- Volume 24 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Supplemental Fermented Agro By-products Diet on the Growth Performances, Blood Characteristics and Carcass Traits in Fattening Pigs
- Chu, Gyo-Moon (Swine Science and Technology Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Yang, Bo-Seok (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Hoi-Yun (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Jong-Hyun (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Ha, Ji-Hee (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Chung-Hui (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Sung-Dae (Swine Science Division, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Song, Young-Min (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2010.12.23
- Accepted : 2011.04.15
- Published : 2011.10.01
Effects of a supplemental fermented agro by-products diet on growth performance, blood characteristics and carcass traits were investigated in fattening pigs. The fermented diet mainly contained 38.0% brewer's grain, 25.0% rice bran and 21.0% byproduct of king oyster mushrooms. The mixed ingredients were fermented at
Agro By-products;Carcass Trait;Fermented Diet;Growth Performance;Pigs
- Agriculture, Rural Development Administration. 2007. Standard tables of feed composition in Korean. National Institute of Animal Science, Suwon, Korea.
- AOAC. 2000. Official method of analysis. 17th Edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Boesen, H. T., T. K. Jensen, A. S. Schmidt, B. B. Jensen, S. M. Jensen and K. Moller. 2004. The influence of diet on Lawsonia intracellularis colonization in pigs upon experimental challenge. Vet. Microbiol. 103:35-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2004.06.008
- Collington, G. K., D. S. Parker, M. Ellis and D. G. Armstrong. 1988. The influence of probiotics or tylosine on growth of pigs and development of the gastro-intestinal tract. Anim. Prod. 46:521.
- Choi, S. H., S. Hwangbo, S. W. Kim, B. D. Sang, Y. K. Kim and I. H. Jo. 2006. Effects of total mixed ration with wet brewer's grain on the performance and nutrient utilization in castrated Korean black goats. J. Kor. Grassl. Sci. 26:199-206. https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2006.26.4.199
- Dapkevicius, M. L. E., I. Batista, M. J. R. Nout, F. M. Rombouts and J. H. Houben. 1998. Lipid and protein changes during the ensilage of blue whiting (Micromesistius poutassou Risso) by acid and biological methods. Food Chem. 63:97-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(97)00156-8
- Davies, D. R., R. J. Merry, A. P. Williams, E. L. Bakewell, D. K. Leemans and J. K. S. Tweed. 1998. Proteolysis during ensilage of forages varying in soluble sugar content. J. Dairy Sci. 81:444-453. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75596-1
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biomet. 11, 1. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Ehle, F. R., J. L. Jeraci, J. B. Robertson and P. Van Soest. 1982. The influence of dietary fiber on digestibility, rate of passage and gastrointestinal fermentation in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 55:1071-1081.
- Edwards, S. A., C. B. Fairbairn and A. L. Capper. 1986. Liquid potato feed for finishing pigs: feeding value, inclusion rate and storage properties. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 15:129-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(86)90020-9
- Gao, L., H. Yang, X. Wang, Z. Huang, M. Ishii, Y. Igarashi and Z. Cui. 2008. Rice straw fermentation using lactic acid bacteria. Biores. Technol. 99:2742-2748. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.07.001
- Hoffpauer, D. W. 2005. New applications for whole rice bran. Cereal Foods World. 50:173-174.
- Hosono, A. and T. Tonooka. 1995. Binding of cholesterol with lactic acid bacterial cells. Milchwissenschaft 50:556-560.
- Jensen, B. B. 1998. The impact of feed additives on the microbial ecology of the gut in young pigs. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 7:45-64.
- Kang, S. N., Y. M. Song, C. W. Kim, T. W. Kim, G. M. Chu, B. S. Yang, S. K. Jin and I. S. Kim. 2010. Effect of feeding high carbohydrate-low fat fermented feed on the meat quality characteristics in finishing pigs. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Res. 30:826-832. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.5.826
- Kelly, D. 1998. Probiotics in young and newborn animals. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 7:15-23.
- Kitawaki, R., Y. Nishimura, N. Takagi, M. Iwasaki, K. Tsuzuki and M. Fukuda. 2009. Effects of Lactobacillus fermented soymilk and soy yogurt on hepatic lipid accumulation in rats fed a cholesterol-free diet. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 7:1484-1488.
- Kim, H. Y., Y. M. Song, S. K. Jin, I. S. Kim, Y. S. Kang and S. D. Lee. 2006a. The effect of change in meat quality parameters on pig longissimus dorsi muscle by the addition of fermented persimmon shell diet. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:286-291.
- Kim, H. Y., Y. M. Song, Y. S. Kang, C. H. Kim, S. D. Lee, R. Chowdappa, J. H. Ha and S. M. Kang. 2006b. The effect of fermented persimmon shell diet supplementation on the growth performance and blood parameters in finishing pigs. Anim. Sci. J. 77:314-319. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2006.00354.x
- Kim, Y. H., H. K. Moon, Y. B. Cheng, H. B. Bang and T. Y. Tack. 1992. The effects of feeding brewer's grain on the performance of growing and fattening pigs. Annu. Rep., Livestock Experiment Station, Korea.
- Kim, Y. H., H. K. Moon, I. B. Jung and T. K. Thak. 1993. The effects of substituted brewer's grain to formula feed in growing-finished pigs. Proc. Kor. Fed. Soc. Anim. Sci. p. 186.
- Kim, Y. I., J. S. Bae, S. H. Jung, M. K. Ahn and S. K. Kwak. 2007. Yield and physicochemical characteristics of spent mushroom (Pleurotus ryngii, Pleurotus osteratus and Ammulina velutipes) substrates according to mushroom species and cultivation types. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Tech. 49:79-88. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.1.079
- Kim, Y. I., J. S. Seok and W. S. Kwak. 2010. Evaluation of microbially ensiled spent mushroom (Pleurotus osteratus) substrates (bed-type cultivation) as a roughage for ruminants. Korean J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 52:117-124. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.2.117
- Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation (KAPE). The Pork Carcass Grading (www.ekpe.or.kr).
- Kwak, W. S., Y. I. Kim, J. S. Seok, Y. K. Oh and S. M. Lee. 2009. Molasses and microbial inoculants improve fermentability and silage quality of cotton waste-based spent mushroom substrate. Bioresour. Technol. 100:1471-1473. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.07.066
- Lee, S. D., H. Y. Kim, H. J. Jung, S. Y. Ji, R. Chowdappa, J. H. Ha, Y. M. Song, J. C. Park, H. K. Moon and I. C. Kim. 2009. The effect of fermented apple diet supplementation on the growth performance and meat quality in finishing pigs. Anim. Sci. J. 80:79-84. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2008.00598.x
- Manzi, P., L. Gambelli, S. Marconi, V. Vivanti and L. Pizzoferrato. 1999. Nutrients in edible mushrooms: an inter-species comparative study. Food Chem. 65:477-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00212-X
- Mikkelsen, L. L. and B. B. Jensen. 1998. Performance and microbial activity in the gastrointestinal tract of piglets fed fermented liquid feed at weaning. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 7:211-215.
- Ndindana, W., K. Dzama, P. N. B. Ndiweni, S. M. Maswaure and M. Chimonyo. 2002. Digestibility of high fibre diets and performance of growing Zimbabwean indigenous mukota pigs and exotic large white pigs fed maize based diets with graded levels of maize cobs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 97:199-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00345-5
- Nisbet, D. J., D. E. Corrier, C. M. Scanlan, A. G. Hollister, R. C. Beier and J. R. Deloach. 1993. Effect of defined continuous-flow derived bacterial culture and dietary lactose on Salmonella colonization in broiler chicks. Avian Disease 37:1017-1025. https://doi.org/10.2307/1591908
- Park, B. K., J. B. Gil, J. B. Kim, B. J. Hong, C. S. Ra and J. S. Shin. 2003. Effects of fermented feedstuff with wet brewer's grain and soybean on fattening performance and carcass grade in Hanwoo steers. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 45:397-408. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.3.397
- Pedersen, A. O., H. Maribo, B. B. Jensen, I. D. Hansen and M. D. Aaslyng. 2002. Fermented grain added to liquid feed to heavy pigs. Danish Bacon and Meat Council, no. 547. Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Prescott, L. M., J. P. Harley and D. A. Klein. 1996. Microbiology. Third Ed. W. C. Brown Pub., Dubuque 935.
- Pollman, D. S. 1986. Additives, flavors, enzymes and probiotics in animal feeds. Proc. 22nd Annual Nutrition Conference. University of Guelph.
- Qureshi, A. A., D. M. Peterson, J. O. Hasler-Repacz and J. Rapacz. 2001. Novel tocotrienols of rice bran suppress cholesterogenesis in hereditary hypercholesterolemic swine. J. Nutr. 131:223-230.
- Robles, A. and R. C. Ewan. 1982. Utilization of energy of rice and rice bran by young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 55:572-577.
- Russell, P. J., T. M. Geary, P. H. Brooks and A. Campbell. 1996. Performance, water use and effluent output of weaner pigs fed ad libitum with either dry pellets or liquid feed and the role of microbial activity in the liquid feed. J. Sci. Food Agric. 72:8-16. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199609)72:1<8::AID-JSFA646>3.0.CO;2-K
- Sasaki, K., T. Nishioka, Y. Ishizuka, M. Saeki, T. Kawashima, M. Irie and M. Mitsumoto. 2007. Comparison of sensory traits and preferences between food co-product fermented liquid (FCFL)-fed and formula-fed pork loin. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:1272-1277. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.1272
- Scholten, R. H. J., C. M. C. Van der Peet-Schwering, M. W. A. Verstegen, L. A. Den Hartog, J. W. Schrama and P. C. Vesseur. 1999. Fermented co-products and fermented compound diets for pigs: a review. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 82:1-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(99)00096-6
- Sharma, H. R., G. S. Chauhan and K. Agrawal. 2004. Physico-chemical characteristics of rice bran processed by dry heating and extrusion cooking. Intern. J. Food Prop. 7:603-614. https://doi.org/10.1081/JFP-200033047
- Song, Y. M., S. D. Lee, R. Chowdappa, H. Y. Kim, S. K. Jin and I. S. Kim. 2007. Effects of fermented oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreats) by-product supplementation on growth performance, blood parameters and meat quality in finishing Berkshire pigs. Anim. 1:301-307. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731107683785
- SAS. 1999. SAS user's guide. Release 8.0 edition. SAS Institude. Inc Cary NC. USA.
- Turley, S. D., B. P. Daggy and J. M. Dietschy. 1991. Cholesterol lowering action of psyllium mucilloid in the hamster: sites and possible mechanisms of action. Metabolism 40:1063-1073. https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(91)90131-F
- Xiao, J. Z., S. Kondo, N. Takahashi, K. Miyaji, K. Oshida, A. Hiramatsu, K. Iwatsuki, S. Kokubo and A. Hosono. 2003. Effects of milk products fermented by Bifidobacterium longum on blood lipids in rats and healthy adult male volunteers. J. Diary Sci. 86:2452-2461. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73839-9
- Xiros, C., M. Moukouli, E. Topakas and P. Christakopoulos. 2009. Factors affecting ferulic acid release from brewer's spent grain by Fusarium oxysporum enzymatic system. Bioresour. Technol. 100:5917-5921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.06.018
- Yang, S. Y., K. S. Ji, Y. H. Baik, W. S. Kwak and T. A. McCaskey. 2006. Lactic acid fermentation of food waste for swine feed. Bioresour. Technol. 97:1858-1864. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2005.08.020
- Effect of Substitution of Fermented King Oyster Mushroom By-Products Diet on Pork Quality during Storage vol.32, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.2.133
- Effects of Dietary Bamboo Charcoal on the Carcass Characteristics and Meat Quality of Fattening Pigs vol.33, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.3.348
- muscle of fattening pigs fed a fermented carrot by-product vol.42, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2013.867859
- Effects of supplementing growing-finishing pig diets with Bacillus spp. probiotic on growth performance and meat-carcass grade qualitytraits vol.45, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-92902016000300002
- The effects of fermented soybean meal on immunophysiological and stress-related parameters in Holstein calves after weaning vol.95, pp.9, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5317
- Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Fermented Rice Bran (FRB) or Fermented Broken Rice (FBR) on Laying Performance, Egg Quality, Blood Parameter, and Cholesterol in Egg Yolk of Hy-Line Brown Laying Hens vol.44, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2017.44.4.235
- Effects of dietary supplementation of wheat starch processing wastewater on growth performance, nutrient digestibility and immune function in sheep vol.29, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09540105.2018.1436522