- Volume 35 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Influence of Density Variation on Stress and Displacement Fields at a Propagating Mode-III Crack Tip in Orthotropic Functionally Graded Materials
밀도변화가 직교이방성함수구배재료에서 전파하는 모드 III 균열선단의 응력 및 변위장에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Kwang-Ho (Dept. of Automotive Engineering, Kyungpook Nat'l Univ.)
- 이광호 (경북대학교 자동차공학부)
- Received : 2011.05.16
- Accepted : 2011.07.26
- Published : 2011.09.01
The influences of density variation on stress and displacement fields at a propagating Mode-III crack tip in orthotropic functionally graded materials (OFGMs) are studied. The crack propagates dynamically at a right angle to the gradient of physical properties. Three kinds of elasticity and density gradients are analyzed in this study. They are as follows: (1) the density varies without elasticity variation, (2) the directions of the density and elasticity gradients are opposite to each other, and (3) same. For these cases, the stress and displacement fields at the crack tip are developed and the dynamic stress intensity factors for propagating cracks are also studied. When the crack speed is low, the influence of density variation on the stresses and displacement is low. However, when the crack speed is high, this influence is very high.
Variation of Density and Elasticity;Dynamic Stress Intensity Factors;Orthotropic Functionally Graded Materials;Propagating Crack;Stress and Displacement Fields
- Koizumi, M., 1997, "FGM Activities in Japan," Composites part B, Vol. 28B, pp. 1-4.
- Niino, M., Hirai, T. and Watanabe R., 1987, "Functionally Gradient Materials as Heat-Resistant Use for Space Plane," J. Jpn. Soc. Compos. Mater., Vol. 13, (1) pp. 257-264. https://doi.org/10.6089/jscm.13.257
- Niino, A. and Maeda, S., 1990,"Recent Development Status of Functionally Gradient materials," ISIJ Int., Vol. 30, pp. 699-703. https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.30.699
- Xing, A., Jun, Z., Chuanzhen, H. and Jianhua, Z., 1998, "Development of an Advanced Ceramic Tool Material-Functionally Gradient Cutting Ceramics," Mater. Sci. Eng. (A), Vol. 248, pp.125-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(98)00502-4
- Nomura, T., Moriguchi, H., Tsuda, K., Isobe, K., Ikegaya A. and Moriyama, K., 1999, "Material Design Method for the Functionally Graded Cemented Carbide Tool," Inter. J. Refr. Metals & Hard Materials, Vol. 17, pp. 397-404. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-4368(99)00029-3
- Pompea, W., Worch, H., Epple, M., Friess, W., Gelinsky, M., Greil, P., Hempele, U., Charnweber D. and Schulte, K., 2003, "Functionally Graded Materials for Biomedical Applications," Mat. Sci. Eng. (A), Vol. 362, pp. 40-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(03)00580-X
- Lin, D., Li, Q., Li, W., Zhou, S. and Swain, M. V., 2009, "Design Optimization of Functionally Graded Dental Implant for Bone Remodeling," Composites: Part B, Vol. 40, pp. 668-675. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2009.04.015
- Steinhausen, R., Kouvatov, A., Pientschke, C., Langhammer, H.T., Seifert, W., Beige, H. and Abicht, H., 2004, "AC-Poling of Functionally Graded Piezoelectric Bending Devices," Integrated Ferroelectrics, Vol. 63, pp.15-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/10584580490458360
- Chen, E.S.C., 1999, "Army Focused Research Team on Functionally Graded Armor Composites," Mater. Sci. Eng. (A), Vol. 259, pp.155-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5093(98)00883-1
- Jin, Z. H. and Noda, N., 1994, "Crack-tip singular fields in Nonhomogeneous Materials," J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 61, pp. 738-740. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2901529
- Marur, P.R. and Tippur, H.V., 2000, "Numerical Analysis of Crack-Tip Fields in Functionally Graded Materials with a Crack Normal to the Elastic Gradient," Inter. J. Solids and Struct., Vol. 37, pp. 5353-5370. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(99)00207-3
- Li, Y. D., Lee, K. Y. and Dai, Y., 2008," Dynamic Stress Intensity Factors of Two Collinear Mode-III Cracks Perpendicular to and on the Two Sides of a Bi-FGM Weak-Discontinuous Interface, "Eur. J. Mech. A/Solids, Vol. 27, pp. 808-823. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euromechsol.2007.11.006
- Delale, F. and Erdogan F., 1983, "The Crack Problem for a Nonhomogeneous Plane," J. Appl. Mech., Vol. 50, pp. 609-614. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3167098
- Erdogan F., 1995, "Fracture Mechanics of Functionally Graded Materials," Composites Engineering, Vol. 5, No.7, pp. 753-770. https://doi.org/10.1016/0961-9526(95)00029-M
- Eischen J.W., 1987, "Fracture of Nonhomogeneous Materials," Int. J. Fract., 34(1) pp. 3-22.
- Lee, K. H., 2004, "Characteristics of a Crack Propagating Along the Gradient in Functionally Gradient Materials,"Int. J. Solids and Struct., Vol. 41, pp. 2879-2898. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2004.01.004
- Lee, K. H., 2009, "Analysis of a Propagating Crack in Functionally Graded Materials with Property Variation Angled to Crack Direction," Comput. Mater. Sci., Vol. 45, pp. 941-950. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.commatsci.2008.12.016
- Lee, K. H., 2009, " Analysis of a Transiently Propagating Crack in Functionally Graded Materials under Mode I and II," Int. J. Eng. Sci., Vol. 47, pp. 852-865. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijengsci.2009.05.004
- Zhang, C. H., Sladek, J. and Sladek, V., 2003 "Effects of Material Gradients on Transient Dynamic Mode-III Stress Intensity Factors in a FGM," Int. J. Solids and Struct., Vol. 40, pp. 5251-5270. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7683(03)00243-9
- Feng, W.J., Zhang, Z.G. and Zou, Z.Z., 2003," Impact Failure Prediction of Mode III Crack in Orthotropic Functionally Graded Strip", Theo. Appl. Fract. Mech., Vol. 40, pp. 97-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8442(03)00037-5
- Yao, X.F., Xu, W. and Yeh, H.Y., 2009 "Dynamic Caustic Analysis of a Propagating Mode III Crack in Functionally Graded Material Based on a Higher-order Transient Crack Tip Expansion," J. of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Vol. 25, No. 10, pp. 1079-1089.
- Lee, K. H., 2003, "Analysis of a Mode III Propagating Crack in an Exponential Functionally Gradient Isotropic Material Along Y Direction," Energy and Environment Rese, Vol. 1, pp.35-42.
- Lee, K. H., 2005, "Analysis of a Mode III Crack Propagating Along the Normal to Gradient in Orthotropic Functionally Gradient Materials," Energy and Environment Rese, Vol. 2, pp.31-40.
- Lee, K. H., 2006, "Stress and Displacement Fields of a Propagating Mode III Crack in Orthotropic Functionally Gradient Materials with Property Gradation Along Y direction," J. Kor. of Indust. Appl., Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 37-44.
- Lee, K. H., 2011, "Addenda to Analysis of a Mode III Crack Propagating Along the Normal to Gradient in Orthotropic Functionally Gradient Materials," Energy and Environment Rese, Vol. 8, pp. 25-27.
- Szafran, M., Konopka, K., Bobryk, E. and Kurzydłowski, K. J., 2007, "Ceramic matrix Composites with Gradient Concentration of Metal Particle," J. of the Eur. Cera. Soc., Vol. 27, pp. 651-654. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2006.04.046
- Lee, K. H., Hawong J. S. and Choi, S. H., 1993, "A Study on the Dynamic Stress Intensity Factor of Orthotropic Materials (II) : A Study on the Stress Field, Displacement Field and Energy Release Rate in the Dynamic Mode III under Constant Crack Propagation Velocity," Trans. of the KSME, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 331-341.
- Lee, K. H., 2010, "Stress and Displacement Fields of a propagating Mode III Crack in Orthotropic Piezoelectric Materials," Trans. of the KSME (A), Vol. 34, No. 6, pp. 701-708. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.6.701
- Freund, L. B., 1990, "Dynamic Fracture Mechanics," Cambridge University Press.