials for medical applications, Fib. Texti. East. Eur., 12, 69-72.
- Delmer, D. P., 1999, Cellulose biosynthesis: exciting times for a difficult field of study, Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 50, 245-276. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.arplant.50.1.245
- Embuscado, M. E., BeMiller, J. N., Marks, J. S., 1996, Isolation and partial characterization of cellulose produced by Acetobacter xylinum, Food Hydrocoll., 10, 75-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-005X(96)80057-9
- Gaisforda, S., Beezera, A. E., Bishopb, A. H., Walkerc, M., Parsonsc, D., 2009, An in vitro method for the quantitative determination of the antimicrobial efficacy of silver-containing wound dressings, Int. J. Pharm., 366, 111-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2008.09.005
- Jung, H. I., Lee, O. M., Jeong, J. H., Jeon, Y. D., Park, K. H., Kim, H. S., An, W. G., Son, H. J., 2010, Production and characterization of cellulose by Acetobacter sp. V6 using a cost-effective molasses-corn steep liquor medium, Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol., 162, 486-497. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-009-8759-9
- Kelmm, D., Schumann, D., Udhard, U., Marsch, S., 2001, Bacterial synthesized cellulose-artficial blood vessels for microsurgery, Prog. Polym. Sci., 26, 1561-1603. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6700(01)00021-1
- Kuroyanagi, Y., Shioya, N., 1996, Advanced in wound dressing and cultured skin substitute, Kitasato Univ. Press, Tokyo, 32-77.
- Lim, Y. T, Choi, H. K., Ahn, Y. H., 2001, Antimicrobial activity assessment of functional plastics which contained Ag-hydroxyapatite agent, Kor. J. Biotechnol. Bioeng., 16, 123-127.
- Marone, P., Monzillo, V., Perversi, L., Carretto, E., 1998, Comparative in vitro activity of silver sulfadiazine, alone and in combination with cerium nitrate, against staphylococci and gram-negative bacteria, J. Chemother., 10, 17-21. https://doi.org/10.1179/joc.1918.104.22.168
- Okiyama, A., Shirae, H., Kano, H., Yamanaka, S., 1992, Bacterial cellulose. Two-stage fermentation process for cellulose production by Acetobacter aceti, Food Hydrocoll., 6, 471-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-005X(09)80032-5
- Sheu, F., Wang, C. L., Shyu, Y. T., 2000, Fermentation of Monascus purpureus on bacterial cellulose-nata and the color stability of Monascus-nata complex, J. Food, Sci., 65, 342-345. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2000.tb16004.x
- Stefano, B,, Jean, H. U., Ralph, B. D., Robert, J. S., 2001, Prolonged antimicrobial activity of a catheter containing chlorhexidine silver sulfadiazine extends protection against catheter infections in vivo, Antimicrob. Agents Chemother., 45, 1535-1538. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.45.5.1535-1538.2001
- Wright, J. B., Lam, K., Hansen, D., Burrell, R. E., 1999, Efficacy of topical silver against fungal burn wound pathogens, Am. J. Infect. 27, 344-350. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0196-6553(99)70055-6
- Yamanaka, S., Watanabe, K., Kitamura, N., Iguchi, M., Mitsuhashi, S., Nishi, Y., Uryu, M., 1989, The structure and mechanical properties of sheets prepared from bacterial cellulose, J. Mat. Sci., 24, 3141-3145. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01139032
- Yoshino, T., Asakura, T., Toda, K., 1996, Cellulose production by Acetobacter pasteurianus on silicone membrane, J. Ferment. Bioeng., 81, 32-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0922-338X(96)83116-3