- Volume 11 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of Organizational Politics and Social Network on Knowledge Transfer
지식이전에 영향을 미치는 조직의 정치성향과 사회네트워크
- Received : 2011.06.07
- Accepted : 2011.06.17
- Published : 2011.06.28
This study explains the knowledge transfer process by exploring the significant factors affecting knowledge transfer within an organization from a socio-political perspective. Knowledge transfer occurs in various social contexts, within individuals and groups, and, thus, is closely linked to inter-organizational politics and social network in an organization. By conceptualizing knowledge as a socio-political process, this paper applies organizational politic theory and social network theory to knowledge management area. Here the paper shows that both organizational politics and social network such as in-group and out-group's tie strength have a significant effect on knowledge transfer. In addition, the study empirically verifies that knowledge management system has a moderating effect on the in-group's tie strength and knowledge transfer.
Knowledge Transfer;Organizational Politics;Social Network;Knowledge Management System
- S. Newell, M. Robertson, H. Scarbrough, and J. A. Swan, Managing Knowledge Work, London: Palgrave, MacMillan, 2002.
- A. Drory and T. Romm, The Definition of Organizational Politics: A Review, Human Relations, Vol.43, No.11, pp.1133-1154, 1992.
- W. Tsai, Social Structure of "Coopetition," Within a Multiunit Organization: Coordination, Competition, and Intraorganizational Knowledge Sharing, Organization Science, Vol.13, No.2, pp.179-190, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.184.108.40.2066
- N. R. Quigley, P.E. Tesluk, E. A. Locke, and K. Bartol, Multilevel Investigation of the Motivational Mechanisms Underlying Knowledge haring and Performance, Organization Science, Vol.18, No.1, pp.71-88, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.1060.0223
- W. R. King and W. J. Lekse, Deriving Managerial Benefit from Knowledge Search: A Paradigm Shift?, Information & Management, Vol.43, No.7, pp.874-883, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2006.08.005
- W. M. McLure and S. Faraj, Why Should I Share? Examining Social Capital and Knowledge Contribution in Electronic Networks of Practice, MIS Quarterly, Vol.29, No.1, pp.35-57, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148667
- D. G. Ko, L. J. Kirsch, and W. R. King, Antecedents of Knowledge Transfer from Consultants to Clients in Enterprise System Implementations, MIS Quarterly, Vol.29, No.1, pp.59-85, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148668
- H. Scarbrough, The Management of Expertise, London: Macmillan, Basingstoke, 1996.
- B. Wellman and S. D. Berkowiz, Social Structure: Network Approach, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1988.
- D. L. Rulke and J. Galaskiewicz, Distribution of Knowledge, Group Network Structure, and Group Performance, Management Science, Vol.46, No.5, pp.612-625, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.46.5.612.12052
- G. R. Ferris and K. M. Kacmar, Perceptions of Organizational Politics, Journal of management, Vol.18, No.1, pp.93-116, 1992.
- R. J. Cropanzano, A. Howes, Grandy, and P. Toth, The Relationship of Organizational Politics and Support to Work Behaviors, Attitudes, and Stress, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.18, No.2, pp.159-180, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199703)18:2<159::AID-JOB795>3.0.CO;2-D
- T. E. Deal and A. A. Kennedy, Corporate Culture: The Rites and Rituals of Corporate Life, M.A: Addison-Wesley, 1982.
- W. J. Orlikowski, CASE Tools as Organizational Change: Investing Incremental and Radical Change in Systems Development, MIS Quarterly, Vol.17, No.3, pp.309-340, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/249774
- B. Wellman, Structural Analysis: From Method and Metaphor to Theory and Substance, in Wellman, B. and S.D. Berkowitz (Eds.), Social Structures: A Network Approach (pp.19-61), Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press, 1988.
- R. S. Burt, The Contingent Value of Social Capital, Administrative Science Quarterly, 42, pp.339-365, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393923
- B. Kogut and U. Zander, What Do Firms Do? Coordination, Identity and Learning, Organization Science, Vol.7, No.5, pp.502-518, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.7.5.502
- S. Shane and D. Cable, Network ties, reputation and the financing of new ventures, Management Science, Vol.48, No.3, pp.364-381, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.48.3.364.7731
- C. L. Dhanaraj, A. Marjorie, H. K. Steensma, and L. Tihnyi, Managing Tacit and Explicit Knowledge Transfer in IJVs: The Role of Relational Embeddedness and the Impact onss aformance, Journal of International Business Studies, 35, pp.428-442, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400098
- D. Z. Levin and R. Cross, The Strength of Weak Ties You Can Trust: The Mediating Role of Trust in Effective Knowledge Transfer, Management Science, Vol.50, No.11, pp.1477-1490, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1030.0136
- C. O'Dell and C. J. Grayson, If Only We Knew What We Know: Identification and Transfer of Internal Best Practices, California Management Review, Vol.40,No.3, pp.154-174, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165948
- G. Szulanski, Exploring Internal Stickiness: Impediments to the Transfer of Best Practice within the Firm, Strategic Management Journal, 17, Winter Special Issue, pp.27-43, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/2486989
- W. G. Sumner, Folkway: A Study of the Sociological Importance of Usages, Manners, Customs, Mores, and Morals, New York: Ginn & Co, 1940.
- H. C. Triandis, The Self and Social Behavior in Differing Cultural Contexts, Psychological Review, 96, pp.506-520, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.96.3.506
- M. Granovetter, The Strength of Weak Ties, American Journal of Sociology, 78, pp.1360-1380, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1086/225469
- H. Ajfel, Human Groups and Social Categories: Studies in Social in Social Psychology, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1981.
- A. Aron and E. N. Aron, Love and the Expansion of Self: Understanding Attraction and Satisfaction, New York: Hemisphere, 1986.
- E. J. Lawler, An Affect Theory of Social Exchange, American Journal of Sociology, Vol.107, No.2, pp.321-352, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1086/324071
- E. Vigoda, Organizational Politics, Job Attitudes, and Work Outcomes: Exploration and Implications for the Public Sector, Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol.57, No.3, pp.326-347, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.1999.1742
- M. B. Brewer and R. M. Kramer, "The Psychology of Intergroup Attitudes and Behavior," Annual Review of Psychology, 36, pp.219-243, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.36.020185.001251
- H. M. Oh, Chung, and G. Lavianca, Group Social Capital and Group Effectiveness: The Role of Informal Socializing Ties, Academy of Management Journal, Vol.47, No.6, pp.860-875, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159627
- 강소라, 김효근, 나와 우리를 위한 지식이전 이론: 지식을 이전(Knowledge Transfer)하는 조직 구성원의 심리적 상태에 관한 근거이론적 접근, 경영학연구, 제34권, 제3호, pp.743-785, 2005.
- D. O. Sears, Symbolic Racism in Eliminating Racism: Profiles in Controversy, in Katz, A. and D.A. Taylor (Eds), Eliminating Racism: Profiles in Controversy (pp.123-151), New York: Free Press, 1988.
- G. R. Ferris, D. D. Frink, D. P. Bhawuk, J. Zhou, and D. C. Gilmore, Reaction of Diverse Groups to Politics in the Workplace, Journal of management, Vol.22, No.1, pp.23-44, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639602200102
- A. H. Gold, A. Malhotra, and A. H. Segars, Knowledge Management: An Organizational Capabilities Perspective, Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol.18, No.1, pp.185-214, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/07421222.2001.11045669
- F. J. Riggins and H. Rhee, Developing the Learning Network Using Extranets, International Journal of Electronic Commerce, Vol.4, No.1, pp.65-83, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/10864415.1999.11518357
- P. S. Goodman and E. D. Darr, Computer-Aided Systems & Communities: Mechanisms for Organizational Learning in Distributed Environments, MIS Quarterly, Vol.22, No.4, pp.417-440, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/249550
- J. H. Wu and Y. M. Wang, Measuring KMS Success: A Respecification of the DeLone and McLean's Model, Information & Management, 43, pp.728-739, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2006.05.002
- S. S. Kleine and S. M. Baker, An Integrative Review of Material Possession Attachment, Academy of Marketing Science Review, 1, pp.1-35, 2004.
- 최병구, "지식경영 영향요소, 프로세스, 조직성과: 통합적 실증적 고찰", 한국과학기술원, 박사학위논문, 2002.
- 홍세희, "구조 방정식 모형에 있어서 적합도 선정기준과 그 근거", 한국 심리학회지, 19, pp.161-177, 2000.
- L. T. Hu and P. M. Bentler, Fit indices in covariance structure modeling: Sensitivity to under parameterized model misspecification. Psychological Methods, 3, pp.424-453, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.3.4.424
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error, Journal of Marketing Research, 18, pp.39-50, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- R. A. Ping, FAQ's about latent variable interactions and quadratics in survey data, Retrieved from http://www.wright.edu/ -robert.ping/Faq.doc, 2003a.
- R. A. Ping, Latent Variable Research, Retrieved from http://www.wright.edu/ -robert.ping/, 2003b.
- 이현정, 김효근, 전수자의 심리적 특성이 지식이전에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구 -우리의식, 윤리성, 자기이익 및 감정을 중심으로, 경영학연구, 제37권, 제1호, pp.1-34, 2008.
- E. Wenger, Communities of Practice, Learning, Meaning and Identity. Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- J. S. Brown and P. Duguid, The Social Life of Information. Harvard Business School Press, 2002.
- C. M. Fiol and M. A. Lyles, Organizational Learning, Academy of Management Review, Vol.10, No.4, pp.803-813, 1985.
- The effect of in/out group formation and the tie strength on the knowledge transfer and performance vol.14, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4227