- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Pharmacokinetics of amikacin in plasma of healthy goats after intravenous injection once daily for three days
- Naseem, Sania (Divisions of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, SKUAST-J) ;
- Sultana, Mudasir (Divisions of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, SKUAST-J) ;
- Raina, Rajinder (Divisions of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, SKUAST-J) ;
- Pankaj, Nrip Kishore (Divisions of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, SKUAST-J) ;
- Verma, Pawan Kumar (Divisions of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, SKUAST-J) ;
- Nasir, Nasir Ahmad (Divisions of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, SKUAST-J) ;
- Ahanger, Azad Ahmad (Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, SKUAST-Kashmir) ;
- Rahman, Shafiqur (Divisions of Veterinary Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, SKUAST-J) ;
- Prawez, Shahid (Divisions of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences and Animal Husbandry, SKUAST-J)
- Received : 2011.11.07
- Accepted : 2011.12.23
- Published : 2011.12.30
Amikacin is a semisynthetic derivative of kanamycin and primarily active against aerobic Gram-negative-pathogens with limited activity against Gram-positive bacteria. Meager study was reported on pharmacokinetic data on multi-days administration of amikacin. Hence, pharmacokinetics study was done in five clinically healthy goats (n = 5), after intravenous bolus injection of amikacin sulfate at the dose rate of 10 mg/kg body weight daily for three consecutive days. The amikacin concentrations in plasma and pharmacokinetics-parameters were analyzed by using microbiological assay technique and noncompartmental open-model, respectively. The mean peak plasma concentrations (Mean
- Abo el-Sooud K. Pharmacokinetics of amikacin in lactating goats. J Vet Med A 1999, 46, 239-246. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0442.1999.00212.x
- Adamson PJ, Wilson WD, Hirsh DC, Baggot JD, Martin LD. Susceptibility of equine bacterial isolates to antimicrobial agents. Am J Vet Res 1985, 46, 447-450.
- Agrawal AK, Singh SD, Jayachandran C. Pharmacokinetics of amikacin in goats after single intramuscular administration. Indian J Pharmacol 2001, 33, 374-377.
- Arret B, Johnson DP, Kirshbaum A. Outline of details for microbiological assay of antibiotics: Second revision. J Pharm Sci 1971, 60, 1689-1694. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.2600601122
- Baggot JD, Ling GV, Chatfield RC. Clinical pharmacokinetics of amikacin in dogs. Am J Vet Res 1985, 46, 1793-1796.
- Bartal C, Danon A, Schlaeffer F, Reisenberg K, Alkan M, Smoliakov R, Sidi A, Almog Y. Pharmacokinetic dosing of aminoglycosides; a controlled trial. Am J Med 2003, 114, 194-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9343(02)01476-6
- Blaser J, Konig C. Once-daily dosing of aminoglycosides. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 1995, 14, 1029-1038. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01590935
- Bloomfield RB, Brooks D, Vulliet R. The pharmacokinetics of a single intramuscular dose of amikacin in red-tailed hawks (Buteo jamaicensis). J Zoo Wildl Med 1997, 28, 55-61.
- Carli S, Montesissa C, Sonzogni O, Madonna M, Said-Faqi A. Comparative pharmacokinetics of amikacin sulphate in calves and sheep. Res Vet Sci 1990, 48, 231-234.
- Contopoulos-Ioannidis DG, Giotis ND, Baliatsa DV, Ioannidis JP. Extended-interval aminoglycoside administration for children: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics 2004, 114, e111-118. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.114.1.e111
- Gibaldi M, Perrier D. Pharmacokinetics. 2nd ed. pp. 409-424, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1982.
- Jernigan AD, Wilson RC, Hatch RC. Pharmacokinetics of amikacin in cats. Am J Vet Res 1988, 49, 355-358.
- Kashuba ADM, Nafziger AN, Drusano GL, Bertino JS Jr. Optimizing aminoglycoside therapy for nosocomial pneumonia caused by gram-negative bacteria. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1999, 43, 623-629.
- McFarland J. Nephelometer: an instrument for estimating the number of bacteria in suspensions used for calculating the opsonic index and for vaccines. J Am Med Assoc 1907, 14, 1176-1178.
- Orsini JA, Soma LR, Rourke JE, Park M. Pharmacokinetics of amikacin in the horse following intravenous and intramuscular administration. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 1985, 8, 194-201. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2885.1985.tb00944.x
- Pien FD, Ho PW. Antimicrobial spectrum, pharmacology, adverse effects, and therapeutic use of amikacin sulfate. Am J Hosp Pharm 1981, 38, 981-989.
- Pinto N, Schumacher J, Taintor J, Degraves F, Duran S, Boothe D. Pharmacokinetics of amikacin in plasma and selected body fluids of healthy horses after a single intravenous dose. Equine Vet J 2011, 43, 112-116.
- Ries K, Levison ME, Kaye D. In vitro evaluation of a new aminoglycoside derivative of kanamycin, BBKA: a comparison with tobramycin and gentamycin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1973, 3, 532-533. https://doi.org/10.1128/AAC.3.4.532
- Rybak MJ, Abate BJ, Kang SL, Ruffing MJ, Lerner SA, Drusano SL. Prospective evaluation of the effect of an aminoglycoside dosing regimen on rates of observed nephrotoxicity and ototoxicity. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1999, 43, 1549-1555.
- Saini SPS, Srivastava AK. The disposition kinetics, urinary excretion and dosage regimen of amikacin in cross-bred bovine calves. Vet Res Commun 1998, 22, 59-65. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1005987212046
Schlegel L, Sissia G, Fremaux A, Geslin P. In-vitro killing activity of combinations of
$\beta$-lactam agents with aminoglycosides against penicillin-resistant pneumococci. J Antimicrob Chemother 1997, 39, 95-98. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/39.1.95
- Shille VM, Brown MP, Gronwall R, Hock H. Amikacin sulfate in the cat: serum, urine and uterine tissue concentrations. Theriogenology 1985, 23, 829-839. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(85)90158-X
- Snedecor GW, Cochran WG. Statistical Methods. 6th ed. Iowa State University Press, Ames, 1967.
- Sumano H, Gutierrez L, Velazquez C, Hayashida S. Pharmacokinetics and renal toxicity of three once-a-day doses of amikacin in cows. Acta Vet Hung 2005, 53, 231-240. https://doi.org/10.1556/AVet.53.2005.2.8
- Uppal RP, Verma SP, Kumar V. Comparative pharmacokinetics of amikacin in buffalo calves following its intramuscular and subcutaneous administration. Indian Vet J 1998, 75, 262-264.
- Wasfi IA, Abdel Hadi AA, Bashir AK, Alhadrami GA, Tanira MOM. Pharmacokinetics of amikacin in the camel. J Vet Pharmacol Ther 1999, 22, 62-64. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2885.1999.00175.x