- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Pattern alopecia in a miniature pinscher dog
미니어쳐 핀셔견에서 발생한 형태탈모증(pattern alopecia) 1례
- Kang, Jongil (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Wanghui (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Park, Jeongho (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Oh, Taeho (College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Cho, Seongwhan (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Park, Seongjun (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University)
- 강종일 (충남대학교 수의과대학) ;
- 이왕희 (충남대학교 수의과대학) ;
- 박정호 (충남대학교 수의과대학) ;
- 오태호 (경북대학교 수의과대학) ;
- 조성환 (충남대학교 수의과대학) ;
- 박성준 (충남대학교 수의과대학)
- Received : 2011.09.01
- Accepted : 2011.10.07
- Published : 2011.12.30
A dog (5.6 kg, 4-year-old, castrated male, Miniature pinscher) with diffuse symmetric alopecia on the chest and excessive scales was referred to Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital of Chungnam National University, Korea. On physical examination, diffuse alopecia on ventral aspect of the neck and caudomedial thighs, and severe scales were presented. Dermatologic tests of lesions revealed bacterial infections. Histopathologically, atrophy of hair bulb was observed in the severely alopecic lesion of caudomedial thighs. ACTH stimulation test was performed to differentiate the endocrine disorder related to generalized alopecia. The pre-ACTH serum testosterone and progesterone concentrations were above normal ranges and the post-ACTH serum testosterone concentration was high. The pre- and post-ACTH serum estradiol and cortisol concentrations were within normal ranges. Canine pattern alopecia was diagnosed based on history, physical examination, hormonal assay and dermatohistopathologic examination. After 3 months of melatonin administration, multifocal alopecia on the trunk was improved and general hair regrowth was identified.
- Ashley PF, Frank LA, Schmeitzel LP, Bailey EM, Oliver JW. Effect of oral melatonin administration on sex hormone, prolactin, and thyroid hormone concentrations in adult dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1999, 215, 1111-1115.
- Gross TL, Ihrke PJ, Walder EJ, Affolter VK. Skin disease of the dog and Cat: Clinical and histopathologic diagnosis. 2nd ed. pp. 501-503, Oxford, Blackwell, 2005.
- Medleau L, Hnilica KA. Small Animal Dermatology: A Color Atlas and Therapeutic Guide. 2nd ed. Chapter 9. pp. 229-273, Saunders, St. Louis, 2006.
- Morris DO. Disorders of hair and hair growth. In: Campbell KL (ed.). Small Animal Dermatology Secrets. pp. 99-105, Hanley & Bellfus, Pennsylvania, 2004.
- Paradis M. Melatonin in the treatment of canine pattern baldness. In: Kwochka KW, Tscharner CV, Willemse T (eds.). Advances in Veterinary Dermatology. Volume 3. pp. 511, Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, 1998.
- Paradis M. Melatonin therapy in canine alopecia. In: Bonagura JD (ed.). Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XIII: Small Animal Practice. 13th ed. pp. 546-549, WB Saunders, Philadelphia, 2000.
- Paradis M. Canine pattern alopecia. In: Mecklenburg L, Linek M, Tobin DJ (eds.). Hair Loss Disorders in Domestic Animals. pp. 164-169, Wiley-Balckwell, Ames, 2009.
- Schoning PR, Cowan LA. Bald thigh syndrome of Greyhound dogs: gross and microscopic findings. Vet Dermatol 2000, 11, 49-51. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3164.2000.00175.x
- Scott DW, Miller WH Jr, Griffin CE. Muller and Kirk's Small Animal Dermatology. 6th ed. pp. 253-254, 964-966, Sanunders, Philadelphia, 2001.
- Yager JA, Wilcock BP. Color Atlas and Text of Surgical Pathology of the Dog and Cat: Dermatopathology and Skin Tumors. Volume 1. pp. 235, Mosby Year Book, England, 1994.