- Volume 20 Issue 8
In order to estimate volume transport by upwelling for single artificial seamount, same shape and size of artificial seamount already deployed was applied to numerical experiment. The result showed that strong upwelling appeared at front while took place downwelling at rear. The strongest upwelling existed at the top of the artificial seamount. Volume transport by upwelling was computed as 785 m3/s. Column arrangement was applied to two artificial seamount in three cases; case 1) no clearance, case 2) sixty-five meters of clearance as half of artificial seamount's length, and case 3) hundred-thirty meters of clearance as an artificial seamount's length. All cases of column arrangements showed more upwelling volume transport than that of single seamount. Particularly, the case of no clearance calculated as 106% and appeared the most upwelling effect comparing to two other cases. Row arrangement was also applied to two artificial seamount in three cases; case 4) no clearance, case 5) forty meters of clearance as an artificial seamount's width, and case 6) eighty meters of clearance as twice of artificial seamount's width. Upwelling volume transport in case 4 increased 48% than the case of single seamount. Other two cases of 5 and 6 were estimated as 97% increased and more effective than case 4. According to the case experiments, column arrangements show more upwelling volume transport than that of row arrangements. In cases of column arrangements, with decreasing clearance between two seamount, the effect increases while showing maximum value at clearance zero. In cases of row arrangements, on the contrary, with decreasing clearance between two seamount, the effect decreases while showing minimum value at clearance zero. Since simple barotropic condition was considered for this study, further study is necessary by considering baroclinic condition to get close to reality. In conclusion, in deploying artificial seamount, optimal arrangement should be well designed to enhance primary and secondary productivity and to increase the diversity of species as well as reducing time and space.
Volume transport;Upwelling;Artificial seamount;Numerical experiment;Downwelling
- 김동선, 황석범, 김성현, 배상완, Apitha Kheawwongjan, 2008, 인공 용승 해역의 해양 환경 변화에 관한 연구, 해양환경안전학회, 춘계학술대회 발표 요약집, 147-151.
- 국토해양부, 2008, 인공용승류를 이용한 어장환경개선 연구.
- 국토해양부, 2009, 인공용승류를 이용한 어장환경개선 연구(VI).
- 박이동, 1989, 유체역학, 보성문화사, 555.
- 박성은, 조규대, 김동선, 이충일, 황재동, 윤종휘, 2003, 성층화된 수로에서 3차원 Hilldp 의한 유속장 변동, 해양환경안전학회지, 9(2), 73-77.
- 해양수산부, 2002, 인공용승류를 이용한 어장환경조성 연구.
- 해양수산부, 2005a, 인공용승류를 이용한 어장환경개선 연구.
- 해양수산부, 2005b, 인공용승류를 이용한 어장환경개선 연구.
- 해양수산부, 2006, 인공용승류를 이용한 어장환경개선 연구.
- 해양수산부, 2007, 인공용승류를 이용한 어장환경개선 연구.
- 今村 均, 友田啓二郞, 鈴木達雄, 絀理成一, 1995, 人工湧昇流発生漁場造成の硏究, 沿岸工学論文集, 42, 1131-1135.
- Beckmann, A., 1999, Dynamical processes at isolated seamounts, Habilitation thesis, Carl-von-Ossietzky University Oldenburg.
- Beckmann, A., Haidvogel, D. B., 1997, A simulation of flow at Fieberling Guyot, J. Geophys. Res., 102, 5595-5613. https://doi.org/10.1029/96JC03414
- Beer, T., 1997, Environmental Oceanography second edition, CRC Press, 367.
- Blumberg, A. F., Mellor, G. L., 1987, A description of a three-dimensional coastal ocean circulation model. In : Three dimensional Coastal Models (N. S. heaps, ed.), American Geophysical Union, Washington, D.C., 1-16.
- Booth, D. A., 1988, Eddies in Rockall Trough, Oceanol. Acta, 11, 213-219.
- Castro, A. T., Velasco, G. G. D, Levinson, A. V., Armas, R. G., Muhlia, A., Coiso, M. A. , 2003, Hydrographic observations of the flow in the vicinity of a shallow seamount top in the Gulf of California. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science, 57, 149-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7714(02)00338-4
- Chapman, D. C., Haidvogel, D. B., 1992, Formation of Taylor caps over a tall isolated seamount in a stratified ocean, Geophys. Astrophys. Fluid Dyn., 64, 31-65. https://doi.org/10.1080/03091929208228084
- Codispoti, L. A., Friederich G. E., 1978, Local and mesoscale influences on nutrient variability in the northwest African upwelling region near Cabo Corberiro. Deep-Sea Research, 25, 751-770. https://doi.org/10.1016/0146-6291(78)90022-X
- Cummins, P. F., 2000, Stratified flow over topography: time-dependent comparisons between model solutions and observations. Dynamics of Atmospheres and Ocean, 33, 43-72 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-0265(00)00044-0
- Dietrich, G. (ed), 1972, Upwelling in the ocean and its consequences-Geoforum Oxford-11, Elsevier Science, Pergamon-Frankfurt.
- Ekman, V., 1905, On the influence of the earth's rotation on ocean currents. Arkiv for Matematik, Astronomi och Fysik, 2(II), 1-52.
- FAO, 1998, Fishery country profile - Republic of Korea. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), Rome, Italy, Report No. FID/CP/ROK.
- Gjevik, B., Moe, H., 1994, Steady and transient flows around banks located near a shelf edge, Cont. Shelf Res., 14, 1389-1409. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-4343(94)90055-8
- Haidvogel, D. B., Wilkin, J. L., Young, R. E., 1991, A semi-spectral primitive equation ocean circulation model using vertical sigma and orthogonal curvilinear horizontal coordinates, J. Comput. Phys., 94, 151-185. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(91)90141-7
- Huppert, H. E., Bryan, K., 1976, Topographically generated eddies, Deep Sea Res., 23, 655-679.
- McCartney, M., 1975, Inertial Taylor columns on a beta-plane, J. Fluid Mech., 68, 71-95. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112075000699
- Royer, T. C., 1978, Ocean eddies generated by seamounts in the north Pacific, Science, 199, 1063-1064.
- Ryther, J. H., 1969, Photosynthesis and fish production in the sea, The production of organic matter and its conversation to higher forms of life vary throughout the world ocean. Science 166, 72-76. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.166.3901.72
- Smith, R. L., 1980, Ecology and field biology, 3rd ed. Haper & Row, N.Y., 800.
- Trasvina-Castro, A., Gutierrez de Velasco, G., Valle-Levinson, A., Gonzalez-Armas, R., Muhlia, A., Cosio, M.A., 2003, Hydrographic observations of the flow in the vicinity of a shallow seamount top in the Gulf of California. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 57, 149-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7714(02)00338-4
- White, M., Mohn, C., Orren, M., 1998, Nutrient distributions across the Porcupine Bank, ICES J. Mar. Sci., 55, 1082-1094. https://doi.org/10.1006/jmsc.1998.0417
- Yanagi, T., Nakajima, M., 1991, Change of oceanic conditions by the man-made structure for upwelling, Marine Pollution Bulletin, 23, 131-135. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(91)90662-C
Grant : 인공용승류를 이용한 어장환경개선 사업