- Volume 11 Issue 6
In this paper, the horror game is defined as a game that is aimed at causing fear reactions to user. And this paper analyzed narrative elements for studying what causes fear reactions beyond the existing experimental study. This analysis is significant at the point of determining narrative principles in the horror game. So this paper has extracted horror elements from gothic horror novels that established as the 'horror' genre and has considered how these horror elements would be transformed actually in the horror game. So it analyzes how the space and narrative elements as the distinctive characteristics of game are transformed centrally in the case of the 'Silent hill' series(published by Konami Corporation). Furthermore this study will be expected to be a help for clarifying not only the horror game as a peculiar genre but also the relationship between the space and narrative elements in the game.
Horror Game;Space Analysis;Narrative Element
- 츠베탕 토도로프, 이기우, 덧없는 행복-루소론 및 환상문학 서설, 한국문화사, pp.150-151, 2005.
- 윤장원, "비디오 게임의 유희적 공포에 대한 플레이어의 반응 연구", 한국게임학회 논문지, 제9권, 제2호, No.2, pp.3-12, 2009.
- 에스펜 올셋, 류현주, 사이버텍스트, 글누림, pp.53-54, 2007.
- Fred Botting, Gothic, London: Routledge, pp.2-6, 1996.
- T. Heller, The Delights of Terror: An Aesthetics of the Tale of Teror, Chicago: U of Illinois P, pp.12-20, 1987.
- 리처드 커니, 이지영, 이방인, 신, 괴물, 개마고원. pp.12-15, 2004.
- Stanley Cavell, The claim of Reason, Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp.418-419, 1979.
- Don G. Smith, H.P.Lovecraft in popular culture-The Works and Their Adaptations in Film, TV, Comics, Music and Games, McFarland & Company London, pp.105-106, 2006.
- H. Judith, Skin shows: Gothic horror and the technology of monsters, duke Univ. Press, pp.18-19, 1995.
- K. James, "From beyond: H. P. Lovecraft and the place of horror" Cultural Geographies, Vol.13, No.1, pp.111-112, 2006(1).
- 자넷 머레이, 한용환, 변지연 역, 사이버 서사의 미래: 인터랙티브 스토리텔링, 안그라픽스,. pp.153-158, 2001.