- Volume 25 Issue 4
The installation of a topside structure can be categorized into the following stages: start, pre-lifting, lifting, lifted, rotating, positioning, lowering, mating, and end of installation. The transfer of the module onto the floating spar hull occurs in the last three stages, from lowering to the end. The coupled multi-body motions are calculated in both calm water and in irregular waves with a significant wave height (1.52m). The effects of the hydrodynamic interactions between the heavy lifting vessel and the spar hull during the lowering and mating stages are considered. The internal forces caused by the load transfer and ballasting are derived for the mating phases. The results of the internal forces for the calm water condition are compared with those in the irregular sea condition. Although the effect of the pitch motion on the relative vertical motion between the deck of the floating structure and the topside module is significant in the mating phases, the internal force induced pitch motion is too small to have this influence. However, the effect of the internal force on the wave-induced heave responses in the mating phases is noticeable in the irregular sea condition because transfer mass-induced draught changes for the floating structure are observed to have higher amplitudes than the external force induced responses. The impacts of the module on the spar hull in the mating phase are investigated.
Topside installation;Crane Vesse;Mating phase;Analytical Model;Coupled multi-body interaction;Motion Trajectory Analysis;Deepwater installation
- Chakrabarti, S.K. (2005). Handbook of Offshore Engineering, Elsevier Publication, 2005.
- Chan, H.S. (2003). "Global Wave Loads on Intact and Damaged Ro-Ro Ships in Regular Oblique Waves", Marine Structures 2003, Vol 16, No 4, 323-344. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0951-8339(03)00002-9
- Cveticanin, L. (1995), "Dynamic Behavior of the Lifting Crane mechanism", Mechanics Machine Theory, Vol 30, No 1, 1995, pp 141-151. https://doi.org/10.1016/0094-114X(94)00045-M
- Lee, J.H. (2010). Transportation, Launching and Installation Analysis of a Truss Spar, Newcastle University, 2010.
- Oortmerssen, G.van and Pinkster, J.A. (1976). "Computation of Ffirst and Second Order Wave Forces on Bodies Oscillation in Regular Waves", Proceedings 2nd International Conference Ship Hydrodynamics,. Berkeley, 1976.
- Sarpkaya, T. and Issacson, M. (1981), "Mechanics of Wave Forces on Offshore Structures", Van Norstrand Reinhold Company, 1981
- Schellin, T.E., Jiang, T. and Ostergaard, C. (1993). "Crane Ship Response to Wave Groups", Journal of Ship Research, Vol 37, No 3, Sept. 1993, pp 225-238.