- Volume 35 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Modeling and Analysis of Arbitrarily Shaped Three-Dimensional Cracks
임의 형태의 삼차원 균열 모델링 및 해석
- Park, Jai-Hak (Dept. of Safety Engineering, Chungbuk Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Nikishkov, G.P. (The University of Aizu)
- 박재학 (충북대학교 안전공학과) ;
- Received : 2011.04.18
- Accepted : 2011.07.15
- Published : 2011.09.01
The SGBEM-FEM alternating method has been known to be a very effective method for analyzing threedimensional cracks in a finite body. The accurate values of the stress intensity factor can be obtained for a general planar or nonplanar three-dimensional crack. In the existing method, eight-noded quadrilateral boundary elements are used to model a crack. In some cases, three-node triangle boundary elements are more convenient for the modeling of a crack with a general shape. In this study, a crack is modeled with three-noded triangular and seven-noded quadrilateral elements by using the advancing-front mesh generation method. The stress intensity factors are obtained for cracks with several shapes and the accuracy of results is examined.
Three-dimensional Crack;Stress Intensity Factor;Mesh Generation;Symmetric Galerkin Boundary Element Method
- Nikishkov, G.P., Park, J.H. and Atluri, S.N., 2001, "SGBEM-FEM Alternating Method for Analyzing 3D Non-planar Cracks and Their Growth in Structural Components," Comp. Modeling in Engng & Sci., Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 401-422.
- Park, J.H., Kim, M.W. and Nikishkov, G.P., 2010, "SGBEM-FEM Alternating Method for Simulating 3D Through-Thickness Crack Growth," Comp. Modeling in Engng & Sci., Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 269-296.
- Park, J.H. and Nikishkov, G.P., 2010, "Examination and Improvement of Accuracy of Three-Dimensional Elastic Solutions Obtained Using Finite Element Alternating Method," Transactions of the KSME(A), Vol. 34 , pp. 629-635. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.5.629
- Li, S. and Mear, M.E., 1998, "Singularity-reduced Integral Equations for Displacement Discontinuities in Three Dimensional Linear Elastic Media," Int. J. Fracture, Vol. 93, pp. 87-114. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007513307368
- Li, S., Mear, M.E. and Xiao L., 1998, "Symmetric Weak-Form Integral Equation Method for Three- Dimensional Fracture Analysis," Comput. Methods Appl. Mech. Engrg., Vol. 151, pp. 435-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7825(97)00199-0
- Anderson, T.L., 2005, Fracture Mechanics, 3rd ed., CRC Press.
- Frey, P.J. and George, P.L., 2000, Mesh Generation, Hermes Science Publishing, Oxford.
- Murakami, Y., Stress Intensity Factors Handbook, Pergamon, Vol. 2, pp. 808-809.