- Volume 24 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Quantified Analyses of Musk Deer Farming in China: A Tool for Sustainable Musk Production and Ex situ Conservation
- Meng, Xiuxiang (College of Life and Environmental Sciences, Minzu University of China) ;
- Gong, Baocao (College of Life and Environmental Sciences, Minzu University of China) ;
- Ma, Guang (College of Life and Environmental Sciences, Minzu University of China) ;
- Xiang, Leilei (College of Life and Environmental Sciences, Minzu University of China)
- 투고 : 2011.04.21
- 심사 : 2011.06.22
- 발행 : 2011.10.01
Adult male musk deer (Moschus spp.) secrete musk, a widely used ingredient in traditional Asian medicine and the international perfume industry. Musk deer are endangered due to historic over-utilization of musk and habitat loss. Musk deer farming, provides an important way of conserving musk deer and ensuring a sustainable musk supply. For over 50 years musk deer farming has been conducted in China with the endangered Alpine musk deer (Moschus sifanicus) the predominant farmed musk deer species. To date, few studies have examined the musk production of captive musk deer. This study analyzed musk-extraction data collected from 1997 to 2009 at Xinglongshan Musk Deer Farm, Gansu, China. The musk-extraction ratio (MER) of captive male musk deer was 90.30% (n = 732), while the annual average musk extraction (AME) per animal was
- Aryal, A. and A. Subedi. 2011. Conservation and potential Habitat of Himalayan Musk deer Moschus chrysogaster in the protected areas of Nepal. International Journal of Conservation Sciences 2(2):127-141.
- Aryal, A., D. Raubenheimer, S. Subedi and B. Kattel. 2010. Spatial Habitat overlap and Habitat preference of Himalayan Musk deer 'Moschus chrysogaster' in Sagarmatha (Mt. Everest) National Park, Nepal. Current Research Journal of Biological Sciences 2(3):217-225.
- Cheng, J. G., Y. Luo, M. P. Qiao, Y. H. Cai and D. Z. Wang. 2002. The factors affecting musk secretion quantity in Moschus berezovskii. Special Wild Economic Animal and Plant Research 3:15-18(In Chinese with English abstract).
- Debby, Ng and Elizabeth A. Burgess. 2005. Against the grain: trade in musk deer products in Singapore and Malaysia. TRAFFIC Southeast Asia.
- Green, M. J. B. 1986. The distribution, status and conservation of Himalayan musk deer (Muschus chrysogaster). Biol. Conserv. 35:347-375. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3207(86)90094-7
- Green, M. J. B. 1987. Diet composition and quality in Himalayan musk deer based on faecal analysis. J. Wildl. Manage. 51:880-892. https://doi.org/10.2307/3801755
- Green, M. J. B. 1989. Scent-marking in the Himalayan musk deer (Moschus chrysogaster). J. Zool. 1:721-737.
- Harris, R. 1991. For musk deer and other wildlife in southern Qinghai, China. Mt. Res. Dev. 11(4): 353-358. https://doi.org/10.2307/3673718
- Homes, V. 1999. On the scent: Conserving Musk deer - the uses of musk and Europe's role in its Trade. TRAFFIC Europe.
- Huang, B. J., H. L. Sheng and H. F. Xu. 1998. The effect of feed nutrition on musk production and quality of Dwarf musk deer. Zoological Research 19(4):296-00 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Jiang, Y. 1998. The reproduction of the captive alpine musk deer. Chinese Journal of Zoology 21(4):23-25 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Meng, X., Q. Yang, L. Xia, Z. Feng, Y. Jiang and P. Wang. 2003a. The temporal estrous patterns of female alpine musk deer in captivity. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 82:75-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(03)00013-3
- Meng, X., Q. Yang, L. Xia, Z. Feng, Y. Jiang and P. Wang. 2003b. Timing and synchrony of parturition in alpine musk deer. Folia Zool. 52(1):39-50.
- Meng, X., C. Zhou, J. Hu, C. Li, Z. Meng, J. Feng, Y. Zhou and Y. Zhu. 2006a. The musk deer farming in China. Anim. Sci. 82:1-6.
- Meng, X., Q. Yang, Z. Feng, L. Xia, J. Feng and Y. Zhou. 2006b. Behavioral diversity of captive alpine musk deer in Xinglongshan musk deer farm. Acta Zoologica Sinica 52(6):1026-1033 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Mockin, M. H., E. L. Bennett and D. T. LaBruna. 2005. Wildlife farming: A viable alternative to hunting in tropical forests? WCS Working Paper No. 23. Wildlife Conservation Society, New York.
- Parry-Jones, R. and J. Y. Wu. 2001. Musk deer farming as a conservation tool in China. Hong Kong: TRAFFIC, East Asia.
- Qiu, J. 2007. China plans to modernize traditional medicine. Nature 446:590-591. https://doi.org/10.1038/446590a
- Sathyakumar, S., S. N. Prasad and S. Walker. 1993. Status of captive Himalayan Forest musk deer Moschus c. chrysogaster in India. Int. Zoo Yb., 32:32-38.
- Sheng, H. and N. Ohtaishi. 1993. The status of deer in China. In Deer of China: biology and management (Ed. N. Ohtaishi and H. Sheng). pp. 14-29. Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam.
- Sheng, H. L. and Z. X. Liu. 2007. The musk deer in China. Shanghai Scientific and Technical Publishers.
- Shrestha, M. N. 1998. Animal welfare in the musk deer. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 59:245-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(98)00139-7
- Wood, J., D. Knowler and O. Gurung. 2008. Assessing the prospects for community-based wildlife management: the Himalayan musk deer (Moschos chrysogaster) in Nepal. Human Dimensions of Wildlife 13(1):16-30. https://doi.org/10.1080/10871200701812910
- Yan, Y. 1985. A preliminary study on the factors affecting musk deer production in Siberian musk deer. Journal of Chinese Medicinal Materials 2:11-13 (in Chinese with English abstract).
- Yang, Q. S., Z. J. Feng, Z. W. Wang, W. L. Liu, X. C. Li and O. Z. Silang. 1998. Home range of the alpine musk deer in the southeast area of Tibet autonomous region. Acta Theriologica Sinica 18(2):87-94 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Yang, Q. S., X. X. Meng, Z. J. Feng and L. Xia. 2003. Conservation status and causes of decline on musk deer in China. Biol. Conserv. 109:333-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3207(02)00159-3
- Yin, S. Y. and W. G. Dai. 1991a. Experimental study about the physiology effect of Androgen on the second musk secretion of male dwarf musk deer. Acta Theriologica Sinica 11(1):9-12 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Yin, S. Y. and W. G. Dai. 1991b. The relevance of age and musk secretion of male musk deer. Chinese Journal of Zoology 26(6):45-48 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Zheng, S. and N. Pi. 1984. The musk sac, musk, quanyity and hunting of alpine musk deer (Moschus sifanicus). Acta Theriologica Sinica 4(1):35-42 (In Chinese with English abstract).
- Zheng, S. and N. Pi. 1979. Study on ecology of the musk deer (Moschus sifanicus). Acta Zoologica Sinica 25(2):176-186 (in Chinese with English abstract).
- Zhang, B. 1979. The farming of musk deer in China. Agriculture Press, Beijing (in Chinese).
- Zhang, B. 1983. Musk-deer, their capture, domestication and care according to Chinese experience and methods. Unasylva 35:16-24.