- Volume 24 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Raw and Physical Processed Common Vetch Seed (Vicia sativa) on Laying Performance, Egg Quality, Metabolic Parameters and Liver Histopatology of Laying Hens
- Kaya, Hatice (Department of Animal Sciences, College of Agriculture, Ataturk University) ;
- Celebi, S. (Department of Animal Sciences, College of Agriculture, Ataturk University) ;
- Macit, M. (Department of Animal Sciences, College of Agriculture, Ataturk University) ;
- Geyikoglu, F. (Department of Biology, Collage of Science, Ataturk University)
- Received : 2011.02.18
- Accepted : 2011.04.27
- Published : 2011.10.01
This experiment was designed to evaluate the effects of the processing method of common vetch seed (CVS) (Vicia sativa) on laying performance, egg quality, metabolic parameters and liver histopatology during the peak production period in hens. Lohman layers, 46 wk of age in 6 replicate cages each containing 4 hens, were allocated randomly to one of four dietary treatments. Diets were control (C) diet containing no common vetch and experimental diets containing 25% raw common vetch (RCV), 25% soaked in water for 72 h with exchange of water every 24 h (SCV) and 25% soaked&boiled at
Common Vetch Seed;Processing Method;Laying Performance;Egg Quality;Metabolic Parameter;Liver Histopatology
- Abdullah, A. Y., M. M. Muwalla, R. I. Qudsieh and H. H. Titi. 2010. Effect of bitter vetch (Vicia ervilia) seeds as a replacement protein source of soybean meal on performance and carcass characteristics of finishing Awassi lambs. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 42:293-300. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-009-9420-x
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis of The Association of Official Analytical Chemist. Vol. I, 15th ed., Arlington, VA.
- Avci, M., M. Iriadam and M. Zerin. 2003. Hindi rasyonlarina katilan adi figin (Vicia sativa L.) performans ilebazi hematolojik ve biyokimyasal parametreler uzerine etkileri. Ankara Univ Vet Fak Derg, 50:141-146. https://doi.org/10.1501/Vetfak_0000002243
- Bair, P. K., U. Baumgartner, S. Hempel, G. Wolff-Vorbeck, E. Von Dobschuetz and U. T. Hopt. 2005. Kupffer cells infilitrate liver tissue early after ischemia -reperfusion and partial hepatectomy. Eur. Surg. Res. 37(5):290-297. https://doi.org/10.1159/000089239
- Bancrapt, S. D. and A. Stevens. 1982. Theory and practice of histological techniques. Churchill Livingstone, (2nd ed.), Edinburgh pp. 150-340.
- Darre, M. J., D. N. Minior, J. G. Tatake and C. Ressler. 1999. Nutritional evaluation of detoxified and raw common vetch seed (Vicia sativa L.) using diets of broilers. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47:352-361.
- Ergun, A., S. Yalcin, I. Colpan, T. Dikicioglu and S. Yildiz. 1987. Utilization of vetch by laying hens. J. Fac. Vet. Med. Univ. Ankara 34:449-466.
- Farran, M. T., M. G. Uwayjan, A. M. A. Miski, F. T. Sleiman, F. A. Adada and V. M. Ashkarian. 1995. Effect of feding raw and treated common vetch seed (Vicia sativa) on the performance and egg quality parameters of laying hens. Poult. Sci. 74:1630-1635. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0741630
- Farran, M. T., G. W. Barbaour, M. G. Uwayjan and V. M. Ashkarian. 2001b. Metabolizable energy values and amino acid availability of vetch (Vicia sativa) and ervil (Vicia ervilia) seeds soaked in water and acetic acid. Poult. Sci. 80:931- 936. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.7.931
- Farran, M. T., P. B. Dakessian, A. H. Darwish, M. G. Uwayjan, H. K. Dbouk, F. T. Sleiman and V. M. Ashkarian. 2001a. Performance of broilers and production and egg quality parameters of laying hens fed 60% raw or treated common vetch (Viciasativa) seeds. Poult. Sci. 80:203-208. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.2.203
- Gatel, F. 1994. Protein quality of legume seeds for nonruminant animals: A literature review. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 45:317-348. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(94)90036-1
- Gul, M., M. A. Yoruk, A. Hayirli, L. Turgut and M. Karaoglu. 2005. Effects of additives on laying performance and egg quality of hens fed a high level of common vetch seed (Vicia sativa) during the peak period. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 14:217-225. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/14.2.217
- Hayirli, A., N. Esenbuga, M. Macit, M. A. Yoruk, A. Yildiz and H. Karaca. 2005. Nutrition practice to alleviate the adverse effects of stress on laying performance, metabolic profile, and egg quality in peak producing hens: II. The probiotic supplementation. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18(11):1752-1760. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1752
- Hinton, D. E. and D. J. Lauren. 1990. Integrative histopathological effects of environmental stressor on fishes. Am. Fish Soc. Symp. 8:51-66.
- Kadam, S. S., R. R. Smithad, M. D. Eyre and D. G. Armstrong. 1987. Effect of heat treatments of antinutritional factors and quality of proteins in winged bean. J. Sci. Food Agric. 39:267-275. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740390310
- Longstaff, M. and J. M. Mcnab. 1991. The inhibitory effects of hull polysaccharides and tannins of field beans (Vicia faba L.) on the digestion of amino acids, starch and lipid and on digestive enzyme activities in young chicks. Br. Poult. Sci. 39(1):97-105.
- Mahmood, S. and R. Smithard. 1993. A comparision of effects of body weight and feed intake on digestion in broiler cockerels with effects of tannins. Br. J. Nutr. 70:701-709. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19930165
- Martinez, J. A., M. T. Macarulla, R. Marcos and J. Larralde. 1992. Nutritional outcome and immunocompetence in mice fed on a diet containing raw field beans (Vicia faba, var.Minor) as the source of protein. Br. J. Nutr. 68(2):493-503. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19920107
- Marzo, F., E. Undaneta and S. Santidrian. 2002. Liver proteolytic activity in tannic acid-fed bırds. Poult. Sci. 81(1):92-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/81.1.92
- Masaaki, T., I. Takafumi, Y. Junji, M. Yasunobu, N. Minoru and A. Yutaka. 2004. Recurrence of hepatocelluler carcinoma 102 months after succesful eradication and removal of membranous obstruction of the inferior vena cava. J. Gastroenterol. 39:681-684.
- Monary, S. 1989. Common methods of heat treatment In: Fullfat Soya Handbook, American Soybean Association, Brussels, Belgium.
- Muduuli, D. S., R. R. Marquardt and W. Guenter. 1981. Effect of dietary vicine on the productive performance of laying chickens. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 61:757-764. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas81-091
- National Research Council. 1994. Nutrient requirements of poultry. 9th Ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Nobuyoshi, O., N. Hisaya, I. Kazuo, N. Saori, I. Yoshinoro, O. Makoto and O. Isao. 2005. Telangiectatic focal nodular hyperplasia of the liver in the perinatal period: Case report. Pediatr. Dev. Pathol. 8:581-586. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10024-005-0037-4
- Onwuka, G. I. 2006. Soaking, boiling and antinutritional factors in pigeon peas (Cajanus cajan) and cowpeas (Vigna unguiculata). J. Food Process. Preserv. 30(5):616-630. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4549.2006.00092.x
- Ortiz, L.T., C. Centeno and J. Tervino. 1993. Tannins in faba bean seeds: effects on the digestion of protein and amino acid in growing chiks. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 41:271-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(93)90002-2
- Ozturk, H., A. Gezici and H. Ozturk. 2005. The effect of celecoxib, a selective COX-2 inhibitor, on liver ischemia/reperfusion-induced oxidative stres in rats. Hepatol. Res. 34(2):76-83.
Ressler, C., J. G. Tatake, E. Kaizer and D. H. Putnam. 1997. Neurotoxins in a vetch food: Stability to cooking and removal of
$\gamma$-glutamyl- $\beta$-cyanoalanine and acute toxicity from common vetch (Vicia sativa L.) legumes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 45:189-194. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9603745
- Rubio, L. A., A. Brenes and M. Castano. 1989. Histological alterations to the pancreas and the intestinal tract produced by raw faba bean (Vicia faba L.minor) diets in growing chicks. Br. Poult. Sci. 30(1):101-114. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668908417129
- Sadeghi, G. H., J. Pourreza, A. Samei and H. Rahmani. 2009. Chemical composition and some anti-nutrient content of raw and processed bitter vetch (Vicia ervilia) seed for use as feeding stuff in poultry diet. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 41:85-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-008-9159-9
- Sadeghi, G. H., A. Samie, J. Pourreza and H. Rahmani. 2004. Canavanine content and toxicity of raw and treated Bitter Vetch (Vicia ervilia) seeds for broiler chicken. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 8:522-529.
- Saki, A. A., G. Pourhesabi, A. Yaghobfar, M. A. Mosavi, M.M. Tabatabai and M. Abbasinezhad. 2008. Effect of different levels of raw and processed vetch seed (Vicia sativa) on broiler performance. J. Biol. Sci. ISSN 1727-3048, 1-4.
- Santidrian, S., E. Reyes, M. Goena, F. Cuevillas and J. Larralde. 1987. Liver and muscle proteolytic activity in male growing rats fed a field bean (Vicia faba L) diet. Enzyme 37(3):150-154.
- Santidrian, S., F. J. Sobrini, J. Bello and J. Larralde. 1981. Guanidinoacetate methyltransferase activity in growing male rats fed on a raw field bean (Vicia faba L.) diet. Enzyme 26(2):103-106.
- Santidrian, S., M. L. Rodrignez and J. Larralde. 1994. Liver and muscle proteolytic activity in field bean (Vicia faba L.) fed birds. Effect of vitamin E. J. Nutr. 124(2):249-258.
- SPSS. 1996. SPSS for Windows Release 10.01, SPSS Inc.
- Tolman, K. G. 1998. hepatotoxicity of non-carcotic analgesies. Am. J. Med. 105:13-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9343(98)00070-9
- Wang, J., T. H. Holmes, R. Cheung, H. B. Greenberg and X. S. He. 2004. Expression of chemokine receptors on intrahepatic and peripheral lymphocytes in chronic hepatitis C infections:its relationship to liver inflammation. Environ. Int. 5:605-609.
- Whitehead, C. C. 1979. Nutritional and metabolic aspects of fatty liver disease in poultry. Tijdschr, Diergeneeskd, 104(14):150-157.
- Wight, P. A. and W. G. Siler. 1975. The histopathology of fatty liver and kidney syndrome in chicks. Res. Vet. Sci. 19(2):173-184.
- Wyckoff, S., P. Vohra, F. H. Kratzer and C. C. Calvert. 1983. Nutritional evaluation of four varieties of colored and one of white beans (Phaseolus vulgaris) for Japanese quail. Poult. Sci. 62:1576-1586. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0621576
- Yalcin, S., A. Sehu and I. Kaya. 1998. The effect of common vetch seed (Vicia sativa L.) added to the quail rations on growth, carcass yield and some blood parameters. Tr. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 22:37-42.
- Yokouchi, Y. 2005. Establishment of a chick embryo model for analyzing liver development and a search for candidate genes. Dev. Growth Differ. 47(6):357-366. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-169X.2005.00812.x
- Changes in tissue free amino acid pools in growing chickens fed thermally treated vetch diets vol.98, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12082
- Common Vetch (Vicia sativa) as a New Starch Source: Its Thermal, Rheological and Structural Properties After Acid Hydrolysis vol.11, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11483-016-9439-2
- Effect of replacing soybean meal (Glycine max) with kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) on egg quality parameter of white Leghorn layers vol.7, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5897/IJLP2016.0287
- L.) as an animal feedstuff: a review vol.101, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12617
- Use of water-treated black tea waste instead of wheat bran in laying hen diets vol.47, pp.0, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/rbz4720170309