- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Empirical Analysis on the Effect of Design Pattern of Web Page, Perceived Risk and Media Richness to Customer Satisfaction
콘텐츠 제작방식, 지각된 위험, 미디어 풍부성이 고객만족에 미치는 영향 분석
- Received : 2011.02.07
- Accepted : 2011.06.13
- Published : 2011.06.28
Internet web pages can be classified by three major types such as texts only, images with texts and videos with texts. The purpose of this paper is to analyze how customers recognize and respond perspective of perceived risk and media richness with regard to design patterns of internet web pages. Additionally, we will examine the extent to which aforementioned factors affect customer satisfaction. Analyses with perceived risks revealed that customers feel less personal risks including performance, psychology and time/convenience when used web pages of text-images and text-videos, compared to text only based web pages. However, customers feel that web pages consisting of image-text or video-text have higher points in terms of symbolism and social presence in media richness, compared to text only based web pages. Finally, we showed that personal risk and text-based Web page negatively affect but symbolism and social presence positively impact on customer satisfaction. Therefore, this study suggests a clue that why video-based Web content did not grow different from many people's expectation.
Media Type;Perceived Risk;Media Richness
- R. L. Daft, R. H. Lengel, and L. K. Trevino, "Message Equivocality, Media Selection, and Manager Performance: Implications for Information Systems," MIS Quarterly, Vol.11, No.3, pp.355-366, 1987. https://doi.org/10.2307/248682
- R. L. Daft and R. H. Lengel, "Organizational Information Requirements, Media Richness and Structural Design," Management Science, Vol.32, No.5, pp.554-571, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.32.5.554
- D. F. Cox, Risk Taking and Information Handling in Consumer Behavior, Harvard University Press, 1967.
- J. W. Taylor, "The Role of Risk in Consumer Behavior," Journal of Marketing, Vol.38, No.2, pp.54-60, 1974. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250198
- R. A. Bauer, "Consumer Behavior as Risk Taking," In: R. S. Hancock, Editor, Dynamic Marketing for a Changing World, American Marketing Association, pp.389-398, 1960.
- J. P. Peter and M. J. Ryan, "An Investigation of Perceived Risk at the Brand Level," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.13, No.5, pp.184-188, 1976. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150856
- G. R. Dowling and R. Staelin, "A Model of Perceived Risk and Intended Risk-Handling Activity," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.21, No.1, pp.119-134, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1086/209386
- A. Chaudhuri, "A Study of Emotion and Reason in Products and Services," Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Vol.1, No.3, pp.267-279, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1002/cb.72
- S. M. Cunningham, "The Major Dimensions of Perceived Risk," In: D.F. Cox (ed.), Risk Taking and Information Handling in Consumer Behavior, Harvard University Press, pp.82-108, 1967.
- T. Roselius, "Consumer Rankings of Risk Reduction Methods," Journal of Marketing, Vol.35, No.1, pp.56-61, 1971. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250565
- J. Jacoby and L. B. Kaplan, "The Components of Perceived Risk," roceedings of the Third Annual Conference of the Association of Consumer Research, pp.382-393, 1972.
- W. G. Zikmund and J. E. Scott, "A Multivariate Analysis of Perceived Risk, Self-confidence and Information Sources," Advances in Consumer Research, pp.406-416, 1973.
- J. R. Bettman, "Perceived Risk and Its Components: A Model and Empirical Test," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.10, No.2, pp.184-190, 1973. https://doi.org/10.2307/3149824
- S. L. Jarvenpaa and P. A. Todd, "Consumer Reactions to Electronic Shopping on the World Wide Web," International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol.1, No.2, pp.59-88, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1080/10864415.1996.11518283
- S. M. Forsythe and B. Shi, "Consumer Patronage and Risk Perceptions in Internet Shopping," Journal of Business Research, Vol.56, No.11, pp.867-875, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(01)00273-9
- G. Pires, J. Stanton, and A. Eckford, "Influences on the Perceived Risk of Purchasing Online," Journal of Consumer Behaviour, Vol.4, No.2, pp.118-131, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/cb.163
- M. Tsiros and C. M. Heilman, "The Effect of Expiration Dates and Perceived Risk on Purchasing Behavior in Grocery Store Perishable Categories," Journal of Marketing Vol.69, No.2, pp.114-129, 2005, https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.184.108.40.206762
- T. Verhagen, S. Meents, and Y.-H. Tan, "Perceived Risk and Trust Associated with Purchasing at Electronic Marketplaces," European Journal of Information Systems, Vol.15, No.6, pp.542-555, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.ejis.3000644
- C. Park and J.-K. Jun, "A Cross-Cultural Comparison of Internet Buying Behaviour: Effects of Internet Usage, Perceived Risks, and Innovativeness," International Marketing Review, Vol.20, No.5, pp.534-553, 2003, https://doi.org/10.1108/02651330310498771
- E. Garbarino and M. Strabilevitz, "Gender Differences in the Perceived Risk of Buying Online and the Effects of Receiving a Site Recommendation," Journal of Business Research Vol.57, No.7, pp.768-775, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(02)00363-6
- O. Kunze and L.-W. Mai, "Consumer Adoption of Online Music Services: The Influence of Perceived Risks and Risk-Relief Strategies," International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, Vol.35, No.11, pp.862-877, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/09590550710828209
- R., Zmud, M. Lind, and E. Young, "An Attribute Space for Organizational Communication Channels," Information Systems Research, Vol.1, No.4, pp.440-457, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1.4.440
- E. Brunelle and J. Lapierre, "Examining the Relationship Between Individual Characteristics, Product Characteristics, and Media Richness Fit on Consumer Channel Preference," Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on E-Commerce and Web Technologies, pp.56-67, 2007.
- M. Kishi, "Perceptions and Use of Electronic Media: Testing the Relationship between Organizational Interpretation Differences and Media Richness," Information & Management, Vol.45, No.5, pp.281-287, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2008.02.008
- A. R. Dennis and S. T. Kinney, "Testing Media Richness Theory in the New Media: The Effects of Cues, Feedback, and Task Equivocality," Information Systems Research, Vol.9, No.3, pp.256-75, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.9.3.256
- S. S. Kahai and R. B. Copper, "Exploring the Core Concepts of Media Richness Theory: The Impact of Cue Multiplicity and Feedback Immediacy on Decision Quality," Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.20, No.1, pp.263-299, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2003.11045754
- R. F, Otondo, J. R. Van Scotter, D. G. Allen, and P. Palvia, "The Complexity of Richness: Media, Message, and Communication Outcomes," Information & Management, Vol.45, No.1, pp.21-30, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2007.09.003
- P.-C. Sun and H. K. Cheng, "The Design of Instructional Multimedia in e-Learning: A Media. Richness Theory-based Approach," Journal of Computers and Education, Vol.49, No.3, pp.662-676, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2005.11.016
- N. Saeed, Y. Yang, and S. Sinnappan, "Media Richness and User Acceptance of Second Life," Proceedings of ascilite Melbourne, pp.851-860, 2008.
- Y. Lee, K. A. Kozar, and K. R. Larsen, "Avatar E-Mail versus Traditional E-Mail: Perceptual Difference and Media Selection Difference," Decision Support Systems, Vol.46, No.2, pp.451-467, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2007.11.008
- R. L Oliver, "A Cognitive Model of the Antecedents and Consequences of Satisfaction Decisions Authors," Journal of Marketing Research. Vol.17, No.4, pp.460-469, 1980. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150499
- J. C Anderson and J. A. Narus, "A Model of Distributor Firm and Manufacturer Firm Working Partnerships," Journal of Marketing, Vol.54, No.1, pp.42-58, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252172
- S. Ganesan, "Determinants of Long-Term Orientation in Buyer-Seller Relationships," Journal of Marketing, Vol.58, No.2, pp.1-19, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252265
- E. W. Anderson, C. Fornell, and D. R. Lehmann, "Customer Satisfaction, Market Share, and Profitability: Findings from Sweden," Journal of Marketing, Vol.58, No.3, pp.53-66, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252310
- E. W. Anderson and M. W. Sullivan, "The Antecedents and Consequences of Customer Satisfaction for Firms," Marketing Science, Vol.12, No.2, pp.125-143, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1287/mksc.12.2.125
- V. Liljander and T. Strandvik, "Estimating Zones of Tolerance in Perceived Service Quality and Perceived Service Value," International Journal of Service Industry Management, Vol.4, No.2, pp.6-28, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1108/09564239310037909
- E. W. Anderson, "Customer Satisfaction and Word of Mouth," Journal of Service, Vol.1, No.1, pp.5-17, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1177/109467059800100102
- R. D. Johnson and M. Keil, "Media Richness Theory: Testing E-Mail vs. V-Mail for Conveying Student Feedback," Journal of Informatics Education Research, Vol.4, No.2, pp.15-24, 2002.
- S. Forsythe, T. Petee, and J. O. Kim, Modeling Consumer Behavior in On-line Environments, National Textile Center Annual Report, 2002.
- J. P. Peter and L. X. Tarpey, "A Comparative Analysis of Three Consumer Decision Strategies," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol.2, No.1, pp.29-37, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1086/208613
- J. P. Robinson, P. R. Shaver, and L. S. Wrightsman, Criteria for Scale Selection and Evaluation, in Measures of Personality and Social Psychological Attitude. San Diego, California: Academic Press, 1991.
- J. Hair, R. Anderson, R. Tatham, and W. Black, Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings. MacMlillan, 1998.
- J. C. Nunnally, Psychometric Theory, McGraw-Hill, 1967.
- D. N. Gujarati, Basic Econometrics. McGraw-Hill, 1995.
- D. Kleinbaum, L. Kupper, and K. Muller, Applied Regression Analysis and Other Multivariate Methods, PWS, 1988.