- Volume 35 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
High Cyclic Fatigue Life and Fracture Behaviors of Shot-Peened Bearing Steel
쇼트피닝 처리를 한 베어링강의 고사이클 피로수명 및 파괴거동
- Yoon, Sang-Jae (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.) ;
- Choi, Nak-Sam (Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hanyang Univ.)
- Received : 2011.04.18
- Accepted : 2011.06.03
- Published : 2011.09.01
Shot-peening effects on the fatigue behavior of bearing steel were investigated under the high cyclic loading. Hourglass shape specimens were made of bearing steel(JIS-SUJ2) for rotary bending fatigue tests. Two kinds of treatments were performed : a heat treatment and a shot-peened surface treatment after the heat treatment. The fracture surfaces of specimens were classified into two types of fracture mode : the surface fracture mode induced by a surface defect and the internal fracture mode induced by a nonmetallic inclusion. Inclusion depth and shape affected considerably the fatigue life. Shot-peening treatment improved much the fatigue life of the bearing steel under low and high levels of cyclic loads. Probabilistic-stress-life (P-S-N) curves were suggested for the reliable fatigue life estimation of the improved bearing steel.
Bearing Steel;Rotary Bending Fatigue Test;Fish-eye Fatigue Fracture;Shot-peening;Probabilistic-Stress-Life Curve
- First International Conference Held as "Fatigue Life in the Gigacycle Regime," 1998 in Paris. The Second : "Fatigue in the very High Cycle Regime," 2001 in Vienna, the Third : "Very High Cycle Fatigue (VHCF- 3)," 2004 in Kyoto
- Murakami, Y., Kodama, S. and Konuma, S., 1989," Quantitative Evaluation of Effects of Non-Metallic Inclusions on Fatigue Strength of High Strength Steels," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 11, Issue 5, pp. 291-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-1123(89)90054-6
- Murakami, Y., 2002, "Metal Fatigue:Effects of Small Defects and Nonmetallic Inclusions," Elsevier Science Ltd. UK.
- Nishijima, S. and Kanazawa, K., 1999, "Stepwise S- N Curve and Fish-Eye Failure in Gigacycle Fatigue ," Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structure,Vol. 22,Issue7, pp.601-607. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-2695.1999.00206.x
- Shiozawa, K., Morii, Y., Nishino, S. and Lu, L., 2010, "Subsurface Crack Initiation and Propagation Mechanism in High-Strength Steel in a very High Cycle Fatigue Regime," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 28, Issue 11, pp.1521-1532.
- Sakai, T., Lian, B., Takeda, M., Shiozawa, L., Oguma, N., Ochi, Y., M Nakajima,. and Nakamura, T., 2010, "Statistical Duplex S-N Characteristics of High Carbon Chromium Bearing Steel in Rotating Bending in very High Cycle Regime," International Journal of Fatigue,Vol. 32, Issue 8-9, pp.765-773.
- Atkinson, H. V. and Shi, G., 2003, "Characterization of Inclusions in Clean Steels : A Review Including the Statistics of Extremes Methods," Progress in Materials Science, Vol. 48, Issue 5, pp.457-520. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0079-6425(02)00014-2
- Furuya, Y., Matsuoka, S., Abe, T. and Yamaguchi, K., 2002, "Gigacycle Fatigue Properties for High- Strength Low-Alloy Steel at 100 Hz, 600 Hz, and 20 kHz," Scripta Materialia, Vol. 46, Issue 2, pp. 157-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6462(01)01213-1
- Tokaji, K., Itoga, H., Nakajima, M. and Ko, H. N., 2003, "Effect of Surface Roughness on Step-Wise S- N Characteristics in High Strength Steel," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 25, Issue 5, pp. 379-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(02)00166-4
- Xenonphon, J.K., 1989, "Shot Peening Viable Method to Extending Component Life" SAE Technical Paper Series 891932, pp. 1-8
- Shiozawa, K. and Lu, L., 2002, "Very High-Cycle Fatigue Behaviour of Shot-Peened High-Carbon- Chromium Bearing Steel," Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structure, Vol. 25, Issue 8-9, pp.813-822. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-2695.2002.00567.x
- Lee, T.S., Jang, J.H., Suh, C.M., Kim, J.H. and Kim, S.C., 2007, "Fatigue Characteristics of Bearing Steel n Giga Cycles" Transactions of the KSME(A), Vol. 31, No. 10, pp. 165-169.
- Cheng, S.-K., Lee, S.-H. and Chung, S.-C., 2001, "Effect of the Peening Intensity by Shot Peening," Transactions of the KSME(A), Vol. 25, No. 10, pp. 1590-1596.
- Kim, H.S. and Lee, S.H., 1998, "The Stress Distribution and Improvement of Fatigue Strength for Notched Materials by Shot Peening," Journal of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 120-126.
- JIS Z 2274, "Method of Rotating Bending Fatigue Testing of Metals."
- ASTM, 1994, "Standard Test Method for Determining The Effective Elastic Parameter for X-ray Diffraction Measurement of Residual Stress.," ASTM E 1426-94, pp.932-935
- KS B ISO 1143, "Metallic Materials - Rotating bar Bending Fatigue Testing."
- Shiozawa, K. and Lu, L., 2002, "Very High-Cycle Fatigue Behaviour of Shot-Peened High-Carbon- Chromium Bearing Steel," Fatigue&Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structure, Vol. 25, Issue 8-9, pp.813-822. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-2695.2002.00567.x
- Li, W., Sakai, T., Li, Q., Lu, L.T. and Wang, P., 2010, "Reliability Evaluation on very High Cycle Fatigue Property of GCr15 Bearing Steel," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 32, Issue 7, pp.1096-1107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2009.12.008
- Ravichandran, K.S., Ritchie, R.O. and Murakami, Y., 1999, "Small Fatigue Cracks : Mechanics, Mechanisms and Applications," Elsevier
- Sakai, T., Sato, Y. and Oguma, N., 2002, "Characteristic S-N Properties of High-Carbon- Chromium-Bearing Steel Under Axial Loading in Long-Life Fatigue," Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, Vol. 25, Issue 8-9, pp. 765-773. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1460-2695.2002.00574.x
- Murakami, Y., Takada, M. and Toriyama, T., 1998, "Super-Long Life Tension-Compression Fatigue Properties of Quenched and Tempered 0.46% Carbon Steel," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 20, Issue 9, pp. 661-667. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(98)00028-0
- Celik, A. and Karadeniz, S., 1995, "Improvement of the Fatigue Strength of AISI 4140 Steel by an Ion Nitriding Process," Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 72, Issue 3, pp. 169-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/0257-8972(94)02348-4
- Jung, D.W. and Choi, N.S., 2010, "Evaluation of Statistical Fatigue Life of Hybrid Composite Joints in Low-Floor Bus," Transactions of the KSME(A), Vol. 34, No. 11, pp. 1705-1714. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2010.34.11.1705
- Park, D.C., 2001, "Electrical Engineering Probability," Intervision, Korea.