- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Characteristic of Cross-sectional Area of Lumbar Paraspinal Muscle in Patients of Acute and Chronic LBP
20대와 40대의 급성 및 만성요통환자의 척추주위 근육에 관한 횡단면의 비교
- 김대훈 (굿스파인병원 척추관절건강연구소) ;
- 박진규 (굿스파인병원 신경외과) ;
- 박윤진 (카톨릭대학교 서울성모병원 물리치료실) ;
- 정대인 (광주보건대학 물리치료학) ;
- 김성수 (광주보건대학 물리치료학)
- Received : 2011.03.17
- Accepted : 2011.04.11
- Published : 2011.06.28
The purpose of this study was to compare acute and chronic LBP patient in twenties and forties, respectively by size measure paraspinal muscle (cross-sectional area; CSA). CSA of paraspinal muscle (psoas, multifidus, erector muscle) size was measured by free-handling technique of the picture archiving and communication system(PACS) using MRI at the level(lower end-plate of L4) in twenties(9 males, 10 females) and forties(9 males, 8 females) in acute and chronic LBP patient. The results of this study showed no significantly difference between acute and chronic LBP (p>0.05) in twenties patients. However, there was significant difference between acute and chronic LBP (p<0.05) in forties patients. Also, there was significant difference in paraspinal muscle CSA between chronic LBP patients in twenties and chronic LBP patients in forties (p<0.05). This study showed that paraspinal muscle atrophy was observed in forties with various cause, but Not chronic LBP patients in twenties. Accordingly it is required for chronic LBP patients in forties to minimize trunk muscle atrophy through immediate back muscle dynamic exercise and early functional activity.
Muscular Atrophy;Muscle Cross-sectional Area;Paraspinal Muscle;Low Back Pain
- R. G. Cooper, W. St Clair Forbes, and M. I. Jayson. "Radiographic demonstration of paraspinal muscle wasting in patients with chronic low back pain," Br J Rheumatol, Vol.31, No.6, pp.389-394, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/31.6.389
- T. Nicolaisen and K. Jorgensen. "Trunk strength, back muscle endurance and low-back trouble," Scand J Rehabil Med, Vol.17, No.3, pp121-127. 1985.
- M. F. Tracy, K. J. Gibson, E. P. Szypryt, A. Rutherford, and E. N. Corlett, "The geometry of the muscle of the lumbar spine determined by magnetic resonance imaging," Spine, Vol.14, No.2, pp186-193. 1989. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198902000-00007
- L. E. Gibbons, P. Latikka, T. Videman, H. Manninen, and M. C. Battie. "The association of trunk muscle cross-sectional area and magnetic resonance image parameters with isokinetic and psychophysical lifting strength and static back muscle endurance in men," J Spinal Disord, Vol.10, No.5, pp.398-403, 1997.
- G. Hultman, M. Nordin, H. Saraste, and H. Ohlsen. "Body composition, endurance, strength, cross-sectional area, and density of mm erector spinae in men with and without low back pain," J Spinal Disord, Vol.6, No.2, pp.114-123, 1993.
- R. Parkkola, U. Rytokoski, and M. Kormano. "Magnetic resonance imaging of the discs and trunk muscles in patients with chronic low back pain and healthy control subjects," Spine, Vol.18, No.7, pp.830-836, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199306000-00004
- L. A. Danneels, G. G. Vanderstraeten, D. C. Cambier, E. E. Witvrouw, and H. J. De Cuyper "CT imaging of trunk muscles in chronic low back pain patients and healthy control subjects," Eur Spine J, Vol.9, No.4, pp.266-272, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1007/s005860000190
- T. Sihvonen, A. Herno, L. Paljarvi, O. Airaksinen, J. Partanen, and A. Tapaninaho, "Local denervation atrophy of paraspinal muscles in postoperative failed back syndrome," Spine, Vol.18, No.5, pp.575-581. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199304000-00009
- D. F. Kader, D. Wardlaw, and F. W. Smith. "Correlation between the MRI changes in the lumbar multifidus muscle and leg pain," Clin Radiol, Vol.55, No.2, pp.145-149, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1053/crad.1999.0340
- J. E. Peltonen, S. Taimela, M. Erkintalo, J. J. Salminen, A. Oksanen, & U. M. Kujala. "Back extensor and psoas muscle cross-sectional area, prior physical training, and trunk muscle strength-a longitudinal study in adolescent girls," Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol, Vol.77, No.1-2, pp.66-71, 1998.
- J. G. Reid, P. A. Costigan, and W. Comrie W. "Prediction of trunk muscle areas and moment arms by use of anthropometric measures," Spine, Vol.12, No.3, pp.273-275, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198704000-00015
- J. Lexell, C. C. Taylor, and M. Sjostrom. "What is the cause of the ageing atrophy? Total number, size and proportion of different fiber types studied in whole vastus lateralis muscle from 15- to 83-year-old men," J Neurol Sci, Vol.84, No.2-3, pp.275-294, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-510X(88)90132-3
- A. H. Wheeler, "Diagnosis and management of low back pain and sciatica," Am Fam Physician, Vol.52, No.5, pp.1333-1341, 1995.
- J. G. B. Sullivan, F. T. Wetzel, and J. H. Atkinson. "Chronic pain management," The Spine, Vol.3, pp.1946-1947, 1992.
- J. A. Hides, M. J. Stokes, M. Saide, G. A. Jull, and D. H. Cooper, "Evidence of lumbar multifidus muscle wasting ipsilateral to symptoms in patients with acute/subacute low back pain," Spine, Vol.19, No.2, pp.165-172, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199401001-00009
- 배지혜, 나진경과 유지연. "요통 환자의 다열근 위축에 대한 관찰". 대한재활의학협회지, 제25권, 제4호, pp.684-691, 2001.
- P. R. Dupuis, K. Yong-Hing, J. D. Cassidy, and W. H. Kirkaldy-Willis. "Radiologic diagnosis of degenerative lumbar spinal instability," Spine, Vol.10, No.3, pp.262-276, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198504000-00015
- S. Gracovetsky, H. Farfan, and C. Helleur, "The abdominal mechanism," Spine, Vol.10, No.4, pp.317-324, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198505000-00005
- J. A. Hides, C. A. Richardson, and G. A. Jull. "Multifidus muscle recovery is not automatic after resolution of acute, first-episode low back pain," Spine, Vol.21, No.23, pp.2763-2769, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199612010-00011
- T. McNeil, D. Warwick, G. Anderson, and A. Schultz, "Trunk strengths in attempted flexion, extension and lateral bending in healthy subjects and patients with low back disorders," Spine, Vol.5, No.6, pp.529-538, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198011000-00008
- M. M. Panjabi, "The stabilizing system of the spine. Part I: Function, dysfunction, adaptation, and enhancement," J Spinal Disord, Vol.5, No.4, pp.383-389, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002517-199212000-00001
- T. G. Mayer, H. Vanharanta, R. J. Gatchel, V. Mooney, D. Barnes, L. Judge, S. Smith, and A. Terry, "Comparison of CT scan muscle measurements and isokinetic trunk strength in postoperative patients," Spine, Vol.14, No.1, pp.33-36, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198901000-00006
- T. R. Dangaria and O. Naesh. "Changes in cross-sectional area of psoas major muscle in unilateral sciatica caused by disc herniation," Spine, Vol.23, No.8, pp.928-931, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199804150-00016
- L. A. Danneels, P. L. Coorevits, A. M. Colls, G. G. Vanderstraeten, D. C. Cambier, E. E. Witvrouw, and C. H. De, "Differences in electromyographic activity in the multifidus muscle and the iliocostalis lumborum between healthy subjects and patients with sub-acute and chronic low back pain," Eur Spine J, Vol.11, No.1, pp.13-19, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s005860100314
- M. Kamaz, D. Kiresi, H. Oguz, D. Emlik, and F. Levendoglu, "CT measurement of trunk muscle areas in patients with chronic low back pain," Diagn Interv Radiol, Vol.13, No.3, pp.144-148, 2007.
- J. A. Saal, "Dynamic muscular stabilization on the nonspecific treatment of lumbar pain syndrome," Orthop Rev, Vol.19, No.8, pp.691-700, 1990.
- L. Danneels, G. G. Vanderstraeten, D. C. Cambier, E. E. Witvrouw, V. K. Stevens, and H. J. De Cuyper, "A functional subdivision of hip, abdominal, and back muscles during asymmetric lifting," Spine, Vol.26, No.6, pp.E114-121, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200103150-00003
- 박성익, 이원영, 김희상, 이종하, 이규태, 윤지상. "만성 요통을 가진 청년, 중년에서 요근과 척추주위근의 정량적 분석", 대한재활의학회지, 제31권, 제1호, pp.1-6, 2007.
- K. L. Barker, D. R. Shamley, and D. Jackson. "Changes in the cross-sectional area of multifidus and psoas in patients with unilateral back pain: the relationship to pain and disability," Spine, Vol.29, No.22, pp.E515-519, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000144405.11661.eb
- R. Parkkola and M. Komano, "Lumbar disc and back muscle degeneration on MRI: correlation to age and body mass," J Spinal Disord, Vol.5, No.1, pp.86-92, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002517-199203000-00011
- 박형기, "요통을 동반한 환자들에게 척추 주위 근육들의 단면적과 디스크 퇴행과의 연관성", 순천향대학교의대 논문집, 제11권, 제2호, pp.129-140, 2005.
- J. A. Miller, C. Schmatz, and A. B. Schultz. "Lumbar disc degeneration: Correlation with age, sex, and spine level in 600 autopsy specimens," Spine, Vol.13, No.2, pp.173-178, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198802000-00008
- The Comparative Study of Improvement of Patients Who Were Diagnosed with HIVD of L-Spine with Iliopsoas Muscles Tenderness by MST(Motion Style Treatment) on Iliopsoas Muscles: A Randomized, Controlled, Trial vol.31, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14406/acu.2014.012