- Volume 27 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Molecular Characterization of Fusarium Graminearum Virus 2 Isolated from Fusarium graminearum Strain 98-8-60
- Yu, Ji-Suk (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Fungal Pathogenesis, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Kyung-Mi (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Fungal Pathogenesis, Seoul National University) ;
- Son, Moon-Il (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Fungal Pathogenesis, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Kook-Hyung (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Center for Fungal Pathogenesis, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2011.03.11
- Accepted : 2011.06.10
- Published : 2011.09.01
Fusarium graminearum virus 2 (FgV2) infects Fusarium graminearum strain 98-8-60 and has at least five segments of double-stranded RNAs (dsRNAs), denoted as dsRNA-1 to dsRNA-5. In this study, the genome of FgV2 was sequenced and its phylogenetic relationship with other mycoviruses was analyzed. The lengths of FgV2 dsRNAs 1-5 ranged from 2414 to 3580 base pairs (bp). The 5' and 3' untranslated regions (UTRs) are highly conserved, and each dsRNA segment had 78-105 and 84-306 bp of 5' and 3' UTRs, respectively. Each dsRNA segment contained a single open reading frame (ORF). Computer analysis of dsRNA-1 revealed a putative open reading frame (ORF) that shows high sequence identity with an RNA-dependent RNA polymerase (RdRp) containing eight conserved motifs. dsRNAs 2-5 also each contain one putative ORF coding for products of unknown function. The sequences of FgV2 dsRNA-2 and dsRNA-3 have significant sequence identity with Magnaporthe oryzae chrysovirus 1 (MoCV1) dsRNA-3 and -4, respectively. When compared to other dsRNA mycoviruses in a phylogenetic analysis of the putative RdRp protein, FgV2 was found to form a distinct virus clade with Aspergillus mycovirus 1816 and MoCV1 in the family Chrysoviridae.
- Bruenn, J. A. 1993. A closely related group of RNA-dependent RNA polymerases from double-stranded RNA viruses. Nucleic Acid Res. 21:567-569.
- Chu, Y.-M., Jeon, J.-J., Yea, S.-J., Kim, Y.-H., Yun, S.-H., Lee, Y.- W. and Kim, K.-H. 2004. Double-stranded RNA mycovirus from Fusarium graminearum. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 68:2529-2534.
- Chu, Y.-M., Lim, W.-S., Yea, S.-J., Cho, J.-D., Lee, Y.-W. and Kim, K.-H. 2004. Complexity of dsRNA mycovirus isolated from Fusarium graminearum. Virus Genes 28:135-143. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:VIRU.0000012270.67302.35
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. 2005. Rapid amplification of 5' complementary DNA ends (5' RACE). Nature Methods 2:629-630. https://doi.org/10.1038/nmeth0805-629
- Cook, R. J. 1981. Fusarium diseases of wheat and other small grains in North America. In: Fusarium diseases, biology, and taxonomy, ed. by P. E. Nelson, T. A. Toussoun and R. J. Cook, pp. 39-52. The Pennsylvania State University Press, University Park, United States.
- Darissa, O., Willingmann, P., Schafer, W. and Adam, G. 2011. A novel double-stranded RNA mycovirus from Fusarium graminearum: nucleic acid sequence and genomic structure. Arch. Virol. 156:647-658. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-010-0904-9
- Hammond, T. M., Andrewski, M. D., Roossinck, M. J. and Keller, N. P. 2008. Aspergillus mycoviruses are targets and suppressors of RNA silencing. Eukaryot. Cell 7:350-357. https://doi.org/10.1128/EC.00356-07
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV). 2010. Virus Taxonomy: 2009 Release. http://www.ictvonline.org/virusTaxonomy.asp?version=2009.
- Jamal, A., Bignellc, E. M. and Couttsa, R. H. 2010. Complete nucleotide sequences of four dsRNAs associated with a new chrysovirus infecting Aspergillus fumigates. Virus Res. 153: 64-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2010.07.008
- Kumar, S., Nei, M., Dudley, J. and Tamura, K. 2008. MEGA: A biologist-centric software for evolutionary analysis of DNA and protein sequences. Brief Bioinform. 9:299-306. https://doi.org/10.1093/bib/bbn017
- Kwon, S.-J., Lim, W.-S., Park, S.-H., Park, M.-R. and Kim, K.-H. 2007. Molecular characterization of a dsRNA mycovirus, Fusarium graminearum virus-DK21, which is phylogenetically related to hypoviruses but has a genome organization and gene expression strategy resembling those of plant potex-like viruses. Mol. Cells 23:304-315.
- Lee, S.-H., Lee, J., Nam, Y. J., Lee, S., Ryu, J.-G. and Lee, T. 2010. Population structure of Fusarium graminearum from maize and rice in 2009 in Korea. Plant Pathol. J. 26:321-327. https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.2010.26.4.321
- Pearson, M. N., Beever, R. E., Boine, B. and Arthur, K. 2009. Mycoviruses of filamentous fungi and their relevance to plant pathology. Mol. Plant. Pathol. 10:115-128. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1364-3703.2008.00503.x
- Urayama, S., Kato, S., Suzuki, Y., Aoki, N., Le, M. T., Arie, T., Teraoka, T., Fukuhara, T. and Hiromitsu, M. 2010. Mycoviruses related to chrysovirus affect vegetative growth in the rice blast fungus Magnaporthe oryzae. J. Gen. Virol. 91:3085-3094. https://doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.025411-0
- Yu, J., Kwon, S.-J., Lee, K.-M., Son, M. and Kim, K.-H. 2009. Complete nucleotide sequence of double-stranded RNA viruses from Fusarium graminearum strain DK3. Arch. Virol. 154:1855-1858. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-009-0507-5
- The use of mycoviruses in the control of forest diseases vol.26, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/09583157.2015.1135877
- A dsRNA mycovirus, Magnaporthe oryzae chrysovirus 1-B, suppresses vegetative growth and development of the rice blast fungus vol.448, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virol.2013.10.022
- Complete genome sequence of a novel dsRNA mycovirus isolated from the phytopathogenic fungus Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. dianthi vol.160, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-015-2509-9
- The genome sequence of Brassica campestris chrysovirus 1, a novel putative plant-infecting tripartite chrysovirus vol.162, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-016-3196-x
- A Comparison of Transcriptional Patterns and Mycological Phenotypes following Infection of Fusarium graminearum by Four Mycoviruses vol.9, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0100989
- Suppressive effects of mycoviral proteins encoded by Magnaporthe oryzae chrysovirus 1 strain A on conidial germination of the rice blast fungus vol.223, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2016.06.010
- Duplications in the 3′ termini of three segments of Fusarium graminearum virus China 9 vol.162, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-016-3174-3
- Genome-wide expression profiling shows transcriptional reprogramming in Fusarium graminearum by Fusarium graminearum virus 1-DK21 infection vol.13, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2164-13-173
- Characterization of Magnaporthe oryzae Chrysovirus 1 Structural Proteins and Their Expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae vol.86, pp.15, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.00871-12
- The HEX1 Gene of Fusarium graminearum Is Required for Fungal Asexual Reproduction and Pathogenesis and for Efficient Viral RNA Accumulation of Fusarium graminearum Virus 1 vol.87, pp.18, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.01026-13
- Novel Mitoviruses and a Unique Tymo-Like Virus in Hypovirulent and Virulent Strains of the Fusarium Head Blight Fungus, Fusarium boothii vol.10, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/v10110584
- Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. dianthi virus 1 Accumulation Is Correlated with Changes in Virulence and Other Phenotypic Traits of Its Fungal Host vol.108, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-06-17-0200-R
- Mycovirus associated hypovirulence, a potential method for biological control of Fusarium species vol.29, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13337-018-0438-4
- Identification and Characterization of a Novel Hepta-Segmented dsRNA Virus From the Phytopathogenic Fungus Colletotrichum fructicola vol.9, pp.1664-302X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2018.00754