- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Rate of return to race after arthroscopic surgeries in Thoroughbred racehorses (2005~2010)
Thoroughbred 경주마의 관절경수술 후 경주복귀율 (2005~2010)
- Yang, Jaehyuk (Jeju Race Park, Korea Racing Authority) ;
- Lim, Yoon-Kyu (College of Veterinary Medicine and Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2011.09.04
- Accepted : 2011.11.16
- Published : 2011.12.30
The racehorses that under arthroscopic surgery due to be injured his limbs were studied during exercise or training at Busan Race Park from 2005 to 2010. Rate of arthroscopic surgical treatments was 1.4% (63/4,642). Affected bones were radius, radial carpal bone, third carpal bone, proximal phalanx, third metacarpal bone, femur, tibia, proximal sesamoid bone and intermediate carpal bone. The lesions were fracture, chip fracture, slap fracture, osteochonrosis, and osteochondrotitis dissencans. Number of patients under arthroscopic surgery were 63. Success horses of returned to racetrack or tried to return to racetrack were 58, and 5 horses were in training or resting at the time of publication. Success horses of returned to their previous use in the patients were 49 horses (84.4%) and no returned to the racetrack were 9 horses (15.6%) in 58 horses.
- Colahan PT, Mayhew IG, Merritt AM, Moore JN. Equine Medicine and Surgery. 4th ed. pp. 1143-1538, American Veterinary Publications Inc., California, 1991.
- Colahan PT, Merritt AM, Moore JN, Mayhew IG. Equine Medicine and Surgery. 5th ed. pp. 1273-1757, Mosby, St. Louis, 1999.
- Foerner JJ, McIlwraith CW. Orthopedic surgery in the racehorse. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 1990, 6, 147-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-0739(17)30561-8
- Foland JW, McIlwraith CW, Trotter GW. Arthroscopic surgery for osteochondritis dissecans of the femoropatellar joint of the horse. Equine Vet J 1992, 24, 419-423. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-3306.1992.tb02870.x
- Fortier LA, Nixon AJ. New surgical treatments for osteochondritis dissecans and subchondral bone cysts. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 2005, 21, 673-690. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cveq.2005.07.005
- Frisbie DD. Future directions in treatment of joint disease in horses. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 2005, 21, 713-724. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cveq.2005.07.001
- Higgins AJ, Snyder JR. The Equine Manual. 2nd ed. pp. 869-1058, Saunders, Philadelphia, 2006.
- Hinchcliff KW, Kaneps AJ, Geor RJ. Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery. 1st ed. pp. 188-209, Saunders, Philadelphia, 2004.
- Hodgson DR, Rose RJ, McGowan C. The Athletic Horse. 1st ed. pp. 275-325, Saunders, Philadelphia, 1994.
- Jeffcott LB, Henson FMD. Studies on growth cartilage in the horse and their application to aetiopathogenesis of dyschondroplasia (osteochondrosis). Vet J 1998, 156, 177-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1090-0233(98)80121-4
- Jeffcott LB. Osteochondrosis in the horse--searching for the key to pathogenesis. Equine Vet J 1991, 23, 331-338. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-3306.1991.tb03733.x
- Jeffcott LB, Rossdale PD, Freestone J, Frank CJ, Towers-Clark PF. An assessment of wastage in thoroughbred racing from conception to 4 years of age. Equine Vet J 1982, 14, 185-198. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-3306.1982.tb02389.x
- Kasashima Y, Takahashi T, Smith RK, Goodship AE, Kuwano A, Ueno T, Hirano S. Prevalence of superficial digital flexor tendonitis and suspensory desmitis in Japanese Thoroughbred flat racehorses in 1999. Equine Vet J 2004, 36, 346-350.
- McIlwraith CW. Experiences in diagnostic and surgical arthroscopy in the horse. Equine Vet J 1984, 16, 11-19. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-3306.1984.tb01837.x
- McIlwraith CW, Nixon AJ, Wright IM, Boening KJ. Diagnostic and Surgical Arthroscopy in the Horse. 3rd ed. pp. 31-336, Mosby, Oxford, 2005.
- Pozzi A, Hildreth BE 3rd, Rajala-Schultz PJ. Comparison of arthroscopy and arthrotomy for diagnosis of medial meniscal pathology: an ex vivo study. Vet Surg 2008, 37, 749-755. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-950X.2008.00442.x
- Rossdale PD, Hopes R, Digby NJ, Offord K. Epidemiological study of wastage among racehorses 1982 and 1983. Vet Rec 1985, 116, 66-69. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.116.3.66
- Shimozawa K, Ueno Y, Ushiya S, Kusunose R. Survey of arthroscopic surgery for carpal chip fractures in thoroughbred racehorses in Japan. J Vet Med Sci 2001, 63, 329-331. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.63.329
- Walmsley JP. Diagnosis and treatment of ligamentous and meniscal injuries in the equine stifle. Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 2005, 21, 651-672. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cveq.2005.08.003
- Yang JH, Yang YJ, Cho GJ, Cheong JT, Lim YK. The pattern of accidental bone fractures in Thoroughbred foals. Korean J Vet Res 2002, 42, 115-121.