- Volume 24 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Genetic Parameters for Wool Traits in Angora Rabbit
- Niranjan, S.K. (North Temperate Regional Station, Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Sharma, S.R. (North Temperate Regional Station, Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Gowane, G.R. (Division of Animal Genetics and Breeding, CSWRI)
- Received : 2010.12.20
- Accepted : 2011.04.08
- Published : 2011.10.01
Different genetic parameters for weaning weight and wool traits were estimated using restricted maximum likelihood (REML) in Angora rabbits. Total wool yield of first (I), second (II) and third (III) clips were taken as a separate trait under study. The records from more than 2,700 animals were analysed through fitting six animal models with various combinations of direct and maternal effects. A log likelihood ratio test was used to select the most appropriate model for each trait. Direct heritability estimates for the wool traits were found to be moderate to high across different models. Heritability estimates obtained from the best model were 0.24, 0.22, 0.20 and 0.21 for weaning weight, clip I, II and III; respectively. Maternal effects especially due to permanent environment had higher importance at clip I and found to be declining in subsequent clips. The estimates of repeatability of doe effect on wool traits were 0.44, 0.26 and 0.18 for clip I, II and III; respectively. Weaning weight had moderately high genetic correlations with clip I (0.57) and II (0.45), but very low (0.11) with clip III. Results indicated that genetic improvement for wool yield in Angora rabbit is possible through direct selection. Further, weaning weight could be considered as desirable trait for earliest indirect selection for wool yield in view of its high genetic correlation with wool traits.
- Allain, D., H. de Rochambeau, R. G.Thebault and J. L. Vrillon. 1999. The inheritance of wool quantity and live weight in the French Angora rabbit. Anim. Sci. 68:441-447.
- Allain, D., M. Bonnet, S. Picoulet, R. G. Thebault and H. de Rochambeau. 2004. Genetic and phenotypic responses on wool production and fleece components in two divergent lines selected for total fleece weight in Angora rabbits. In: Proc. 8th World Rabbit Congress, Mexico, 26-31.
- Bhatt, R. S. and S. R. Sharma. 2009. Seasonal production performance of Angora rabbits under sub-temperate Himalayan conditions. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 22:416-420. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80326
- Caro, W., J. C. Magofke, X. Garcia, G. Garcia, S. Carvajal, P. Gecele, D. Jadrijevic and G. Bruna. 1984. Environmental factors affecting fleece production in Angora rabbits. Investigactiones del Departamento de Prodution Animal 3:200-206.
- Garcia, F. X. and J. C. Magofke. 1982. Genetic parameters for the production of fleece and body weight in Angora rabbits. Adv. Prod. Anim. 12:81-90.
- Jaitner, J., E. Zimmermann and L. Dempfle. 1988. Genetic and phenotypic parameters of wool yield in Angora rabbits. In: Proc. 4th W. R. S. A. Congress, Budapest, 239-243.
- Jelinek, P., A. Polach, F. Kukla and P. Kivana. 1980. The relationship of body weight with fibreyield in Angora rabbits. Ada Universatalis Agriculture, Faculta Agronomica Berno 28:205-211.
- Katoch, S., V. K. Smbher, N. K. Manuja, Y. P. Thakur and K. Gupta. 1999. Studies on genetic and phenotypic parameters for wool production traits in Angora rabbits. Ind. J. Anim. Res. 33:126-128.
- Meyer, K. 1992. Variance components due to direct and maternal effects for growth traits of Australian beef cattle. Livest. Prod. Sci. 31:179-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(92)90017-X
- Meyer, K. 2000. DFREML programs to estimate variance components by restricted maximum likelihood using derivative free algorithm-user notes.
- Niranjan, S. K., S. R. Sharma and G. R. Gowane. 2010. Estimates of direct and maternal effects on growth traits in Angora rabbits. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:981-986. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90549
- Qinyu, M. 1992. Studies on method of early selection and early mating in German Angora rabbits. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:322-328.
- Rafat, S. A., D. Allain, R. G. Thebault and H. de Rochambeau. 2007. Divergent selection for fleece yield in French Angora rabbits: Non-genetic effects, genetic parameters and response to selection. Livest. Sci. 106:169-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.08.001
- Rafat, S. A., H. de Rochambeau, R. G. Thebault, I. David, S. Deretz, M. Bonnet, B. Pena-Arnaud and D. Allain. 2008. Divergent selection for total fleece weight in Angora rabbits: Correlated response in wool characteristics. Livest. Sci. 113:8-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.02.012
- Rafat, S. A., R. G. Thebault, M. Bonnet, S. Deretz, M. Bonnet, B. Pena-Arnaud, H. de Rochambeau and D. Allain. 2009. A note on divergent selection for total fleece weight in adult Angora rabbits: Direct response to selecton on total fleece weight at first and second harvest. World Rabbit Sci. 17:39-44.
- Rougeot, J., G. Thebault and D. Allain. 1984. The role of the compound hair follicle in seasonal adaptative pelage changes. Acta Zoologica Fenica 171:19-21.
- Schlink, A. C. and S. M. Liu. 2003. Angora rabbits: A potential new industry for Australia. RIRDC Publication No. 03/014. RIRDC, Australia.
- Singh, U., S. R. Sharma, R. S. Bhatt, D. Kumar and K. S. Risam. 2006. Effect of shearing intervals on the growth and wool parameters of German Angora rabbits. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 76:88-91.
- SPSS. 2005. SPSS for Windows, Brief Guide, Version 14.0, SPSS Inc. Chicago, IL.
- Thebault, R. G., J. L. Vrillon, D. Allain, E. Fahrat, H. Rochambeau and H. de Rochambeau. 1992. Effect of non-gentic factors on quantitative and qualitative features of Angora wool production at French farms. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:1568-1575.
- Wilson, J. A. and D. Reale. 2006. Ontogeny of additive and maternal genetic effects: Lessons from domestic mammals. Am. Nat. 167:24-38.