- Volume 35 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Analytical and Numerical Investigation of Horizontal Force and Stable Position of Work Roll in Backup-Roll-Drive 4-High Cold-Rolling Mill
보강롤 구동 4 단 냉간압연기에서 작업롤의 수평하중 거동분석과 안정위치 결정을 위한 해석적 및 수치적 고찰
- Byon, Sang-Min (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-A Univ.) ;
- Lee, Jae-Hyeon (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-A Univ.) ;
- Park, Heung-Sik (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Dong-A Univ.)
- Received : 2010.12.10
- Accepted : 2011.07.01
- Published : 2011.09.01
The horizontal force acting on a work roll was examined. This force results from the contact force between the work roll and backup roll in a backup-roll-drive 4-high cold-rolling mill. This horizontal force bends the work roll horizontally and therefore exerts reciprocal action on the roll-gap contour. An analytical model for predicting the horizontal force acting on a work roll, which generates a mean value in the steady state, was presented. The material used for the analysis was high-silicon steel (about 3% Si). A three-dimensional finite element (FE) model was also employed to investigate the non-steady-state behavior of the horizontal force. Results showed that the horizontal force varied with the off-center distance between the work roll and backup roll. In addition, the optimal off-center distance was determined to minimize the horizontal force.
Horizontal Force of Work Roll;Backup-Roll-Drive;Cold Rolling;Analytic Model;Finite Element Model
- Bland, D. A. and Ford, H., 1948, "The Calculation of Roll Force and Torque in Cold Strip Rolling With Tension," Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., Vol. 159, pp. 144-153. https://doi.org/10.1243/PIME_PROC_1948_159_015_02
- Li, G. and Kobayashi, S., 1982, "Rigid Plastic Finite Element Analysis of Plane Strain Rolling," Trans. ASME, J. Engng. Ind., Vol. 104, pp. 55-63. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3185797
- Lu, C. and Tieu, A. K., 2007, "Measurement of the Forward Slip in Cold Strip Rolling Using a High Speed Digital Camera," J. Mech. Sci. Tech., Vol. 21, pp. 1528-1533. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03177370
- Hilbert, H. G., Roemmen, H. J. and Boucke, K. E., 1976, "MKW Cold Mill - Rolling Silicon Steel Strip," Iron and Steel Engineer, Sept., pp. 25-31.
- Chung, J. S., Byon, S. M., Kim, H. J. and Hwang, S. M., 2000, "Process Optimal Design in Metal Forming By Double Objective Genetic Algorithm," Trans. NAMRI/SME, Vol. 28, pp. 51-56.
- Espenhahn, M. and Giermann, G., 1988, "Modernization of a Cold Rolling Mill for High-Alloy Si Strips," Metall. Plant Technol., Vol. 11, pp. 70-76.
- Byon, S. M., Kim, S. I. and Lee, Y., 2008, "A Numerical Approach to Determine Flow Stress-Strain Curve of Strip and Friction Coefficient in Actual Cold Rolling Mill," J. Mater. Proc. Technol., Vol.201, pp. 106-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.11.188
- Hitchcock, J., 1935, Roll Neck Bearing, ASME Research Publication, Appendix 1.
- Ginzburg, V.B., 1989, Steel-Rolling Technology - Theory and Practice, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York and Basel.