- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The anti-parasitic efficacy of ivermectin and pyrantel pamoate compound against canine Toxocara canis and Trichuris vulpis
- Youn, Heejeong (Department of Veterinary Parasitology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University) ;
- Ra, Jeong Chan (RNL-Bio) ;
- Kim, Byung Ki (RNL-Bio) ;
- Bae, Bokyoung (Department of Veterinary Parasitology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University) ;
- Lim, Yong Suk (Department of Veterinary Parasitology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Kyong Hee (Department of Veterinary Parasitology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Kyong-Eun (Department of Veterinary Parasitology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2011.02.18
- Accepted : 2011.11.12
- Published : 2011.12.30
Toxocara (T.) canis and Trichuris (T.) vulpis are very important canine parasitic nematodes. T. canis parasitize in small intestine and T. vulpis parasitize in large intestine. In order to control of these nematodes, ivermectin and pyrantel pamoate compound was applied to the dogs infected with these parasites naturally and artificially. This drug was composed of
Supported by : Korean Research Foundation
- Anderson DL, Roberson EL. Activity of ivermectin against canine intestinal helminths. Am J Vet Res 1982, 43, 1681-1683.
- Clark JN, Daurio CP, Barth DW, Batty AF. Evaluation of a beef-based chewable formulation of pyrantel pamoate against induced and natural infections of hookworms and ascarids in dogs. Vet Parasitol 1991, 40, 127-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4017(91)90089-E
- Clark JN, Daurio CP, Plue RE, Wallace DH, Longhofer SL. Efficacy of ivermectin and pyrantel pamoate combined in a chewable formulation against heartworm, hookworm, and ascarid infections in dogs. Am J Vet Res 1992, 53,517-520.
- Corwin RM, McCurdy HD, Pratt SE. Effect of febantel against Ancylostoma caninum and Trichuris vulpis infections in dogs. Am J Vet Res 1982, 43, 1100- 1102.
- Corwin RM, Pratt SE, McCurdy HD. Anthelmintic effect of febantel/praziquantel paste in dogs and cats. Am J Vet Res 1984, 45, 154-155.
- Dryden MW, Ridley RK. Efficacy of fenbendazole granules and pyrantel pamoate suspension against Toxocara canis in greyhounds housed in contaminated runs. Vet Parasitol 1999, 82, 311-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4017(99)00025-4
- Epe C, Pankow WR, Hackbarth H, Schnieder T, Stoye M. A study on the prevention of prenatal and galactogenic Toxocara canis infections in pups by treatment of infected bitches with ivermectin or doramectin. Appl Parasitol 1995, 36, 115-123.
- Grandemange E, Claerebout E, Genchi C, Franc M. Field evaluation of the efficacy and the safety of a combination of oxantel/pyrantel/praziquantel in the treatment of naturally acquired gastrointestinal nematode and/or cestode infestations in dogs in Europe. Vet Parasitol 2007, 145, 94-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetpar.2006.11.013
- Greiner EC, Brenner DG, Cox DD, Heaton-Jones DL. Comparison of febantel tablets and Vercom paste against gastrointestinal nematodes of dogs. Vet Parasitol 1992, 41, 151-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4017(92)90018-5
- Hopkins TJ. Efficacy of a tablet containing pyrantel embonate, febantel and praziquantel against T canis in dogs. Vet Rec 1991, 128, 331. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.128.14.331
- Jacobs DE. Control of Toxocara canis in puppies: a comparison of screening techniques and evaluation of a dosing programme. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 1987, 10, 23-29. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2885.1987.tb00072.x
- Klein JB, Bradley RE Sr, Conway DP. Anthelmintic efficacy of pyrantel pamoate against the roundworm, Toxocara canis, and the hookworm, ancylostoma caninum, in dogs. Vet Med Small Anim Clin 1978, 73, 1011-1013.
- Lloyd S, Gemmell MA. Efficacy of a drug combination of praziquantel, pyrantel embonate, and febantel against helminth infections in dogs. Am J Vet Res 1992, 53, 2272-2273.
- Mackenstedt U, Schmidt S, Mehlhorn H, Stoye M, Traeder W. Effects of pyrantel pamoate on adult and preadult Toxocara canis worms: an electron microscope and autoradiography study. Parasitol Res 1993, 79, 567-578. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00932241
- McTier TL, Siedek EM, Clemence RG, Wren JA, Bowman DD, Hellmann K, Holbert MS, Murphy MG, Young DR, Cruthers LR, Smith DG, Shanks DJ, Rowan TG, Jernigan AD. Efficacy of selamectin against experimentally induced and naturally acquired ascarid (Toxocara canis and Toxascaris leonina) infections in dogs. Vet Parasitol 2000, 91, 333-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4017(00)00303-4
- Miro G, Mateo M, Montoya A, Vela E, Calonge R. Survey of intestinal parasites in stray dogs in the Madrid area and comparison of the efficacy of three anthelmintics in naturally infected dogs. Parasitol Res 2007, 100, 317-320. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-006-0258-0
- Prelezov PN, Bauer C. Comparative efficacy of flubendazole chewable tablets and a tablet combination of febantel, pyrantel embonate and praziquantel against Trichuris vulpis in experimentally infected dogs. Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 2003, 110, 419-421.
- Reinemeyer CR, Faulkner CT, Assadi-Rad AM, Burr JH, Patton S. Comparison of the efficacies of three heartworm preventives against experimentally induced infections with Ancylostoma caninum and Toxocara canis in pups. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1995, 206, 1710-1715.
- Sharp ML, McCurdy HD. Anthelmintic efficacy of febantel combined with praziquantel in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1985, 187, 254-255.
- Youn HJ, Hong KO, Lee BC and Oh HG. Prevalence of intestinal parasites in dogs and its control in Korea. Korean J Vet Public Health 1995, 19, 257-261.