- Volume 21 Issue 4
This study determined the effects of the height and the quality of the material of popular heel-up insole on mean plantar foot pressure during walking. Seven healthy college students who are studying at S university in Busan were as participants in this study. After sufficiently explaining about the research to the subjects before the experiment, mean plantar foot pressures were examined using F-Scan Pressure Measure System 5.23 for the gait with shoes inserted insole and the data were compared among the height and the quality of material of insoles. In the result, there was a difference significantly in the mean plantar foot pressure followed the height of insoles both left and right. Especially, mean plantar foot pressure in left indicated significantly lower in 3 cm and 5 cm insoles than in 0 cm and 1 cm insoles. Also mean plantar foot pressure in right showed significantly lower in 3 cm and 5 cm insoles than in 0 cm, and indicated significantly lower in 5 cm insoles than in 1 cm and 3 cm insoles. The mean plantar foot pressure followed the quality of the material of insoles were different significantly. In left, the mean plantar foot pressure of urethane poly-acetyl insole was lower significantly than urethane poly-acetyl inserted air insole, power-gel insole and jelly insole. And the mean plantar foot pressure of urethane poly-acetyl insole was lower significantly than power-gel insole and jelly insole in right. We showed that 3 cm and 5 cm insoles in the height of insoles and Urethane poly-acetyl insole in the quality of material were suitable to reduce a fatigue which is felt in plantar foot during the walking.
Height;Quality of the Material;Heel-up Insole;Mean Plantar Foot Pressure
- Catlin, M., & Dressendorf, R.(1979). Effect of shoe weight on the energy cost of running. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 11, 80.
- Cavanagh, P. R., & Ulbrecht, J. S.(1994). Biomechanical aspects of Foot Problems in Diabetes. In: Boulton A, et al., editors. The foot in diabetes. United Kingdom: Ed. Chichester.
- Cavanagh, P. R., Rodgers, M. M., & Iiboshi, A.(1987). Pressure distribution under symptom-free feet during barefoot standing. Foot & Ankle International, 7, 262-276. https://doi.org/10.1177/107110078700700502
- Chun, J. S., Choi, S. H.(2000). A Study on Purchase and Use of Women's Dress Shoes. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 24(2), 185-191.
- Duckworth, T., Betts, R. P., Franks, C. L., & Burke, J.(1982). The measurement of pressure under the foot. Foot & Ankle International, 3, 130-141. https://doi.org/10.1177/107110078200300303
- Eun, S. D., Yu, Y. J., & Shin, H. S.(2007). The Effects of Gel-type Insole on Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis during Gait. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 17(3), 181-188.
- Hennig, E. M., Staats, A., Rosenbaum, D.(1994). Plantar pressure distribution pattern of young school children in comparison to adults. Foot & Ankle International, 15, 35-40. https://doi.org/10.1177/107110079401500107
- Hughes, J., Kriss, S. & Klenerman, L.(1987). A clinician's view of foot pressure: A comparison of three different methods of measurement. Foot & Ankle International, 7, 277-284. https://doi.org/10.1177/107110078700700503
- Hur, K. T., Ha, M. K.(2008). A Study on Quality Stabilization of Polyurethane Prepolymer for Medical Application. The Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engneers, The Journal of KSMPE Autumn Conference 2008, 277-282.
- Jeong, B. Y., Hah, H. B.(2004). The Change of the Foot Pressure According to the Material and Height of the Shoe Insole during Exercises. Korea Sport Research, 15(1), 911-924.
- Kang, H. J(2008). The Effect of Customized Insole for High-arched Patients with Hindfoot Supination. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Yonsei University.
- Kim, D. Y., & Choi, S. B.(2007). The Research on Functional Midsole that can Minimize Forefoot Pressure - Focusing on High-Heeled Pumps Type. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(2), 258-68. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.2.258
- Kim, E. H., Cho, H. K., Jung, T. W., Kim, S. S., & Chung, J. W.(2010). The Biomechanical Evaluation of Functional Insoles. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 20(3), 345-353. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2010.20.3.345
- Kim, H. E.(1986). A Study on Foot Measurement and Adult Women's Shoe Standard Size. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 24(3), 43-50.
- Kim, J. J., Choi, S. B., & Cha, S. E.(2007). A study on the ground reaction forces and plantar pressure variables in different safety shoes and applying insole during walking. Korean Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 17(2), 131-143.
- Lee, H. T., Kim, Y. J.(2010). The Effect of the Wedge Insole Angle of Supinated Group on Foot Contact Time, Foot Contact Area and Foot Pressure. Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education. 22(4), 508-515.
- Lee, J. S., Kim, Y. J., & Park, S. B.(2004). A Study of In-sole Plantar Pressure Distribution in Functional Tennis Shoes. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 14(3), 99-118.
- Lee, Y.(1994). Synthesis and Physical Porperties of Polyurethanes and their use as ISE Matrices. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Kwangwoon University.
- Mann, R. A.(1980). Biomechanics of Running in symposium on the Foot and Leg in Running Sports. R. P. Mack(ed), st.Louis. The C. V. Mosby Co.
- Moon, J. H., Lee, H. S., Kim, M. Y., Kim, S. W., & Chung, G. I.(1997). Foot Pressure Distribution of Normal Children. The Journal of Korean Academy of Rehabilitation Medicine, 21(4), 755-761.
- Mundermann, A., Stefanyshyn, D. J., & Nigg, B. M(2001). Relationship between comfort of shoe inserts and anthropometric and sensory factors. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 33(11), 1939-1945. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200111000-00021
- Munro, C. F., Miller, D. I., & Fuglevand, A. J.(1987). Ground reaction forces in running: A reexamination. Journal of Biomechanics, 20, 147-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(87)90306-X
- Nigg, B. M.(1986). Biomechanics of Running Shoes. Champaign, IL, Human Kinetics Publishers.
- Park, J. J.(2009). A Comparative Analysis on Changer of Foot Pressure by Shoe Heel Height during Walking. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 19(4), 771-778. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2009.19.4.771
- Park, S. J., & Park, S. K.(1996). Pressure sensor using shear piezoresistance of polysilicon films. Journal of the Korean Sensors Society, 5(5), 31-37.
- Pratt, D. J., Rees, P. H. & Rodgers, C.(2000). Assessment of some shock absorbing insoles. Prosthetics and Orthotics International, 10(1), 157-162.
- Roh, J. S., & Kim, T. H.(2001). Reliability of Plantar Pressure Measures Using the Parotec System. Journal of the Korean Academy of University Trained Physical Therapists, 8(3), 35-41.
- Saltzman, C. L., Nawoczenski, D. A., & et al.,(1995). Measurement of the medial longitudinal arch. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 76(1), 45-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(95)80041-7
- Shin, S. W.(1997). Classification of foot types and analysis for pressure distribution according to the height of heel during walking. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate School of Keimyung University.
- Song, D. R.(2007). Construction of a Finite Element Foot-Ankle Joint Complex and Finite Element Analysis for Changes of Hardness and Height of Outsole. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Inje University.
- 1. A Study on Changes in Biomechanical Characteristics of the Foot with Respect to Wedge-type Insole Thickness vol.34, pp.2, 2013, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.4.479
- 2. The Analysis of Foot Pressure and Lap Time for the Development of Korean Bobsleigh Shoes vol.25, pp.4, 2015, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.4.479
- 3. Analysis of Plantar Foot Pressure according to Insole Types during Treadmill Gait vol.25, pp.1, 2015, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.4.479
- 4. Analysis of Plantar Pressure Differences between Flat Insole Trekking Shoes and Nestfit Trekking Shoes vol.25, pp.4, 2015, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.4.479
- 5. Biomechanical Analysis of Muscle Fatigue and Ground Reaction Force for the Development of Outdoor Walking Shoes vol.26, pp.4, 2016, doi:10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.4.479