- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Obtaining Object by Using Optimal Threshold for Saliency Map Thresholding
Saliency Map을 이용한 최적 임계값 기반의 객체 추출
- Received : 2011.03.02
- Accepted : 2011.04.15
- Published : 2011.06.28
Salient object attracts more and more attention from researchers due to its important role in many fields of multimedia processing like tracking, segmentation, adaptive compression, and content-base image retrieval. Usually, a saliency map is binarized into black and white map, which is considered as the binary mask of the salient object in the image. Still, the threshold is heuristically chosen or parametrically controlled. This paper suggests using the global optimal threshold to perform saliency map thresholding. This work also considers the usage of multi-level optimal thresholds and the local adaptive thresholds in the experiments. These experimental results show that using global optimal threshold method is better than parametric controlled or local adaptive threshold method.
Saliency Map;Otsu Thresholding;Multi-level Otsu Thresholding
- L. Itti, C. Koch, and E. Niebur, "A Model of Saliency-Based Visual Attention for Rapid Scene Analysis," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.20, No.11 pp.1254-1259, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.730558
- N. Ouerhani, A. Bur, and H. Hugli, "Linear vs. Nonlinear Feature Combination for Saliency Computation: A Comparison with Human Vision," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.4174, pp.314-323, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/11861898_32
- N. Ouerhani and H. Hugli, "MAPS : Multiscale Attention-Based PreSegmentation of Color Images," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.2695, pp.537-549, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-44935-3_37
- Y. Hu, X. Xie, W. Y. Ma, L. T. Chia, and D. Rajan, "Salient Region Detection Using Weighted Feature Maps Based on the Human Visual Attention Model," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.3332, pp.993-1000, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-30542-2_122
- N. Otsu, "A threshold selection method from gray level histograms," IEEE Trans. Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol.9, No.1, pp.62-66, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.1979.4310076
- M. Merler and J. R. Kender, "Semantic Keyword Extraction via Adaptive Text Binarization of Unstructured Unsourced Video," In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2009), Cairo, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2009.5413432
- R. Achanta and S. Susstrunk, "Saliency Detection for Content-aware Image Resizing," In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2009), Cairo, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2009.5413815
- L. Chen, X. Xie, X. Fan, W. Y. Ma, H. J. Zhang, and H. Q. Zhou, "A visual attention mode for adapting images on small displays," ACM Transactions on Multimedia Systems, Vol.9, No.4, pp.353-364, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00530-003-0105-4
- J. Harel, C. Koch, and P. Perona "Graph-Based Visual Saliency," Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, Vol.19, pp.545-552, 2007.
- R. Achanta, S. Hemami, F. Estrada, and S. Susstrunk, "Frequency-tuned salient region detection," In Proceedings of IEEE Conference on, Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2009), Miami, pp.1597-1604, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2009.5206596
- R. Achanta, F. Estrada, P. Wils, and S. Susstrunk "Salient Region Detection and Segmentation," In Proceedings of International Conference on Computer Vision Systems (ICVS 2008), pp.66-75, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-79547-6_7
- X. Hou and L. Zhang, "Saliency Detection: A Spectral Residual Approach," In Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (ICVS 2007), pp.1-8, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2007.383267
- P. S. Liao, T. S. Chen, and P. C. Chung, "A fast algorithm for multilevel thresholding," Journal of Information Science and Engineering, Vol.17, No.5, pp.713-727, 2001.
- T. Liu, J. Sun, N. N. Zheng, X. Tang, and H. Y. Shum, "Learning to Detect A Salient Object," In Proceedings of IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2007), pp.1-8, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2007.383047
- Multi-view Image Generation using Grid-mesh based Image Domain Warping and Occlusion Region Information vol.18, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5909/JBE.2013.18.6.859