- Volume 11 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Sensory Integration Video Modeling on Self-initiation and Task Performance in Children with Intellectual Disability
감각통합활동 동영상이 지적장애아동의 자발성과 과제 수행율에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2011.03.29
- Accepted : 2011.05.13
- Published : 2011.05.28
The aim of this research was to examine whether the sensory integration video modeling intervention would be beneficial to the children with intellectual disabilitiy. Four children with intellectual disabilitiy participated and the A-B-A design was utilized in this study. In the intervention phase, each individual watched his/her own 8 minutes long previously recorded video which was the independent variable in this study. The dependent variables were (1) the self-initiation and task performance of the four sensory integration activities, (2) performance time of Grooved Pegboard. During the intervention period, each individual participated in the occupational therapy session twice a week. The result showed that sensory integration video modeling increased self-initiation and task performance of the participants. Self-initiation and the task performance scores of the participants were maintained even after the intervention period. When Grooved Pegboard was administered, the performance time decreased. The findings indicated that sensory integration video modeling may be an effective intervention for improving self-initiation and task performance and reducing inattentiveness in children with intellectual disabilitiy. In the future research, it is suggested that the level of cognition and sensory processing capabilities of the participants be considered to validate the effectiveness of sensory integration video modeling.
Intellectual Disability;Self-initiation;Sensory Integration;Task Performance;Video Modeling
- M. L. Batshaw and B. Shapiro, Mental retardation. In M.L.. Batshaw(Ed.), Children with disabilities(5th ed), pp.287-305. Baltimore: Paul H. Brookes, 2002.
- A. J. Ayres, Sensory integration and the child, Los Angeles, CA: Western Psychological Services, 1979.
- J. Case-Smith and T. Bryan, "The effects of occupational therapy with sensory integration emphasis on preschool-age children with autism," Am J Occup Ther, Vol.53, No.5, pp.489-497, 1999. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.53.5.489
- L. J. Miller, J. R. Coll, and S. A. Schoen, "A randomized controlled pilot study of effectiveness of occupational therapy for children with sensory modulation disorder," Am J Occup Ther, Vol.61, No.2, pp.228-238, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.61.2.228
- Y. P. Wuang, C. C. Wang, M. H. Huang, and C. Y. Su, "Prospective study of the effect of sensory integration, neurodevelopmental treatment, and perceptual-motor therapy on the sensorimotor performance in children with mild mental retardation," Am J Occup Ther, Vol.63, No.4, pp.441-452, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.63.4.441
- R. C. Schaaf and K. M. Nightlinger, "Occupational therapy using a sensory integrative approach: A case study of effectiveness," Am J Occup Ther, Vol.61, No.2, pp.239-246, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.61.2.239
- R. C. Schaaf and L. J. Miller, "Occupational therapy using a sensory integrative approach for children with developmental disabilities," Dev Disabil Res Rev, Vol.11, No,2, pp.143-148, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrdd.20067
- S. A. Smith, B. Press, K. P. Koenig, and M. Kinnealey, "Effects of sensory integration intervention on self-stimulating and self-injurious behaviors," Am J Occup Ther, Vol.59, No.4, pp.418-425, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.59.4.418
- A. J. Ayres, Sensory integration and the child(2nd ed.), Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services, 2004.
- S. E. Shea, "Mental retardation in children age 6 to 16", Semin Pediatr Neurol, Vol.13, No.4, pp.262-270, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spen.2006.09.010
- C. A. Thoma, S. R. Baker, and S. J. Saddler, "Self-determination in transition planning: Voices unheard," Education and Training in Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, Vol.34, No.1, pp.16-29, 2001.
- 황인영, 김수연, "교수수정이 지적장애아동의 수업참여도, 문제행동, 학습목표달성도에 미치는 영향", 특수교육학연구, 제40권, 제1호, pp.179-199, 2005.
- C. Y. Su, Y. H. Kin, Y. Y. Wu, and C. C. Chen, "The role of cognition and adaptive behavior in employment of people with mental retardation," Res Dev Disabil, Vol.29, No.1, pp.83-95, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2006.12.001
- 김진경, 동영상 활동 스케줄이 자폐 범주성아동의 자발성 향상에 미치는 효과, 연세대학교 박사학위논문, 2007.
- 이재욱, "발달장애아 인의 일반화를 위한 비디오 모델링에 대한 논의", Communication Disorder, 제24권, 제1호, pp.45-55, 2001.
- 신진숙, 최진성, "동영상 애니메이션을 이용한 자기결정 프로그램의 적용이 중등도 지적장애학생의 자기결정과 자기표현력에 미치는 효과", 지적장애연구, 제10권, 제1호, pp.33-53, 2008.
- R. Humphry, Occupational and development: A contextual perspective. In E.B. Crepeau, E.S. Cohn, & B.A.B. Schell(Eds.), Willard & Spackman's occupational therapy(pp.22-32), Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009.
- K. Ayres and D, Cihak, "Computer and videobased instruction of food-preparation skills: Acquisition, generalization, and maintenance," Intellect Dev Disabil, Vol.48, No.3, pp.195-208, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1352/1944-7558-48.3.195
- R. A. Rehfeldt, D, Dahman, A, Young, H. Cherry, and P. Davis, "Teaching a simple meal preparation skill to adult with moderate and severe mental retardation using video modeling," Behav Interven, Vol.18, pp.209-218, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/bin.139
- C. Conyers, R. G. Miltenberger, B. Peterson, A. Gubin, M. Jurgens, A. Selders, J. Dickinson, and R. Barenz, "An evaluation of in vivo desensitization and video modeling to increase compliance with dental procedures in persons with mental retardation," J Appl Behav Anal, Vol.37, No.2, pp.233-238, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1901/jaba.2004.37-233
- W. Dunn, Sensory Profile: User's manual. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corporation, 1999.
- A. R. Berk and A. G. DeGangi, DeGangi Berk test of sensory integration manual, Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services, 1983.
- W. K. Frankenburg, J. Dodds, P. Archer, B. Bresnick, P. Maschka, and N. Delman, Denver II technical manual. Denver, CO:Denver Developmental Materials, 1996.
- R. M. Ruff and S. B. Parker, "Gender and age-specific changes in motor speed and eye-hand coordination in adults: Normative values for the finger tapping and grooved pegboard tests," Percept Mot Skills, Vol.76, No.3, pp.1219-1230, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.1993.76.3c.1219
- T. R. Goldsmith and L. A. LeBlanc, "Use of technology in interventions for children with autism," J. Early Intensive Behav Interven Issue, Vol.1 No.2, pp.166-178, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0100287