- Volume 22 Issue 4
In machine learning and statistics it is often the case that some variables are not important, while some variables are more important than others. We propose a novel algorithm for selecting such relevant variables in the kernel Cox regression. We employ the weighted version of ANOVA decomposition kernels to choose optimal subset of relevant variables in the kernel Cox regression. Experimental results are then presented which indicate the performance of the proposed method.
Supported by : NRF
- Breslow, N. (1974). Covariance analysis of censored survival data. Biometrics, 30, 89-99. https://doi.org/10.2307/2529620
- Cho, D. H., Shim, J. and Seok, K. H. (2010). Doubly penalized kernel method for heteroscedastic autore- gressive data. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 21, 155-162.
- Cox, D. R. (1972). Regression models and life tables(with discussions). Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, B, 34, 187-220.
- Cox, D. R. (1975). Partial likelihood. Biometrika, 62, 269-276. https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/62.2.269
- Craven, P. and Wahba, G. (1979). Smoothing noisy data with spline functions: Estimating the correct degree of smoothing by the method of generalized cross-validation. Numerical Mathematics, 31, 377- 403.
- Evers, L. and Messow, C. M. (2008). Sparse kernel methods for high-dimensional survival data. Bioinfor- matics, 24, 1632-1638. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btn253
- Fan, J. and Li, R. (2001). Variable selection via nonconcave penalized likelihood and its oracle properties. Journal of the American Statistical Association, 96, 348-1360.
- Hwang, C. and Shim, J. (2010). Semiparametric support vector machine for accelerated failure time model. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 21, 467-477.
- Li, H. and Luan, Y. (2003). Kernel Cox regression models for linking gene expression profiles to censored survival data. Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing, 8, 865-876.
- Mercer, J. (1909). Functions of positive and negative type and their connection with theory of integral equations. Philosophical Transactions of Royal Society A, 415-446.
- Sauerbrei, W. and Schumacher, M. (1992). A bootstrap resampling procedure for model building: Appli- cation to the Cox regression model. Statistical Medicine, 11, 2093-2099. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.4780111607
- Saunders, C., Gammerman, A. and Vovk, V. (1998). Ridge regression learning algorithm in dual variables. Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Machine Learning, 515-521.
- Schoelkopf, B., Burge, C. and Smola, A. (1998). Advances in kernel methods: Support vector learning, MIT Press, MA.
- Shim, J. (2005). Censored kernel ridge regression. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 16, 1045-1052.
- Shim, J. and Lee, J. T. (2009). Kernel method for autoregressive data. Journal of the Korean Data & Information Science Society, 20, 467-472.
- Tibshirani, R. (1996). Regression shrinkage and selection via the lasso. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B, 58, 267-288.
- Tibshirani, R.(1997). The Lasso method for variable selection in the Cox model. Statistics in Medicine, 16, 385-395. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19970228)16:4<385::AID-SIM380>3.0.CO;2-3
- Tsiatis, R. (1978). A heuristic estimate of the asymptotic variance of survival probability in Cox' regression model, Technical report of University of Wisconsin, number 524.
- Zhang, H. H. and Lu, W. (2007). Adaptive Lasso for Cox's proportional hazards model. Biometrika, 94, 691-703. https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/asm037