- Volume 35 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Development of Algorithm for Predicting Fretting Wear
프레팅 마멸 예측을 위한 알고리즘 개발
- Cho, Yong-Joo (School of Mechanical Engineering, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Tae-Wan (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Pukyong Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2010.12.13
- Accepted : 2011.05.06
- Published : 2011.09.01
A numerical algorithm for predicting fretting wear was developed using the boundary element method (BEM). A contact analysis was performed numerically using the relation between the elastic displacement and uniformly distributed loading of a rectangular patch on a semi-infinite solid. Geometrical updating based on nodal wear depths was performed. The wear depths were computed using the Archard's equation for sliding wear. In order to investigate the efficiency of BEM for predicting fretting wear, a problem involving a two-dimensional cylinder on a flat contact was analyzed, comparing it with the simulation model proposed by McColl et al. that was based on the finite element method. The developed method was then applied to the analysis of a spherical contact and it was shown that the developed simulation technique could efficiently predict fretting wear. Moreover, the effect of a step cycle on the solution obtained by the developed method was investigated.
Fretting Wear;Boundary Element Method;Contact Analysis
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Waterhouse, R. B., 1972, Fretting Corrosion, Pergamon, Oxford, pp. 4.
- Tomlinson, G. A., 1927, "The Rusting of Steel Surfaces in Contact," Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Vol. 115, pp. 472-483. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1927.0104
- Waterhouse, R. B., 1982, "Occurrence of Fretting in Practice and Its Simulation in the Laboratory, Materials Evaluation Under Fretting Condtions," ASTM STP Vol. 780, pp. 3-4.
- Ratsimba, C. H. H., McColl, I. R., Williams, I. J., Leen, S. B. and Soh, H. P., 2004, "Measurement, Analysis and Prediction of Fretting Wear Damage in a Representative Aeroengine Spline Coupling," Wear, Vol. 257, pp. 1193-1206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2004.08.003
- Endo, H. and Marui, E., 2002, "Studies on Fretting Wear:Influence of Rubbing Surface Materials and Some Considerations," Wear, Vol. 253, pp. 795-802. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(02)00226-0
- Galin, L. A., Korovchinsky, I. G., 1977, "Axisymmetric Contact Problem of the Theory of Elasticity in the Presence of Wear," J. Appl. Math. Mech., Vol. 41, pp. 826-831. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-8928(77)90164-2
- Galin, L. A., 1976, "Contact Problems of the Theory of Elasticity in the Presence of Wear," J. Appl. Math. Mech., Vol. 40, pp. 981-986.
- Korovchinsky, I. G., Rajeev, P. T. and Farris, T. N., 2001, "Wear in Partial Slip Contact," J. Tribol. Vol. 123, pp. 848-856. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1338476
- Podra, P. and Andersson, S., 1999, "Simulating Sliding Wear with Finite Element Method," Tribol. Int., Vol. 32, pp. 71-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-679X(99)00012-2
- Oqvist, M., 2001, "Numerical Simulation of Mild Wear Using Updated Geometry with Different Step Size Approaches," Wear, Vol. 249, pp. 6-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(00)00548-2
- Johansson, L., 1994, "Numerical Simulation of Contact Pressure Evolution in Fretting," J. Tribol. Vol. 116, pp. 247-254. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2927205
- McColl, I. R., Ding, J. and Leen, S. B., 2004, "Finite Element. Simulation and Experimental Validation of Fretting Wear," Wear, Vol. 256, pp. 1114-1127. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2003.07.001
- Archard, J. F., 1953, "Contact and Rubbing of Flat Surfaces," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 24, pp. 981-988. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1721448