- Volume 14 Issue 5
This paper suggests a reinterpretation on Calvert's thesis of the conflict between "shop culture" and "school culture". Robert H. Thurston, who Calvert portraited as the proponent of school culture, was a man from shop culture and the shop culuture's old boy network was essential for Thurston's many achievements as an engineer and educater. This reinterpretation based on the narrowing the scope of the American mechanical engineers in the 19th century into those who shared and inherited the social recognition as the leading machinists from the social upper strata machinist such as the Stevens via machine tool makers of the mid century.
Shop culture;School culture;Science and engineering;Mechanical engineers;ASME;The 19th Century America
- The American Society of Mechanical Engineers.(1980). Mechanical Engineers in America. Born Prior to 1861. A Biographical Dictionary. New York, NY : The American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Bishop, Morris(1962). A History of Cornell. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- Calhoun, Daniel H.(1960). The American Civil Engineer. Cambridge, MA : M.I.T. Press.
- Calvert, Monte A.(1967). The Mechanical Engineer in America, 1830-1910: Professional Cultures in Conflict. Baltimore, MD : The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Clark, Geoffrey W.(2000). History of Stevens Institute of Technology. A Record of Broad-Based Curricula and Technologies. Jersey City, NJ : Jensen/Daniels Publishers.
- Durand, William F.(1939). Dr. Robert Henry Thurston's Eighteen Years at Cornell. Science, 90(2346): 547-552 https://doi.org/10.1126/science.90.2346.547
- Edgerton, David.(2006). The Shock of the Old: Technology and Global History since 1900. New York, NY : Oxford University Press.
- Ferguson, Eugene S.(1979). The Americanness of American Technology. Technology and Culture, 20(1): 3-24. https://doi.org/10.2307/3103109
- Ferguson, Eugene S.(1980). Introduction. Mechanical Engineers in America. Born Prior to 1861. A Biographical Dictionary. New York, NY : The American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Furman, Franklin De Ronde(1905). Morton memorial; a history of the Stevens institute of technology, with biographies of the trustees, faculty, and alumni, and a record of the achievements of the Stevens family of engineers. Hoboken, NJ : Stevens Institute of Technology.
- Green, Benjamin F. [Director of Institute](1855). The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Its Its Reorganization in 1849-50; Its Condition at the Present Time; Its Plans and Hopes for the Future. Troy, NY : D. H. Jones & Co.
- Harwood, Jonathan(2006). Engineering Education between Science and Practice: Rethinking the Historiography. History and Technology 22(1): 53-79. https://doi.org/10.1080/07341510500497210
- Hutton, Frederick Remsen(1915). A History of The American Society of Mechanical Engineers From 1880 To 1915. New York, NY : The American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Kline, Ronald(1995). Construing "Technology" as "Applied Science": Public Rhetoric of Scientists and Engineers in the United States, 1880-1945. Isis 86(2): 194-221. https://doi.org/10.1086/357153
- Latrobe, Benjamin Henry(1809). First Report of Benjamin Henry Latrobe, to the American Philosophical Society, Held at Philadelphia; In Answer to the Enquiry of the Society of Rotterdam, "Whether Any, and What Improvements Have Been Made in the Construction of Steam-Engines in America?" Transactions of the American Philosophical Society, 6: 89-98. https://doi.org/10.2307/1004775
- Meiksins, Peter(1996). Engineering Labour: Technical Workers in Comparative Perspective New York, NY : Verso.
- Meyer, David R.(2006). Networked Machinists: High-Technology Industries in Antebellum America. Baltimore, MA : The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Porter, Theodore M.(1996). Trust in Numbers: The Pursuit of Objectivity in Science and Public Life. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
- Ricketts, Palmer C.(1934). History of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1924-1934. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Rosenberg, Charles(1967). A Study in Professionalization, [Review of] The Mechanical Engineer in America, 1830-1910. Science, 157(3796): 1546-1547. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.157.3796.1546
- Seely, Bruce(1999). The Other Re-engineering of Engineering Education, 1900-1965. Journal of Engineering Education 88(3): 285-294 https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2168-9830.1999.tb00449.x
- Sinclair, Bruce, ed.(1967). Early research at the Franklin Institute; The investigation into the causes of steam boiler explosions 1830-1837. Philadelphia, PA : Franklin Institute.
- Sinclair, Bruce(1974). Philadelphia's Philosopher Mechanics: A History of the Franklin Institute, 1824-1865. Baltimore, MA : The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Sinclair, Bruce(1990). Centennial History of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1880-1980. Baltimore, MA : University of Toronto Press.
- Smith, Merritt Roe(2010). "God Speed the Institute": The Foundational Years, 1861-1894. David Kaiser, ed., Becoming MIT: Moments of Decision. Cambridge, MA : The MIT Press: 15-36.
- Starr, Paul(1982). The Social Transformation of American Medicine: The Rise of a Sovereign Profession and the Making of a Vast Industry. New York, NY : Basic Books.
- Steinmetz, Charles P.(1899). [Review of] The Elements of Alternating Currents. Science, 10(261): 964-965. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.10.261.964
- Stevens, John(1812) Documents Tending To Prove The Superior Advantages Of Railways And Steam Carriages Over Canal Navigation. New York, NY : T. & J. Swords.
- [Stevens Institute of Technology][(1871)]. Announcement of the Stevens Institute of Technology. Hoboken, NJ : [Stevens Institute of Technology]
- [Stevens Institute of Technology](1872). Announcement of the Stevens Institute of Technology. New York, NY : Russels' American Steam Printing House.
- Thomson, Ross(2009). Structures of Change in the Mechanical Age: Technological Innovation in the United States, 1790-1865. Baltimore, MA : The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Thurston, Robert H.(1878). A History of the Growth of the Steam Engine. New York, NY: D. Appleton and Company.
- Thurston, Robert H.(1890). The Border-Land of Science. The North American Review, 150(398): 67-79.
- Thurston, Robert H.(1899). Limitations of Thermodynamics. Science, 10(252): 619-620. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.10.252.619
- Watkins, J. Elfreth(1892). Biographical Sketeches. Washington DC: Press of W. F. Roberts.