- Volume 10 Issue 3
Job shop scheduling is well-known as one of the hardest combinatorial optimization problems and has been demonstrated to be NP-hard problem. In the past decades, several researchers have devoted their effort to develop evolutionary algorithms such as Genetic Algorithm (GA) and Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) for job shop scheduling problem. Differential Evolution (DE) algorithm is a more recent evolutionary algorithm which has been widely applied and shown its strength in many application areas. However, the applications of DE on scheduling problems are still limited. This paper proposes a one-stage differential evolution algorithm (1ST-DE) for job shop scheduling problem. The proposed algorithm employs random key representation and permutation of m-job repetition to generate active schedules. The performance of proposed method is evaluated on a set of benchmark problems and compared with results from an existing PSO algorithm. The numerical results demonstrated that the proposed algorithm is able to provide good solutions especially for the large size problems with relatively fast computing time.
Evolutionary Algorithm;Differential Evolution;Scheduling;Job Shop
- Bean, J. C. (1994), Genetic algorithms and random keys for sequencing and optimization, ORSA Journal on Computing, 6(2), 154-160. https://doi.org/10.1287/ijoc.6.2.154
- Bierwirth, C. (1995), In E. Pesch, and S. Vo (Eds.), A generalized permutation approach to job shop scheduling with genetic algorithms, OR-Spektrum. Special issue: Applied Local Search, 17(213), 87-92.
- Bin, Q., Ling, W., De-Xian, H., and Xiong W. (2008), Scheduling multi-objective job shop using a memetic algorithm based on differential evolution. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing and Technology, 35, 1014-1027. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-006-0787-9
- Chakraborty, U. K. (ed.) (2008), Advances in Differential Evolution, Springer, Heidelberg.
- Cheng, R., Gen, M., and Tsujimura, Y. (1996), A tutorial survey of job-shop scheduling problems using genetic algorithms-I, representation. Computers and Industrial Engineering, 30, 983-997. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-8352(96)00047-2
- Fang L., Yutao Q., Zhuchang X., and Hongxia H. (2009), Discrete differential evolution for the job shop scheduling problem, Proceedings of the 1st ACM/SIGEVO Summit on Genetic and Evolutionaty Computation, China, 879-882.
- Garey, M. R., Johnson, D. S., and Sethi, R. (1976), The complexity of flow shop and job-shop scheduling. Mathematics of Operation Research, 1, 117-129. https://doi.org/10.1287/moor.1.2.117
- Godfrey, O. and Donald, D. (2006), Scheduling flow shop using differential evolution algorithm, European Journal of Operational Research, 171, 674-692. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2004.08.043
- Gonçalves, J. F., José, J., and Resende, M. G. C. (2005), A hybrid genetic algorithm for the job shop scheduling problem, European Journal of Operation Research, 167, 77-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2004.03.012
- Huang, K. L. and Liao, C. J. (2008), Ant colony optimization combined with taboo search for the job shop scheduling problem, Computer and Operations Research, 35, 1030-1046. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2006.07.003
- Price, K., Storn, R. M., and Lampinen, J. A. (2005), Differential Evolution: A Practical Approach to Global Optimization (Natural Computing Series), Springer, New York.
- Pongchairerks, P. and Kachitvichyanukul, V. (2009), A two-level particle swarm optimization algorithm on job-shop scheduling problems, International Journal of Operational Research, 4(4), 390-411.
- Pratchayaborirak, T. and Kachivichyanukul, V. (2011), A two-stage particle swarm optimization for multiobjective job shop scheduling problems, International Journal of Management Science and Engineering Management, 6(2), 84-93.
- Qian, B., Wang, L., Huang, D. X., and Wang, X. (2008), Scheduling multi-objective job shops using memetic algorithm based on differential evolution, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing and Technology, 35, 1014-1027. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-006-0787-9
- Quan-Ke, P., M. Fatih, T., and Yun-Chia, L. (2007), A discrete differential evolution algorithm for the permutation flowshop scheduling problem, Proceedings of the 9th Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, London, 126-133.
- Storn, R. and Price, K. (1995), Differential evolution-a simple and efficient adaptive scheme for global optimization over continuous spaces, Technical Report TR-95-012, International Computer Science, Berkeley, CA.
- Udomsakdigool, A. and Kachitvichyanukul, V. (2006), Two-way scheduling approach in ant algorithm for solving job shop problems, International Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, 5(2), 68-75.
- Udomsakdigool, A. and Kachitvichyanukul, V. (2008), Multiple-colony ant algorithm with forward-backward scheduling approach for job-shop scheduling problem, Advances in Industrial Engineering and Operation Research (Springle), chapter 4, 39-55.
- Wang, W. L., Wu, Q. D., and Song, Y. (2004), Modified adaptive genetic algorithms for solving job-shop scheduling problems, System Engineering Theory and Practice, 24(2), 58-62.
- Wang W., Xiang Z., and Xu X. (2008) Self-adaptive differential evolution and its application to jobshop scheduling, Proceeding of the 7th International Conference on System Simulation and Scientific Computing, 820-826.
- Yamada, T. and Nakano, R. (1995), A genetic algorithm with multi-step crossover for job-shop scheduling problems, Proceedings of the IEE/IEEE International Conference on Genetic Algorithms in Engineering Systems: Innovations and Applications, 146-151.
- Hybrid evolutionary optimisation with learning for production scheduling: state-of-the-art survey on algorithms and applications vol.56, pp.1-2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2018.1437288