- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Genetic characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from humans and animals within the community
지역사회 내 일반인 및 동물에서 methicillin 내성 Staphylococcus aureus의 유전학적 특성
- Cho, Jae-Keun (Metropolitan Health & Enviornmental Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jin-Hyun (Gangwondo Veterinary Service Laboratory) ;
- Sung, Myung-Suk (Gyeongbuk Veterinary Service Laboratory) ;
- Kim, Ki-Seuk (College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2011.09.09
- Accepted : 2011.11.09
- Published : 2011.12.30
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus (S.) aureus (MRSA) is one of the most important nosocomial pathogens worldwide and the emergence of this strain has become a major clinical problem. In this study, we investigated the prevalence of MRSA and their genetic characteristics in 69 S. aureus isolated from humans and animals. In human isolates, higher antimicrobial resistance rates were observed against penicillin (80.6%), followed by erythromycin (11.9%) and tetracycline (9.0%). All of them were susceptible to clindamycin, enrofloxacin, novobiocin, pirlimycin, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole and vancomycin. The resistance patterns in animal isolates were similar to those of human isolates. Two (2.9%) MRSA strains were isolated from human (n = 1) and animal (n = 1), and these isolates were confirmed as carrying the mecA gene. One isolate originating from human was resistant to 7 drugs and the other isolate derived from animal was resistant to 11 drugs. Staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec) variant IIIB was identified in animal isolate but SCCmec type of an isolate from human was not exactly determined. Two MRSA isolates showed unrelated PFGE pattern between them. Our results indicated although the frequency of MRSA isolates from humans and animals was low, a continuous surveillance and monitoring should be called for to prevent the contamination and spread of MRSA in the community. To our knowledge, this is the first time that SCCmec type variant IIIB was detected from animals in Korea.
Supported by : 경북대학교
- Bae IG, Kim JS, Kim S, Heo ST, Chang C, Lee EY. Genetic correlation of community-associated methicillinresistant Staphylococcus aureus strains from carriers and from patients with clinical infection in one region of Korea. J Korean Med Sci 2010, 25, 197-202. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.2.197
- Berg JN, Wendell DE, Vogelweid C, Fales WH. Identification of the major coagulase-positive Staphylococcus sp of dogs as Staphylococcus intermedius. Am J Vet Res 1984, 45, 1307-1309.
- Boyle-Vavra S, Ereshefsky B, Wang CC, Daum RS. Successful multiresistant community-associated methicillinresistant Staphylococcus aureus lineage from Taipei, Taiwan, that carries either the novel staphylococcal chromosome cassette mec (SCCmec) type VT or SCCmec type IV. J Clin Microbiol 2005, 43, 4719-4730. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.43.9.4719-4730.2005
- Byun JH, Kim TJ. Antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus and S. intermedius isolated from dogs. Korean J Vet Res 2007, 47, 43-50.
- Cha EK, Chang KS, Hwang SM. Correlation between staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec type and coagulase serotype of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Bacteriol Virol 2009, 39, 71-78. https://doi.org/10.4167/jbv.2009.39.2.71
- Chambers HF. Methicillin resistance in staphylococci: molecular and biochemical basis and clinical implications. Clin Microbiol Rev 1997, 10, 781-791.
- Chambers HF. The changing epidemiology of Staphylococcus aureus? Emerg Infect Dis 2001, 7, 178-182. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid0702.010204
- Chongtrakool P, Ito T, Ma XX, Kondo Y, Trakulsomboon S, Tiensasitorn C, Jamklang M, Chavalit T, Song JH, Hiramatsu K. Staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec) typing of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated in 11 Asian countries: a proposal for a new nomenclature for SCCmec elements. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2006, 50, 1001-1012. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.50.3.1001-1012.2006
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). Performance standards for antimicrobial disk susceptibility tests. 9th infomational supplement: approved standard M2-A9. CLSI, Wayne, 2006.
- Eady EA, Cove JH. Staphylococcal resistance revisited: community-acquired methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus--an emerging problem for the management of skin and soft tissue infections. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2003, 16, 103-124. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001432-200304000-00007
- Hoekstra KA, Paulton RJL. Clinical prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus and Staph. intermedius in dogs. J Appl Microbiol 2002, 93, 406-413. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2002.01708.x
- Ito T, Ma XX, Takeuchi F, Okuma K, Yuzawa H, Hiramatsu K. Novel type V staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec driven by a novel cassette chromosome recombinase, ccrC. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2004, 48, 2637-2651. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.48.7.2637-2651.2004
- Jeong HY, Jang SJ, Choi BK, Kim YL, Min CS, Baek KM, Lee KH, Lee SY, Lee JE, Lee MS, Lee KW. Monitoring on the bacterial resistance to antibiotics in community (IV). Report on national antimicrobial resistance management program. pp. 63-71, Korea Food and Drug Administration, Cheongwon, 2003.
- Jevons MP. "Celbenin"-resistant Staphylococci. Br Med J 1961, 1, 124-125.
- Kilic A, Li H, Stratton CW, Tang YW. Antimicrobial susceptibility patterns and staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec types of, as well as Panton-Valentine leukocidin occurrence among, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from children and adults in middle Tennessee. J Clin Microbiol 2006, 44, 4436-4440. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.01546-06
- Kim ES, Song JS, Lee HJ, Choe PG, Park KH, Cho JH, Park WB, Kim SH, Bang JH, Kim DM, Park KU, Shin S, Lee MS, Choi HJ, Kim NJ, Kim EC, Oh MD, Kim HB, Choe KW. A survey of communityassociated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Korea. J Antimicrob Chemother 2007, 60, 1108-1114. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkm309
- Kim HB, Shin DH, Park KU, Oh MD, Kim EC, Choe KW. The methicillin-resistance rate of Staphylococcus aureus isolatd from anterior nares of healthy adults in the community. Infect Chemother 1998, 30, 527-531.
- Kim JS, Kim HS, Song WK, Cho HC, Lee KM, Kim EC. Antimicrobial resistance profiles of Staphylococcus aureus isolated in 13 Korean hospitals. Korean J Lab Med 2004, 24, 223-229.
- Kim NH, Chae HS, Son HR, Kim CK, Kim SH, Lee JH, Kim CH. Antimicrobial susceptibility and detection of enterotoxin by multiplex PCR of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from dogs and cats in Seoul. Korean J Vet Serv 2010, 33, 263-269.
- Kluytmans J, van Belkum A, Verbrugh H. Nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus: epidemiology, underlying mechanisms, and associated risks. Clin Microbiol Rev 1997, 10, 505-520.
- Ko KS, Lee JY, Suh JY, Oh WS, Peck KR, Lee NY, Song JH. Distribution of major genotypes among methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clones in Asian countries. J Clin Microbiol 2005, 43, 421-426. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.43.1.421-426.2005
- Kwon NH, Park KT, Jung WK, Youn HY, Lee Y, Kim SH, Bae W, Lim JY, Kim JY, Kim JM, Hong SK, Park YH. Characteristics of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolated from chicken meat and hospitalized dogs in Korea and their epidemiological relatedness. Vet Microbiol 2006, 117, 304-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2006.05.006
- Kwon YI, Kim TW, Kim HY, Chang YH, Kwak HS, Woo GJ, Chung YH. Monitoring of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus from medical environment in Korea. Korean J Microbiol Biotechnol 2007, 135, 158-162.
- Lee HW, Yoon JH, Sohn JH, Lee KH, Yeh BI, Park DW, Kim HW, Choi JW. Detection of mecA gene in clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus by multiplex-PCR and antimicrobial susceptibility of MRSA. J Microbiol Biotechnol 2003, 13, 354-359.
- Lee JH. Methicillin (Oxacillin)-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from major food animals and their potential transmission to humans. Appl Environ Microbiol 2003, 69, 6489-6494. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.69.11.6489-6494.2003
- Lim SK, Nam HM, Park HJ, Lee HS, Choi MJ, Jung SC, Lee JY, Kim YC, Song SW, Wee SH. Prevalence and characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in raw meat in Korea. J Microbiol Biotechnol 2010, 20, 775-778.
- Lin Y, Barker E, Kislow J, Kaldhone P, Stemper ME, Pantrangi M, Moore FM, Hall M, Fritsche TR, Novicki T, Foley SL, Shukla SK. Evidence of multiple virulence subtypes in nosocomial and communityassociated MRSA genotypes in companion animals from the upper midwestern and northeastern United States. Clin Med Res 2011, 9, 7-16. https://doi.org/10.3121/cmr.2010.944
- Loeffler A, Lloyd DH. Companion animals: a reservoir for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the community? Epidemiol Infect 2010, 138, 595-605. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0950268809991476
- Mason WJ, Blevins JS, Beenken K, Wibowo N, Ojha N, Smeltzer MS. Multiplex PCR protocol for the diagnosis of staphylococcal infection. J Clin Microbiol 2001, 39, 3332-3338. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.39.9.3332-3338.2001
- McDougal LK, Steward CD, Killgore GE, Chaitram JM, McAllister SK, Tenover FC. Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis typing of oxacillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from the United States: establishing a national database. J Clin Microbiol 2003, 41, 5113-5120. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.41.11.5113-5120.2003
- Moon JS, Lee AR, Kang HM, Lee ES, Joo YS, Park YH, Kim MN, Koo HC. Antibiogram and coagulase diversity in staphylococcal enterotoxin-producing Staphylococcus aureus from bovine mastitis. J Dairy Sci 2007, 90, 1716-1724. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-512
- Murakami K, Minamide W, Wada K, Nakamura E, Teraoka H, Watanabe S. Identification of methicillinresistant strains of staphylococci by polymerase chain reaction. J Clin Microbiol 1991, 29, 2240-2244.
- Murchan S, Kaufmann ME, Deplano A, de Ryck R, Struelens M, Zinn CE, Fussing V, Salmenlinna S, Vuopio-Varkila J, El Solh N, Cuny C, Witte W, Tassios PT, Legakis N, van Leeuwen W, van Belkum A, Vindel A, Laconcha I, Garaizar J, Haeggman S, Olsson-Liljequist B, Ransjo U, Coombes G, Cookson B. Harmonization of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols for epidemiological typing of strains of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a single approach developed by consensus in 10 European laboratories and its application for tracing the spread of related strains. J Clin Microbiol 2003, 41, 1574-1585. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.41.4.1574-1585.2003
- Nam HM, Lee AL, Jung SC, Kim MN, Jang GC, Wee SH, Lim SK. Antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus and characterization of methicillinresistant Staphylococcus aureus isolated from bovine mastitis in Korea. Foodborne Pathog Dis 2011, 8, 231-238. https://doi.org/10.1089/fpd.2010.0661
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically; Approved standard-sixth edition. NCCLS document M7-A6. National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, Villanova, 2003.
- Normand EH, Gibson NR, Reid SWJ, Carmichael S, Taylor DJ. Antimicrobial-resistance trends in bacterial isolates from companion-animal community practice in the UK. Prev Vet Med 2000, 46, 267-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-5877(00)00149-5
- Oliveira DC, de Lencastre H. Multiplex PCR strategy for rapid identification of structural types and variants of the mec element in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2002, 46, 2155-2161. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.46.7.2155-2161.2002
- Park CK, Choi SM, Lee YJ, Kim KS, Yeo SG. Species distribution and antimicrobial susceptibility of staphylococci isolated from canine clinical specimens. Korean J Vet Res 2004, 44, 407-413.
- Pak SI. Study on the Methicillin-resistant Gene Distribution of Staphylococci Isolated from Dogs and Cats. J Vet Clin 2003, 20, 302-307.
- Pak SI, Han HR, Shimizu A. Characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolated from dogs in Korea. J Vet Med Sci 1999, 61, 1013-1018. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.61.1013
- Timoney JF, Gillespie JH, Scott FW, Barlough JE. Hagan and Bruner's Microbiology and Infectious Disease of Domestic Animals. 8th ed. pp. 171-196, Comstock Publishing Associates, Ithaca, 1988.
- Walther B, Wieler LH, Friedrich AW, Hanssen AM, Kohn B, Brunnberg L, Lubke-Becker A. Methicillinresistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) isolated from small and exotic animals at a university hospital during routine microbiological examinations. Vet Microbiol 2008, 127, 171-178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2007.07.018
- Wielders CLC, Fluit AC, Brisse S, Verhoef J, Schmitz FJ. mecA gene is widely disseminated in Staphylococcus aureus population. J Clin Microbiol 2002, 40, 3970-3975. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.40.11.3970-3975.2002