- Volume 11 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
An Efficient Authentication Method for Secure Access to Wireless Mesh Networks
무선망 보안 접속을 위한 효율적인 인증 기법
- 허웅 (전북대학교 전자공학부 영상정보신기술연구센터) ;
- 하우산 (전북대학교 전자공학부 영상정보신기술연구센터) ;
- 유강수 (전주대학교 교양학부) ;
- 최재호 (전북대학교 전자공학부 영상정보신기술연구센터)
- Received : 2011.05.27
- Accepted : 2011.08.26
- Published : 2011.09.28
The wireless mesh networks are recently getting much attention for commercial applications. In such networks, the service should be uninterrupted when roaming from one domain to another while the authentication for a secure access should be maintained. The challenge is to consider the authentic coordination between the home domain and foreign domains and the maintenance of local authenticity between foreign domains. In this paper, a novel authentication method is presented so that a mobile mesh node can be effectively authenticated and obtain an secure connection in foreign domains. In the proposed method, the authentication process does not rely on an end-to-end connection between the foreign domain and the home domain. Even without a connectivity to the home domain, the foreign domain can provide an effective authentication of a mesh node by consulting one of the neighboring foreign domains that has been visited by the mobile mesh node. In order to verify the performance of our proposed method, a qualitative analysis has been performed and compared to those of conventional methods. The results show that our method is superior to the conventional ones in terms of authentication response time and authentication service robustness.
Wireless Mesh Network;Access Security;Authentication;Roaming
- I. F. Akyildiz, X. Wang, and W. Wang, "Wireless mesh networks: a survey," Computer Networks, Vol.47, No.4, pp.445-487, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2004.12.001
- E. Hossain and Kin K.L Wireless Mesh Networks : architectures and protocols, Springer Verlag, 2008.
- P. Qiu, U. Heo, and J. Choi, "A gateway protocol architecture for Zigbee based sensor network interconnecting TCP/IP networks," Vol.10, No.3, pp.176-180, KISPS, 2009.
- S. Glass, M. Portmann, and V. Muthukkumarasamy, "Securing Wireless Mesh Network," IEEE Internet Computing, Vol.12, No.4, pp.30-36, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIC.2008.85
- C. Lee, H. Oh, and S. Kim, "A New Authentication Protocol for IEEE 802.11 using a Group Key Supporting Fast Handover," Proc. of ICCIT 2007, pp.269-272, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCIT.2007.323
- E. Bresson, O. Chevassut, A. Essiari, and D. Pointcheval, "Mutual authentication and group key agreement for low-power mobile devices," Computer Communications, Vol.27, No.17, pp.1730-1734, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2004.05.023
- T. R. Im, Hwaseong Lee, K. T. Cho, and D. H. Lee, "Secure Mutual Authentication and Fair Billing for Roaming Service In Wireless Mobile Networks," Proc. of ICCIT 2008, Vol.2, pp.466-471, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCIT.2008.215
- European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), GSM 2.09: Security Aspects, 1993.
- HY. Lin and L. Harn, "Authentication protocols for personal communication systems," Proc. of SIGCOMM'95, Vol.25, No.4, pp.256-261, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1145/217391.217456
- D. Johnson, C. Perkins, and J. Arkko Mobility support in IPv6, RFC 3775, Jun. 2004.
- M. Long, C. Wu, and J. D. Irwin, "Localized Authentication for Wireless LAN Internetwork Roaming," Proc. of WCNC 2004, Vol.1, pp.264-267, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/WCNC.2004.1311554
- S. R. Tuladhar, C. E. Caicedo, and J. B. D. Joshi, "Inter-Domain Authentication for Seamless Roaming in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks," Proc. of SUTC'08, pp.249-255, 2008(6). https://doi.org/10.1109/SUTC.2008.61
- B. Aboba and D. Simon, PPP EAP TLS Authentication Protocol, IETF RFC 2716, Oct. 1999.
- Y. Zhang and Y. Fang, "A Secure Authentication and Billing Architecture for Wireless Mesh Networks," Wireless Networks, Vol.13, No.5, pp.663-678, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11276-006-8148-z
- Y. Chen, J. Jan, and C. Chen, "A Fair and Secure Mobile Billing System," Computer Networks, Vol.48, No.4, pp.517-524, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2004.10.011
- D. Zhang, U. Heo, and J. Choi, "Neighborhood based security for wireless sensor networks," Proc. of KISPS, Vol.11, No.1, pp.166-169, 2010.