- Volume 11 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Impact of the Intermediate of Empowerment on the Relationship between Servant Leadership and Organizational Citizenship Behavior
서번트 리더십과 조직시민행동의 관계에서 임파워먼트의 매개효과
- 한진환 (충청대학 경영학부)
- Received : 2011.05.24
- Accepted : 2011.08.29
- Published : 2011.09.28
In today's fast changing management environment, new role of leaders is being emphasized for survival of companies, and organizational achievement must be maximized by using servant leadership strategically. Data were collected from the sample of 435 employee employed service. All analysis were conducted using LISREL 8.30. The research studies how servant leadership influences organizational citizenship behavior through psychological empowerment. The result is as follows. First, it is found that, among the servant leadership's behavior characters, except for empathy and ethics, growth, vision and community building are found to be variables that increase psychological empowerment. Secondly, it is fund that psychological empowerment of organization's members has positive correlation on organizational citizenship behavior. Thirdly, it is found that among the servant leadership's behavior characters, except for empathy and ethics, growth, vision and community building are found to have meaningful positive influence over organized citizens' behavior through psychological empowerment. Likewise, the result means the servant leadership increases organizational citizenship behavior of the members through empowerment. For servant leadership to promote organizational citizenship behavior, it is suggested to emphasize empowerment. In other words, it is important to empower subordinates for servant leadership to make more useful and complete achievement in the organization.
Servant Leadership;Vision;Community Building;Growth;Empowerment;Organizational Citizenship Behavior
- 김민숙, 외식기업관리자의 서번트리더십이 신뢰와 임파워먼트에 미치는 영향, 경기대학교 석사학위논문, 2005.
- 김범수, 서번트 리더십이 병원 종사자의 직무만족과 조직시민행동에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구, 부산대학교 석사학위논문, 2007.
- 김익철, 서번트 리더십이 개인 및 집단 임파워먼트에 미치는 영향, 고려대학교 석사학위논문, 2004.
- 김창환, 호텔 매니저의 서번트 리더십이 조직유효성과 조직시민행동에 미치는 영향, 안양대학교 박사학위논문, 2006.
- 박원우, "Empowerment: 파워다툼에서 파워증대로의 사고․행동전환", 노사관계연구, 서울대학교 경영대학 노사관계연구소, Vol.3, pp.197-210, 1998.
- 백기복, 리더십리뷰-이론과 실제, 창민사, 2005.
- 신구범, "서번트 리더십, 변혁적 리더십과 거래적 리더십 간의 관계에 관한 실증분석", 인적자원관리연구, Vol.16, No.1, pp.87-101, 2009.
- 윤대균, 호텔조직에서의 서번트 리더십이 종업원의 태도에 미치는 영향, 대구대학교 박사학위논문, 2004.
- 이미란, 이슈리더십이 조직성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 실증연구 : 임파워먼트의 매개효과 검증을 통하여, 전북대 석사학위논문, 2006.
- 정기산, 중간관리자의 리더십 유형별 행동특성과 신뢰와의 관계, 서울대학교 대학원 박사학위논문, 2002.
- 정용수, 서번트 리더십과 팀효과성의 관계에서 임파워먼트의 매개역할 분석, 충남대학교 석사학위논문, 2007.
- 최동규, 서번트 리더십이 조직시민행동과 조직 몰입에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구, 숭실대학교 박사학위논문, 2008.
- 최익봉, 이재훈, "리더의 임파워먼트 행위, 신뢰와 조직시민행동 간의 관련성에 관한 연구", 인사조직연구, Vol.14, No.2, pp.215-247, 2006.
- 한진환, "잔류종업원의 고용불안의 선행요인 및 고용불안이 임파워먼트와 조직시민행동에 미치는 영향", 대한경영학회지, Vol.19, No.4, pp.1219-1244, 2006.
- 한진환, "조직후원인식, 리더-구성원 교환관계의 질이 임파워먼트와 조직시민행동에 미치는 영향", 경영연구, Vol.22, No.3, pp.259-284, 2007.
- A. L. Ackfeldt and L. Coote, "A study of organizational citizenship behaviors in a retail setting," Journal of Business Research, In Press, Correted Proof, Available online 22, pp.151-159, 2003(7).
- M. J. Ahearne, "An examination of the effects of leadership empowerment behaviors and organizational citizenship behaviors on sales team performance," Doctoral Dissertation, Indiana University, 2000.
- J. C. Anderson and W. G. David, "Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.103, No.3, pp.411-423, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- R. P. Bagozzi and T. F. Heatherton, "A General Approach to Representing Multifaced Personality Constructs: Application to State Self-esteem," Structural Equation Modeling, Vol.1, pp.35-67, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519409539961
- B. M. Bass, "Leadership and performance beyond expectations," New York: Free Press, 1985.
- P. Block, "Stewardship: Choosing Service over Self-interest," Berrett-Koehler, San Francisco, CA, 1993.
- P. Block, "From leadership to citizenship, In Spears," L. C.,(Ed.), Insights on leadership: Service, Stewardship, Spirit, and Servant-Leadership, New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1998.
- J. M. Burns, "Leadership," New York: Harper & Row, 1978.
- J. A. Conger and R. N. Kanungo, "The Empowerment Process: Integrating theory and practice," Academy of Management Review, Vol.13, pp.471-482, 1988.
- R. S. Dennis and M, Bocarnea, "Development of the servant leadership assessment instrument," Leadership & Organization Development Journal, Vol..26, No.8, pp,600-615, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437730510633692
- M. G. Ehrhart, "Leadership and Procedural Justice Climate as Antecedent so funit-level Organizational Citizenship Behavior," Personnel Psychology, Vol..57, No.22, pp.61-94, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2004.tb02484.x
- C. Fornell and D. F. Karcker, "Evaluating Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error," Journal of Marketing, Vol.156, pp.39-50, 1981.
- S. H. Girard, "Servant Leadership Qualities exhibited by lllinois public School district Superintendents," Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Saint Louis University, 2000.
- R. K. Greenleaf, "The servant as leader, Indianapolis," The Robert K. Greenleaf Center, 1970.
- R. K. Greenleaf, "The power of servant leadership," Ed, by Spears, L. C., Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc, 1998.
- C. Hui, "Effect of Leadership Empowerment Behaviors and Follower's Personal Control, Voice, and Self-efficacy on inrole Performance : An extension and empirical test of Conger and Kanungo's empowerment process model," Doctoral Dissertation, Indiana University, 1994.
- D. Irvine, P. Leatt, M. G. Evans, and R. G. Baker, "Measurement of staff empowerment within health service organizations", Journal of Nursing Measurement, Vol.7, pp.79-96, 1999.
- A. J. Laub, "Assessing the Servant Organization: Development of the Servant Organizational Leadership Assessment (SOLA) Instrument," Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Florida Atlantic University, 1999.
- J. D. Lewis and A. Weigert, "Trust as a Social Reality" Social Forces, Vol.63, pp.967-985, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/63.4.967
- T. D. Little, A. William, G. S. Cunningham, and K. F. Widaman, "To Parcel or Not in Parcel : Exploring the Question, Weighing the Merits," Structural Equation Modelling, Vol..9, No.2, pp.151-173, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15328007SEM0902_1
- M. P. Livovich, "An investigation of servant leadership in public school superintendents in the state of indiana", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Indiana State University, 1999.
- J. E. Mathieu and J. L. Farr, "Further Evidence for the Discriminant Validity of Measures of Organizational Commitment, Job Involvement, and Job satisfaction," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.76, No.1, pp.127-133, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.76.1.127
- R. H. Moorman and B. P. Niehoff, "Does Perceived Organizational Support Mediate the Relationship between Procedural Justice and Organizational Citizenship Behavior?," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.41, pp.351-357, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/256913
- B. P. Neihoff and R. H. Moorman, "Justice as a Mediator of the Relationship between Monitoring and Organizational Citizenship Behavior," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.36, pp.527-556, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/256591
- A. G. Stone, R. F. Russell, and K. Patterson, "Transformational versus servant leadership? a difference in leader focus," Leadership & Organization Development Journal, Vol.25, No.4, pp.349-361, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437730410538671
- R. Peccei, and P. Rosenthal, "Delivering Customer-oriented Behavior through Empowerment: An Empirical test of HRM Assumptions," Journal of Management Studies, Vol.38, No.6, pp.831- 857, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-6486.00261
- J. Rushton, C. Philippe, J. Brainerd, and P. Michael, "Behavioral Development and Construct Validity: The Principle of Aggregation," Psychological Bulletin, Vol.94, No.1, pp.18-38. 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.94.1.18
- L. C. Spears, "Insights on leadership : Service," stewardship, spirit, and Servantleadership. New York : John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 1995.
- G. M. Spreitzer, "Psychological Empowerment in the Workplace: Dimensions, Measurement, and Validation," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.38, No.5, pp.1142-1165, 1995.
- A. B. Stone, F. Robert, and K. P. Russell, "Transformational versus servant leadership : A difference in leadership focus", The leadership & Organizational Development Journal, Vol.25, no.4, pp.362-372, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437730410538680
- H. Sujan, B. A. Weitz, and N. Kumar, "Learning Orientation, Working Smart and Effective Selling," Journal of Marketing, Vol.58, pp.39-52, 1994(7). https://doi.org/10.2307/1252309
- I. O. Ugboro and K. Obeng, "Top management Leadership, Employee Empowerment, Job Satisfaction, and Customer Satisfaction in TQM Organizations: An Empirical Study," Journal of Quality Management, Vol.5, No.2, pp.247-272, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1084-8568(01)00023-2
- J. F. Vogt and K. L. Murrell, "Empowerment in Organizations: How to spark Exceptional Performance," Pfeffer & Company, 1990.
- R. S. Wellings, W. Byham, and J. Wilson, "Empowered Teams: Creating Self-directed Work Groups that Improve Quality, Productivity, and Participation," San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1991.
- G. A. Yukl, "Leading organizational learning: Reflections on theory and research," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.20, No.1, pp.49-53, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.leaqua.2008.11.006