- Volume 24 Issue 4
We consider the state price densities that are implicit in financial asset prices. In the pricing of an option, the state price density is proportional to the second derivative of the option pricing function and this relationship together with no arbitrage principle imposes restrictions on the pricing function such as monotonicity and convexity. Since the state price density is a proper density function and most of the shape constraints are caused by this, we propose to estimate the state price density directly by specifying candidate densities in a flexible nonparametric way and applying methods of regularization under extra constraints. The problem is easy to solve and the resulting state price density estimates satisfy all the restrictions required by economic theory.
State price density;European call option;shape constraints;gamma mixture density
- At-Sahalia, Y. and Duarte, J. (2003). Nonparametric option pricing under shape restrictions, Journal of Econometrics, 116, 9-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4076(03)00102-7
- At-Sahalia, Y. and Lo, A. W. (1998). Nonparametric estimation of state-price densities implicit in financial asset prices, Journal of Finance, 53, 499-547. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-1082.215228
- Breeden, D. T. and Litzenberger, R. H. (1978). Prices of state-contingent claims implicit in option prices, Journal of Business, 51, 621-651. https://doi.org/10.1086/296025
- Cox, J. and Ross, S. A. (1976). The valuation of options for alternative stochastic processes, Journal of Financial Economics, 3, 145-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(76)90023-4
- Eilers, P. H. C. and Marx, B. D. (1996). Flexible smoothing with B-splines and penalties, Statistical Science, 11, 89-121.
- Harrison, J. M. and Kreps, D. M. (1979). Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets, Journal of Economic Theory, 20, 381-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-0531(79)90043-7
- Mammen, E., Marron, J. S., Turlach, B. A. and Wand, M. P. (2001). A general projection framework for constrained smoothing, Statistical Science, 16, 232-248. https://doi.org/10.1214/ss/1009213727
- Ruppert, D., Wand, M. P. and Carroll, R. J. (2003). Semiparametric Regression, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Wahba, G. (1990). Spline Models for Observational Data, SIAM, Philadelphia.
- Yatchew, A. and Hardle, W. (2005). Dynamic nonparametric state price density estimation using constrained least-squares and the bootstrap, Journal of Econometrics, 133, 579-599.
- Ye, J. (1998). On measuring and correcting the effects of data mining and model selection, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 93, 120-131. https://doi.org/10.2307/2669609
- Yuan, M. (2009). State price density estimation via nonparametric mixture, The Annals of Applied Statis- tics, 3, 963-984. https://doi.org/10.1214/09-AOAS246