- Volume 11 Issue 6
In this paper, we evaluate the effectiveness of previous shading algorithms in depicting shape of 3d objects. We perform a study in which people are shown an image of one of ten 3D objects shaded with one of eight styles and asked to orient a gauge to coincide with the surface normal at many positions on the object's surface. The normal estimates are compared with each other and with ground truth data provided by a registered 3D surface model to analyze accuracy and precision. Our experiments suggest that people interpret certain shape differently depending on shading of 3d object. This paper offers substantial evidence that current computer graphics shading algorithms can effectively depict shape of 3d objects where the algorithms have the properties of lots of tone steps and uniformly distributed tone steps. This type of analysis can guide the future development of new CG shading algorithms in computer graphics for the purpose of shape perception.
Artists' Shading;CG Shading Algorithm;User Perception Experiment;Non Photorealistic Rendering;Toon Shading;Cool-to-Warm Model;Pen & Ink Rendering;Pencil Rendering;BRDF;Phong Shading;Gauge Placement Protocol
Supported by : 한국과학재단
- F. Cole, A. Golovinskiy, A. Limpaecher, H. S. Barros, A. Finkelstein, T. Funkhouser, and S. Rusinkiewicz, "Where Do People Draw Lines?," ACM Transactions on Graphics, Vol.27, No.3, 2008.
- F. Cole, K. Sanik, D. Decarlo, A. Finkelstein, T. Funkhouser, S. Rusinkiewicz, and M. Singh, "How Well Do Line Drawing Depict Shape?," ACM Transaction on Graphics, Vol.28, No.3, 2009.
- J. D. Hillberry, "Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil," North Light Books; 1st edition, pp.20-21, 1999.
- E. W. Watson and A. A. Watson, "The Watson Drawing Book," Bell Publishing Co., pp.45-48, 1962.
- J. J. Koenkerink, A. Van Doorn, and A. Kappers, "Surface Perception in Pictures," Perception and Psychophysics, Vol.52, pp.287-296, 1992.
- J. J. Koenderink, A. J. Van Doorn, A. M. Kappers, and J. T. Todd, "Ambiguity and the 'Mental Eye' in Pictorial Relief," Perception, Vol.30, pp.431-448, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1068/p3030
- J. P. O'Shea, M. S. Banks, and M. Agrawala, "The Assumed Light Direction for Perceiving Shape from Shading," ACM Applied Perception in Graphics and Visualization(APGV), pp.135-142, 2008.
- R. W. Fleming, A. Torralba, and E. H. Andlson, "Specular Reflections and the Perception of Shape," Journal of Vision, Vol.4, No.9, pp.798-820, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1167/4.8.798
- J. J. Koenderink, Van Doorn, A. C. Christou, and J. Lappin, "Shape Constancy in Pictorial Relief," Perception, Vol.25, pp.155-164, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1068/p250155
- Murat Kurt, Laszlo Szirmay-Kalos, and Jaroslav Krivanek, "An Anisotropic BRDF Model for Fitting and Monte Carlo Rendering," ACM SIGGRAPH Computer Graphics, Vol.44, No.1, 2010.
- A. El-Mahdy and H. El-Shishiny, "High-quality HDR Rendering Technologies for Emerging Applications," IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol.54, No.6, pp.8:1-8:15, 2010.
- Aaron Hertzmann, "Non-Phonotrealistic Rendering and the Science of Art," NPAR '10 proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Non-photorealistic Animation and Rendering, 2010.
- Micahel Press and Jihad EI-Sana, "Multiresolution Hierarchy for Real-Time Cartoon-Style Rendering," Geometric Modeling and Imaging, pp.63-68, 2006.
- A. Gooch, B. Gooch, P. Shirley, and E. Cohen, "A Non-Photorealistic Lighting Model for Automatic Technical Illustration," Proceedings of the 1998 Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, pp.447-452, 1998.
- H. Lee, S. Kwon, and S. Lee, "Real-Time Pencil Rendering," Proceedings of the 2006 International Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering, pp.37-45, 2006.
- G. Winkenbach and D. H. Salesin, "Computer-Generated Pen-and-Ink Illustration," Proceedings of the 1994 Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, pp.91-100, 1994.
- S. Y. Kim, Ross Maciejewski, Tobias Isenberg, William M. Andrews, Wei Chen Mario Costa Sousa, and David S. Ebert, "Stippling by Example," Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering, pp.41-46, 2009.
- H. Winnemoller, D. Feng, B. Gooch, and S. Suzuki, "Using NPR to Evaluate Perceptual Shape Cues in Dynamic Environments," NPAR '07 Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Non-photorealistic Animation and Rendering, 2007.