- Volume 22 Issue 4
Effect of threats to anonymity on data reliability in internet survey
인터넷 설문조사에서 익명성 훼손이 응답에 미치는 효과
- Heo, Sun-Yeong (Department of Statistics, Changwon National University) ;
- Chang, Duk-Joon (Department of Statistics, Changwon National University)
- Received : 2011.05.09
- Accepted : 2011.07.25
- Published : 2011.08.01
The population of internet users are rapidly increasing and the interest of the internet survey is also increasing. Recent years has seen a transition from traditional modes of data collection into internet survey. Some surveys are administered with mixed modes of traditional data collection methods and internet survey, and some surveys are conducted through internet only instead of traditional modes, such as telephone survey, postal survey, face-to-face interviews and so on. However, one of most crucial parts of a survey is the reliability of the collected data and internet survey is no exemption. Changwon National University has been annually conducting a survey of new students and transfer students with almost same contents of questionnaire. The survey is a longitudinal survey and it had been administered by paper-pencil surveys until 2009. In 2010 the survey was administered through internet. Every students has to login with student ID number and the last 7-digit of national identity registration number, and complete the 2010 survey before registration their courses. If they leave any question without being answered, then could not move to the registration site for courses. This study explores the distortion of responses using the new students survey of Changwon National University, which could occur when the survey responses are not confidential. We find that the distortion of responses occurs from the questions with social desirability pressure, pressure of winning favor with the researcher, and pressure of explaining their situations. There are no distortion of responses from the questions which are describing simple opinions or simple facts, for example, the place they plan to live while in school.
Supported by : 창원대학교
- 김달호, 김남희 (1998). 신뢰성있는 지역통계 추정을 위한 제언. <한국데이터정보과학회지>, 9, 337-344.
- 김달호, 조길호, 황진섭, 정경하 (2009). 경북인의 생활과 의식조사 표본설계. <한국데이터정보과학회지>, 20,1155-1167.
- 김달호, 황진섭, 곽상규 (2010). 중소기업실태조사를 위한 표본설계. <한국데이터정보과학회지>, 21, 1021-1029.
- 방송통신위원회.한국인터넷진흥원 (2010). <2010년 인터넷이용실태조사 요약보고서>, 한국인터넷진흥원, 서울.
- 허순영 (2007). <2007학년도 신입생 실태조사 보고서>, 창원대학교 종합인력개발원, 창원.
- 허순영 (2009). <2009학년도 신입생 실태조사 보고서>, 창원대학교 종합인력개발원, 창원.
- 허순영, 장덕준 (2010). 지역교육청 수요자 만족도조사를 위한 표본설계에 관한 연구. <한국데이터정보과학회지>, 21, 669-679.
- 창원대학교 종합인력개발원 (2010). <2010학년도 신(편)입생 실태조사 보고서>, 창원대학교 종합인력개발원, 창원.
- Acree, M., Ekstrand, M., Coates, T. J. and Stall, R. (1999). Mode effects in surveys of gay men: A within-individual comparison of responses by mail and by telephone. Journal of Sex Research, 36, 67-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224499909551969
- Dillman, D. A. (2000). Mail and internet surveys: The tailored design method, 2nd. Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Holbrook, A. L. and Krosnick, J. A. (2010). Social desirability bias in voter turnout report: Tests using the item count technique. Public Opinion Quarterly, 74, 37-67. https://doi.org/10.1093/poq/nfp065
- Fowler, F. J., Roman, A. M. and Di, Z. X. (1998). Mode effects in a survey of medicare prostate surgery patients. Public Opinion Quarterly, 62, 29-46. https://doi.org/10.1086/297829
- Sparrow, N. and Curtice, J. (2004). Measuring the attitudes of the general public via internet polls: An evaluation. International Journal of Market Research, 46, 23-44.
- Tsuchiya, T., Hirai, Y. and Ono, S. (2007). Sensitive questions in surveys. Psychological Bulletin, 133, 859-83. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.133.5.859