- Volume 11 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Ethical Climate and Turnover Intentions in Travel Agency -Mediating of Trust and Organizational Identification-
여행사에서의 윤리적 풍토와 이직의도 -신뢰와 조직 동일시의 매개효과-
- Received : 2011.06.29
- Accepted : 2011.09.06
- Published : 2011.09.28
The purpose of this study was to research the relationships among ethical climate, trust, organizational identification and turnover intention of employees in travel agency. Ethical climates the prevailing perceptions of typical organizational practices and procedures that have ethical content. Ethical climate involves the perceptions of rightness or wrongness present in the organization's work environment, and establishes the norms for acceptable and unacceptable behavior within the company. To accomplish this study, it was determined that the analysis derived from a hypothesis and literature reviews and data collected from 231 employees in travel agency. The results of empirical analysis showed as follows. First, Perceived ethical climate has a significant effect on trust, organizational identification and turnover intention. Second, Organizational identification has a significant effect on turnover intention while trust has no relationship with it. In addition, the mediating role of organizational identification is examined in the relationship between ethical climate and turnover intention. Based on these findings, the implications and limitations of the study were presented including some directions for future studies.
Ethical Climate;Trust-in-Supervisor;Organizational Identification;Turnover Intention
- 김태정, "한국기업과 미국기업 윤리의 비교분석", 기업윤리연구, pp.195-220, 2003.
- 한광현, "윤리경영과 근로자의 편향적 과업행동에 관한 연구", 대한경영학회지, 제23권, 제6호, pp.3353-3379, 2010.
- 신유근, 한국의 기업윤리, 세경원, 1992.
- G. Luria and D. Yagil, "Procedural Justice, Ethical Climate and Service Outcomes in Restaurants," International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol.27, pp.276-283, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2007.07.022
- T. L. Baker, T. G. Hunt, and M. C. Andrews, "Promoting Ethical Behavior and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors: The Influence of Corporate Ethical Values," Journal of Business Research, Vol.59, pp.849-857, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2006.02.004
- J. B. DeConinck, "The Effect of Ethical Climate on Organizational Identification, Supervisory Trust, and Turnover among Salespeople," Journal of Business Research, Vol.64, pp.617-624, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2010.06.014
- T. B. Lopez, B. J. Babin, and C. Chung, "Perceptions of Ethical Work Climate and Person Organization Fit among Retail Employees in Japan and the US," Journal of Business Research, Vol.62, pp.594-600, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.05.018
- L. K. Trevino, K. D. Butterfield, and D. L. McCabe, "The Ethical Context in Organizations: Influence on Employee Attitudes and Behavior," Journal Business Ethics, Vol.8, pp.447-476, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/3857431
- B. Victor and J. B. Cullen, "The Organizational Bases of Ethical Work Climate," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.33, pp.101-125, 1988. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392857
- J. L. Thomas, S. J. Vitell, F. W. Gilbert, and G. M. Rose, "The Impact of Ethical Cues on Customer Satisfaction with Service," Journal of Retailing, Vol.78, pp.167-173.
- F. Jaramillo, J. P. Mulki, and P. Solomon, "The Role of Ethical Climate on Salesperson's Role Stress, Job Attitudes, Turnover Intention and Job Performance," Journal Persons of Sell Sales Manage, pp.271-282, 2006.
- K. T. Dirks and D. L. Ferrin, "Trust in Leadership: Meta-Analytic Findings and Implications for Research and Practice," Journal of Psychology, Vol.87, pp.611-628, 2002.
- G. E, Kreiner and B. E. Ashforth, "Evidence tow ard an Expanded Model of Organizational Identification," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.25, pp.1-27, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.234
- B. Schneider, "The People Make the Place," Personnel Psychology, Vol.40, pp.437-453, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1987.tb00609.x
- 이학종, 이종건, "조직구성원의 윤리풍토에 대한 지각과 조직효율성간의 관계에 관한 실증연구", 기업윤리연구, Vol.2, pp.107-129, 2000.
- R. C. Mayer, J. H. Davis, and F. D. Schoolman, "An Integrative Model of Organizational Trust," Academy of Management Review, Vol.20, No.3, pp.709-734, 1995.
- J. Cook and T. Wall, "New Work Attitude Measures of Trust, Organizational Commitment, and Personal Need Nonfulfillment," Journal of Occupational Psychology, Vol.53, pp.39-52, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1980.tb00005.x
- S. B. Sitkin and N. L. Roth "Explaining the Limited Effectiveness of Legalistic "Remedies" for Trust/Distrust," Organization Science, Vol.4, pp.367-392, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.4.3.367
- B. Barber, The Logic and Limits of Trust, New Jersey, New Brunswick, 1983.
- J. K. Butler, "Toward Understanding and Measuring Conditions of Trust : Evolution of a Conditions of Trust Inventory," Journal of Management, Vol.17, pp.643-663, 1991.
- R. C. Lewis and H. Booms, The Marketing of Se rvice Quality, in Emerging Perspectives on Service Marketing, Berry, L., Shostack, G., & Upah, G.(ed.), American Management Association, Chicago, 1983.
- D. J. McAllister, "Affect-and Cognition-Based Trust as Foundations for Interpersonal Cooperation in Organizations," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.38, No.1, pp.24-59, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/256727
- D. M. Pousseau, "Why Works still Identity with Organizations," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.19, pp.217-233, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199805)19:3<217::AID-JOB931>3.0.CO;2-N
- S. L. Blader and T. R. Tyler, "Testing and Extending the Group Engagement Mode l:Linkages between Social Identy, Procedural Justice, Economic Outcomes, and Extrarole Behavior," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.94, pp.445-464, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0013935
- P. Foreman and D. A. Whetten, "Members' Identification with Multiple-Identy Organizations," Organization Science, Vol.13, pp.618-635, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.13.6.618.493
- A. Smidts, A. Pruyn, and C. Van Riel, "The Impact of Employee Communication and Perceived External Prestige on Organizational Identification", Academy of Management Journal, Vol.44, pp.1051-1062, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/3069448
- 김원형, "조직 동일시와 조직 몰입의 선행변수와 결과 변수간의 인과 관계 모형, 한국심리학회지, 제15권, 제2호, pp.23-121, 2002.
- J. P. Meyer and N. Allen, "A Three Component Conceptualization of Organizational Commitment," Human Resource Management Review," Vol.1, pp.61-89, 1984.
- R. P. Steel and N. K. Ovalle, "A Review and Meta Analysis of Research on the Relationship Between Behavior Intentions and Employee Turnover," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.69, No.4, pp.673-686, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.69.4.673
- L. T. Hosmer, "Why be Moral? A Different Rationale for Manager", Business Ethics Quarterly, Vol.4, No.2, pp.191-204, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/3857491
- D. Strutton, A. Toma, and L. E. Pelton, "A Relationship between Psychological Climate and Trust between Salespersons and Their Managerin Sales Organizations," Psychological Reports, Vol.72, pp.931-939, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1922.214.171.1241
- J. P. Mulki, F. Jaramillo, and W. B. Locander, "Effects of Ethical Climate and Supervisory Trust on Salesperson's Job Attitudes and Intentions to Quit," Journal Persons Sell Sales Manage, Vol.26, pp.19-26, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2753/PSS0885-3134260102
- S. Tangirala, S. G. Green, and R. Ramanujam, "In the Saadow of the Boss's Boss: Effects of Supervisors's upward Exchange Relationships on Employees," Journal of Psychology, Vol.92, pp.309-320, 2007.
- J. E. Dutton, D. L. Ferrin, and C. V. Harquail, "Organizational Images and Members Identification," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.29, pp.239-263, 1994.
- M. E. Olkkonen and J. Lipponen, "Relationships between Organizational Justice, Identification with Organization and work unit, and Group-related Outcomes," Organizational Behavior Human Decision Processes, Vol.100, pp.202-215, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.obhdp.2005.08.007
- J. R. Edwards and D. M. Cable, "The Value of Value Congruence," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.94, pp.654-677, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0014891
- F. Jaramillo, J. P. Mulki and P. Solomon, "The Role of Ethical Conflict on Salespersons's Role Stress, Job Attitudes, Turnover Intention, and Job Performance," Journal of Personnel Selling and Sales Management, Vol.26, No.2, pp.271-282, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2753/PSS0885-3134260302
- 오인수, 한지현, 김영록, 유태용, "정서역량이 상사-부하간 관계를 통해서 상사관련 스트레스와 이직의도에 미치는 간접효과 모형의 검증", 한국심리학회지: 산업 및 조직, 제19권, 제1호, pp.39-59, 2006.
- 김민주, 장영옥, "우리나라 관광통역안내사의 이직의도 영향요인에 관한 연구", 관광경영학연구, 제8권, 제3호, pp.1-22, 2004.
- 서인덕, 도재욱, "조직문화 지각이 조직몰입 및 이직의도에 미치는 영향에 있어서 조직 동일시의 매개효과", 인적자원관리연구, 제14권, 제2호, pp.77-97, 2007.
- B. E. Ashforth and F. Mael, "Social Identity Theory and Organization," Academy of Mana gement Review, Vol.14, pp.20-39, 1989.
- P. K. Gambetta, "Cosmopolitan-Local: A Factor Analysis if the Construct," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.18, pp.223-235, 1988.
- W. H. Mobley, Employee Turnover: Causes, Consequencys, and Control, Reading, Mass: Addison-Wesley, 1982.
- D. P. MacKinnon, C. M. Lockwood, J. M. Hoff man, S. G. West, and V. Sheets, "A Comparison of Methods to Test Mediation and Other Intervening Variable Effectsm," Psychological Methods, Vol.7, pp.83-104, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.7.1.83
- G. C. Homans, The Human Group, NY: Ha rcourt, 1950.