- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Awareness effects by aquapuncture with dexamethasone in tiletamine/zolazepam anesthetized dogs
- Park, Hyung-Jin (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Song, Kun-Ho (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Duck-Hwan (College of Veterinary Medicine, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2011.10.10
- Accepted : 2011.12.07
- Published : 2011.12.30
Awareness effect of aquapuncture with dexamethasone on GV-26 was studied in tiletamine/zolazapam anesthetized six healthy crossbred dogs using a randomized cross-over experimental study design. After anesthesia by tiletamine/zolazapam, 0.1 mg dexamethasone was injected on GV-26 at 20 min in the experimental group. For the control group, 0.1 mg dexamethasone was injected on the quadriceps femoralis. A significant difference was evident in the sedation score between groups at 60 and 90 min (p < 0.05). A significant difference was also evident in the analgesia score at 50 and 60 min (p < 0.05). At 90 min, all dogs in the experimental group responded strongly to pain (p < 0.01). Head up time, sternal recumbent time, standing time, and walking time was shorter in the experimental group, but the difference from the control group was statistically significant only for head up time and walking time (p < 0.05). GV-26 acupuncture with dexamethasone is useful for awareness effects after anesthesia.
- Batra YK, Negi ON. Therapeutic electroacupuncture in the treatment of cervical spine syndrome. Am J Acupunct 1987, 15, 49-51.
- Cao QS. A brief view of experimental studies on relationship between the pericardium channel and the heart. J Tradit Chin Med 1989, 9, 48-52.
- Chang CL, Lee JC, Tseng CC, Chang YH, Cheng JT. Decrease of anesthetic activity by electroacupuncture on Jen-Chung point in rabbits. Neurosci Lett 1995, 202, 93-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3940(95)12214-1
- Gurelik M, Karadag O, Polat S, Ozum U, Aslan A, Gurelik B, Goksel HM. The effects of the electrical stimulation of the nasal mucosa on cortical cerebral blood flow in rabbits. Neurosci Lett 2004, 365, 210-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2004.04.079
- Hellyer P, Muir WW 3rd, Hubbell JA, Sally J. Cardiorespiratory effects of the intravenous administration of tiletamine-zolazepam to dogs. Vet Surg 1989, 18, 160-165. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-950X.1989.tb01063.x
- Hubbell JAE, Bednarski RM, Muir WW. Xylazine and tiletamine-zolazepam anesthesia in horses. Am J Vet Res 1989, 50, 737-742.
- Hwang YC, Jenkins EM. Effect of acupuncture on young pigs with induced enteropathogenic Escherichia coli diarrhea. Am J Vet Res 1988, 49, 1641-1643.
- Jun HK, Oh HU, Han JW, Lee HH, Jeong SM, Choi SH, Kim MH, Kim DH. Therapeutic effect of beevenom and dexamethasone in dogs with facial nerve paralysis. J Vet Clin 2007, 24, 503-508.
- Kim DS, Liu JZ, Lee JY, Kim MC, Shin ST, Kim DH. The anti-emetic effect of acupuncture and aquaacupuncture at PC-6 and BL-21 on the emesis by xylazine in dogs. Korean J Vet Res 2005, 45, 399-403.
- Kim KI, Yun YM, Lee JY, Kang TY, Kim GH, Cheong JT, Lee KK. The reverse effects by electroacupunture on Jun Chung (GV-26) in dogs. J Vet Clin 2003, 20, 312-316.
- Lagutchik MS, Januszkiewicz AJ, Dodd KT, Martin DG. Cardiopulmonary effects of a tiletamine-zolazepam combination in sheep. Am J Vet Res 1991, 52, 1441-1447.
- Lee DC, Lee MO, Clifford DH. Cardiovascular effects of acupuncture in anesthetized dogs. Am J Chin Med (Gard City N Y) 1974, 2, 271-282. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X74000341
- Lee DC, Lee MO, Clifford DH, Morris LE. The autonomic effects of acupuncture and analgesic drugs on the cardiovascular system. Am J Acupunct 1982, 10, 5-30.
- Lin HC. Dissociative anesthesics. In: Thurmon JC, Tranquilli WJ, Benson GJ (eds.). Lumb and Jone's Veterinary Anesthesia. 3rd ed. pp. 241-296, Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 1996.
- Massolo A, Sforzi A, Lovari S. Chemical immobilization of crested porcupines with tiletamine HCl and Zolazepam HCl (Zoletil) under field conditions. J Wildl Dis 2003, 39, 727-731. https://doi.org/10.7589/0090-3558-39.3.727
- Radzievsky SA, Lebedeva OD, Fisenko LA, Majskaja SA. Function of myocardial contraction and relaxation in essential hypertension in dynamics of acupuncture therapy. Am J Chin Med 1989, 17, 111-117. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X89000188
- Ruocco I, Cuello AC, Parent A, Ribeiro-Da-Silva A. Skin blood vessels are simultaneously innervated by sensory, sympathetic, and parasympathetic fibers. J Comp Neurol 2002, 448, 323-336. https://doi.org/10.1002/cne.10241
- Schoen AM. Electrocardiographic recording during dry needle stimulation of GV-26 following cardiac arrest. Int J Vet Acupunct 1990, 1, 21-23.
- Still J. Research in Veterinary Acupuncture. pp. 57-64, Belgian Veterinary Acupuncture Society, Brussels, 1991.
- Syuu Y, Matsubara H, Kiyooka T, Hosogi S, Mohri S, Araki J, Ohe T, Suga H. Cardiovascular beneficial effects of electroacupuncture at Neiguan (PC-6) acupoint in anesthetized open-chest dog. Jpn J Physiol 2001, 51, 231-238. https://doi.org/10.2170/jjphysiol.51.231